PDA

View Full Version : Electrical drain...Any ideas?

JBona
01-19-2009, 08:06 AM
So, my battery doesnt last more than a day, and i just switched to an almost new battery, and it still died in a day. they keys werent even NEAR my car for that day, so im wondering if the 3g has a common electrical drain. i checked for a drain last week and didnt see anything, but i might have done it wrong or not had a good connection on the test light. either way, is there a common electrical drain in our cars?

Oldblueaccord
01-19-2009, 12:00 PM
A battery draining in a day is a big draw. One I wold look for is your headlight motors. Otheres being amps,starter,altenator,brake lights on etc.

wp

Hauntd ca3
01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
disconnect the batt+ connection and use an ammeter to check the draw.
if its round 4 to 5 amps i'd suggest the altenator has a blown rectifier.
to check this, disconnect the output from the back of the altenator and see if the draw goes away.
if it doesnt, start pulling fuses one by one til you find the culprit

JBona
01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
i think it might be as simple as REALLY dirty connections and terminals. it just seems to me like im not even getting a charge on the battery. i can charge it all day by connecting to the connections, and it still wont start the car. the only way it starts is jumping it, 99% of the time, and thats on both batteries. im gonna clean then up and see if it takes a charge