PDA

View Full Version : 3g idling in high RPM ?????

rfiks
01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
OK- i own a 3g carbed accord hb w/ manual transmission.
when i start it it idles fine at 1000rpm a little high. but after it warms up the rpms sky rocket. i can tap the gas pedal and sometimes they'll drop (rpm), but as soon as i apply slighted pressure they go back up!
i know need a new alternator, head gasket and timing belt.
but im completely stumped!:uh:
i tried cleaning alll throttle linkages and and throttle cable w/ carb cleaner-nothing changed.
Please help!

rfiks
02-13-2009, 09:12 PM
ok.. i replaced the pvc valve and replaced the small fuel filter and seafoamed her-same results.
but i cant find the big fuel filter to replace it.
the choke valve stays open and when i close it with my finger the carb sounds like its filling with fuel-(fuel adjustment problems???)

LxAcc510
02-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Guessing you got an LX. Check page 90 of the owner manual for the location of the other fuel filter.

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2009, 07:56 AM
If no one else is going to weigh in then I will. My opinion on carbs is that they will go bad in some creative way at some point and need to be completely overhauled. Some of our carb guys might be able to diagnose the exact problem in the carb, but my vote is always for a complete rebuild when it starts to act up.

rfiks
02-14-2009, 03:11 PM
i found the other fuel filter it was under the rear drivers side tire. (lol) i had fun removing replacing it (gas eeeveree where).

thanks guys!!!

rfiks
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
mmm... monster...
oh hey trying to adjust my carb.(no luck)
and i got a CHILTON book and found where my fast ilde control screw is located i adjusted it but the arm which to screw pushes open to push ??? open stayed away from the screw this adjustment was made per the instructions in the manual(when at oper. temp.)

??????? lil help please!!!

1ajs
02-16-2009, 03:25 PM
its not the carb! its not the fuel filters its your throttle cable sticking

if the fuel filters work cloged it would not idle high it would be sugish and constantly dieing

rfiks
02-16-2009, 03:36 PM
what can i do to fixit????

POS carb
02-24-2009, 12:07 PM
you need to check #1 that your throttle is closing all the way and #2 that the idle boost dashpot by the throttle linkage is working properly. It should have good vacuum at idle and it should raise the RPMs when disconnected and plugged (DX, LX only, vacuum hose #6 according to my shop manual). There should be vacuum present at the hose at idle.
To check if the throttle is closing all the way just look down the throat of the carb. To check the idle boost dashpot apply vacuum to it and you should see it move. If it leaks the vacuum replace the dashpot
The screws SHOULD NOT need adjustment as you are only masing the problem

POS carb
02-25-2009, 06:29 AM
use this:
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual/fuel_and_emission_controls_carb.zip
remember, this is an overseas manual so it is a little different from North American cars
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

87acc
06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Once you start to drive do the rpms go down? cause mine does that to and what i was told it that its the auto choke kicking in because it thinks the cars still cold. after a couple of minutes of driving my rpms drop back to normal. i havent been able to fix it in my hatchy either.

86accord88
07-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I just started having a very similiar prob. I have an 86 DX. It seems like the choke is sticking open. I tinkered a bit today and when I close the choke it will idle down but runs really ruff like a timing prob. She ran great until the other day. Don't know if its related but the voltage light came on the same day it started giving me a prob.