PDA

View Full Version : rod and bearings

zigzag
01-18-2009, 01:53 PM
well i just found out my rod and bearings are going out.... i need the size of the bearings i need and the other specifications if there are any so i can get the right parts for the job at hand....

i tell you this week just keeps getting better....

AccordB20A
01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
well you have to pull your motor RIGHT to bits.
when you pull the end cap off the rod you will see a number written on the side of it.
You can relate that number to a colour from in a honda manual or something i belive.

zigzag
01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
shit i need to know before hand so when i tear it down i can order the part and have it ready by the time i get to replacing the rod and bearings....

1988 honda accord LX

anyway i can look it up?

lostforawhile
01-18-2009, 08:30 PM
the haynes manual is really good on rebuilding the engine i would go ahead and pick one up
you really need to measure your crank journals for wear and out of round also. and check the end play and other things. there is no way to know beforehand, each cap also has a number on it,this tells the deviation from standard as far as the crank journals. you need to dot punch each cap from one to four to make sure you don't mix them up,the numbers on them do not mean where they go. you will also needto use platigauge for after you put in the new bearing shells, you will need to torque them and check the oil clearance. the book is really detailed on this.