PDA

View Full Version : Brake Line Help

Blackbird_
01-18-2009, 04:31 PM
So I spent a few hours today trying to replace my master cylinder. Searched through the forums, figured out the procedure, bought the new part, etc. The problem I'm having is that the brake line fitting attached into the master cylinder (the one closest to the front of the car) has managed to get itself rounded off :uh:. I am using a 10mm flare nut wrench. The 12mm on the firewall and the other 10mm fitting I have been able to take off, its just that one stubborn rounded off one. How do I remove it?

bank2me
01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey man I would maybe take a vice grips to it. :beat:

2oodoor
01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey man I would maybe take a vice grips to it. :beat:

Yup
find a fresh new pair, small ones with good teeth cuz once you round it off with vice grips it gets worse.

A18A
01-18-2009, 06:29 PM
i was told to just start with using the vice grips, then you wont round it off. and ever since then i havent rounded any :)

Blackbird_
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
damn, I wish I had just used them at first. I tried a regular combo wrench and they wouldn't budge so I went out and got a flare nut wrench. rounded off fittings are so frustrating :\ any other ways besides vise grips? I just want to have a few different approaches in case one thing or the next doesnt work

Hauntd ca3
01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
i always use vicegrips to crack any brake fitting first and its all good after that

Oldblueaccord
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Once you go vice grips you dont go back :rofl:

I dont know what else you could have done. I have bought some flare wrenchs metric 10mm and 12mm that are IMHO made wrong. They plain just fit too loose and will round off anything.

I would look into replacing the line if you can't get it rethreaded into the MC correctly and safely.

wp

LX-incredible
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
When I come across one that's a real problem, I tighten it a hair, then loosen. Always worked for me.. I wouldn't mess around with anything other than a quality flare nut wrench. Those chinese ones they sell at the parts stores don't always have the correct tolerances... Depending on which line it is, you may have enough to cut and reflare. If you decide to do this, use a quality double flaring tool (not chinese), take your time, and follow the instructions. Replacing the line would probably be your best option though.

Or you could just vicegrip it. :rolleyes:

thegreatdane
01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
A vice-grip WILL work :) It's also perfect for removing a lot of rusted/stuck screws. And lots of other things.

Even with quality flare wrenches you have to be very careful to avoid rounding the flare nuts.

Blackbird_
01-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Vice grips FTW! I got the lines off with a pair of vice grips, and successfully replaced the master cylinder. Thanks guys!

Rendon LX-i
01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Vice Grips saves the day. i also did the same crack em loose then use a wrench. Good thing to hear man.

MessyHonda
01-20-2009, 12:45 AM
i sprayed some pb blaster on them before i took it out

bank2me
01-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Vice grips FTW! I got the lines off with a pair of vice grips, and successfully replaced the master cylinder. Thanks guys!

Fuck ya man cool beans. :gun:

markmdz89hatch
01-21-2009, 06:55 AM
When I come across one that's a real problem, I tighten it a hair, then loosen. Always worked for me.. I wouldn't mess around with anything other than a quality flare nut wrench. Those chinese ones they sell at the parts stores don't always have the correct tolerances... Depending on which line it is, you may have enough to cut and reflare. If you decide to do this, use a quality double flaring tool (not chinese), take your time, and follow the instructions. Replacing the line would probably be your best option though.

Or you could just vicegrip it. :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I was taught too. Believe it or not, I actually learned this from a guy at the j/y (see, they're not ALL hacks). First give it one good quick jerk to tighten it a hair, which will usually crack it free, then back it off. But do all of it with a quality flare-nut wrench. Of course, you'll want to shoot it with PB, and if you get the chance and have the time, shoot it each day for a few days before you try it.

The minute I thrash one with Vise grips (if all else has failed) I replace the line with a new one as soon as I get a chance.

snoopyloopy
01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
congrats, glad to be of service. and its times like those that make me want to work on my car instead of send it to a shop. bc we all know that all the guys at an autoshop are doing the best quality job possible. (not to say any of the 3geezers who are mechs don't do quality work.)

lostforawhile
01-21-2009, 02:33 PM
A vice-grip WILL work :) It's also perfect for removing a lot of rusted/stuck screws. And lots of other things.

Even with quality flare wrenches you have to be very careful to avoid rounding the flare nuts.
yep i have about 35 of them in different sizes. couldn't live without them.