PDA

View Full Version : Burst hose

jduncan
01-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Just got home a few minutes ago and parked underground and saw a huge amount of smoke coming out form nder the hood, Was like "oh no not again", Looks liek a coolant hose has burst. It looks like a hose the is to the rear/under the distributer. Coolant was all over the engine bay as you can imagine. What would that hose be called so I can pick up a new one and also The distributer was covererd in coolant. What are our recommendations as to starting it back up. Will it casue problems? should i take it a part and let it dry out? should i wait a day or to to let i dry out itself? any suggestions?

Oldblueaccord
01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
It will dry quick in the cold. If its a rubber hose its pretty easy to change out. If its the metal pipe that runs along the back of the motor it is not that easy.

You might have to restart it and see where its leaking from. Be quick and make sure it does not over heat or run out of coolant.

wp

bank2me
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Wipe everything down and recheck it man. Probably a rubber hose in which case doesnt cost very much. Just look over it.

nfs480
01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Sounds to me like it might be that heater hose right below the distributor, mine blew out on me a couple of months ago, was no big deal to fix.

lostforawhile
01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Sounds to me like it might be that heater hose right below the distributor, mine blew out on me a couple of months ago, was no big deal to fix.if it is it's just a straight piece of hose from the pipe under the dizzy to the inlet of the heater core on the firewall. piece of hose and some clamps will fix it. when you get time, start replacing every old hose one at a time or all at once, it's good insurance and cheap.

DBMaster
01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Mine did the same thing. The distributor o-ring was leaking for a long time and the oil on the hose eventually deteriorated it to the point of leaking. When it blew steam a few years ago I simply cut off about 1/2" on the end of the hose and reconnected it - fixing the leaky distributor o-ring, of course. I recently replaced the hose. It is a custom hose with several bends in it so I would recommend Gates or Honda. I am not sure if you can use a straight piece of standard heater hose.

Dr_Snooz
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
"oh no not again"

"Again"?? Time to get in there and change all those hoses man. It's got to be done or it will do it again and again and again until you've got them all.

lostforawhile
01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Mine did the same thing. The distributor o-ring was leaking for a long time and the oil on the hose eventually deteriorated it to the point of leaking. When it blew steam a few years ago I simply cut off about 1/2" on the end of the hose and reconnected it - fixing the leaky distributor o-ring, of course. I recently replaced the hose. It is a custom hose with several bends in it so I would recommend Gates or Honda. I am not sure if you can use a straight piece of standard heater hose.
wierd mine is just a straight hose to the inlet side of the heater control valve,then a bent piece out from the valve to the heater inlet, then the other side of the heater core goes to the water pipe. there is a bypass hose from the side of the thermostat housing that goes into the intake manifold then it comes back out the other side and goes to the water pipe also. talking about carb here, there is also another hose from the back of the carb base that returns to the water pipe,coolant flows through the base of the carb. that hose from the carb base goes through a small valve on the bottom of the intake manifold too. thats a common leak point.