PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise from rear of engine compartment.

mephi
01-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I just got my DX running again today, everything runs ok, idle is great once it warms up, but I still have to adjust the timing.

Anyway, there is this weird rotational dragging sound from the rear of the engine compartment, sort of like an alternator bearing going out. I might have just answered my question, since the alternator didn't seem to fit in quite right.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and figured out what it is?

OldSkoolA20accord
01-19-2009, 10:43 PM
i think you did too. thats the only thing rotating in the back of the engine at idle.

mephi
01-19-2009, 11:29 PM
I think the previous owner might have screwed something up back there. Anything about the install of the alternator that is easy to screw up? I heard something about a washer, but there wasn't one when I took the thing off before I pulled the engine.

Hauntd ca3
01-19-2009, 11:50 PM
take the belt off, run the motor for aslong as it take s to find out if its the alt bearings.
you wont over heat the motor or anything aslong as you dont leave it running for to long
or just take the belt off and spin it by hand and see if the bearings are noisy

mephi
01-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Anyone have a good way of getting the alternator out without pulling the drive shaft?

2ndGenGuy
01-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Is the belt rubbing on the timing cover? Sometimes they do that and you just have to wait for them to wear until they aren't touching anymore.

Before you pull it, did you try spinning it like above suggested? Might be able to figure out if it's rough or noisy or something that way.

mephi
01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, it's not the alternator. I removed the belt and spun it by hand and it had no problems. Ran the engine for about 30 seconds without the belt and the noise is still there. Any thing else that could make a noise like that? Maybe something in the exhaust? I don't think I would be able to hear an oil pump going out, and it doesn't really sound like it's coming from there. Transmission bearings sound different.

Agh...

OldSkoolA20accord
01-20-2009, 01:57 PM
is it a 5 speed? if so it could be the throw out bearing.

maybe your muffler bearings are going out! :beat:

OldSkoolA20accord
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
get a video of the noise and where its comint from. it would help out alot.....

lostforawhile
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
is it a 5 speed? if so it could be the throw out bearing.

maybe your muffler bearings are going out! :beat:
timing belt tensioner? get a piece of rubber tube, stick one end in your ear,now move it around until you hear the noise.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
damn i didnt even think of that. money sayd that is what it is. even tho its on the side of the engine not the back. the hose thing is a good idea.

russiankid
01-20-2009, 04:37 PM
He is one sound a bad tensioner can make.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/?action=view&current=S6301315.flv

mephi
01-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Just replaced the tensioner. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get an expert opinion. A free expert opinion. I'm starting to think (hope) that there may just be something wrong with the exhaust...like muffler bearings... ;)

2oodoor
01-21-2009, 04:31 AM
just got it running? what did you do to it?

mephi
01-21-2009, 09:35 AM
I pulled the motor, replaced the oil pan, valve stem seals, timing belt and tensioner, front and rear main seals, rebuilt the distributor(sorta), resurfaced the flywheel, replaced clutch cover (previous owner just replaced the clutch, and neglected to do these things), replaced the water pump, flushed the cooling system, removed all of the vacuum lines, and cleaned up the block a bit. Engine removal may not have been necessary, but it made the whole process easier.

Then I put it back in and started it back up. If it hadn't snowed up here 3 weeks ago, I would have been done by now. Today I set timing, put newer tires on it, and fix a headlight wiring problem. Then I have to swap out fenders and bumpers with another car.

mephi
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
The noise was coming from the transmission. I noticed that whenever I stepped on the clutch it went away. The funny thing though, is that after I drove it for 5 miles it went away. I'm going to see if it happens again tomorrow, the next time I drive it. I have to fix a headlight wiring problem before I do that though. Wires got pinched between the rotating part and the body.

russiankid
01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
The noise was coming from the transmission. I noticed that whenever I stepped on the clutch it went away. The funny thing though, is that after I drove it for 5 miles it went away. I'm going to see if it happens again tomorrow, the next time I drive it. I have to fix a headlight wiring problem before I do that though. Wires got pinched between the rotating part and the body.

Throwout bearing.

cubert
01-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I was under the impression if the TO bearing was bad, it would make noise when the pedal is depressed, and the input shaft bearing is bad if it makes noise when the pedal is up...

OldSkoolA20accord
01-21-2009, 03:42 PM
My friend had an eclipse. It would make a weird ass noise only until the car was warmed up. same with my friends civic. The throw out bearings were bad on both.

It always made the sound, at idle and while driving only went away when it was running for like 2 hours.

russiankid
01-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I was under the impression if the TO bearing was bad, it would make noise when the pedal is depressed, and the input shaft bearing is bad if it makes noise when the pedal is up...

That is true. There is a possibility that the clutch is adjusted so that the throw out bearing constantly spins, but once you depress the pedal it puts pressure on the bearing and it stops groaning.

mephi
01-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Forgot to mention that I replaced the throwout bearing. I adjusted the cable to have about 2-3mm of play as per the manual I think I might go ahead and loosen it up just a tad bit.

I'm going to school right now for automotive repair, and I talked to one of my instructors who used to be a tech at honda. My transmission had 90 weight in it when I pulled it, and he said that can cause serious problems for 5th gear. It doesn't flow as well as it needs to and doesn't lubricate the bearings out there very well. Since it stopped after I drove it for a little while, I think that may have been the problem--used new motor oil in it, again, as per the manual. I'm going to test it again in the morning after I fix the headlight wiring and see how everything is.

russiankid
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I thought you can only hear 5th gear when driving if its going out?

mephi
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
could have been the main shaft bearings too. They'll spin with the clutch until you engage it.

codyJDM
01-22-2009, 06:47 AM
I thought you can only hear 5th gear when driving if its going out?

My 5th gear has been making noise for months now and hasn't killed itself? :huh:

MessyHonda
01-22-2009, 07:42 AM
My 5th gear has been making noise for months now and hasn't killed itself? :huh:

i would not do that tooo much....mine started making noise and the day i deside to go to a long distance meet my trans got stuck in 5th gear going uphill....killed the clutch....not fun at all....then i changed out the oil with honda mtf and it helped a bit till i had enough money for my rebuilt trans and new clutch

Elver
01-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Sorry for the thread jack but my car does the same thing too. Also my car starts without pressing the clutch in. Could the problems be related?

codyJDM
01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
i would not do that tooo much....mine started making noise and the day i deside to go to a long distance meet my trans got stuck in 5th gear going uphill....killed the clutch....not fun at all....then i changed out the oil with honda mtf and it helped a bit till i had enough money for my rebuilt trans and new clutch

Ouch. I rarely ever use 5th, only on the freeway really. I am gonna flush it out, run honda mtf, and throw some additive in there.

codyJDM
01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Sorry for the thread jack but my car does the same thing too. Also my car starts without pressing the clutch in. Could the problems be related?

The 86-87's all do. They don't have the little sensor on the clutch.

MessyHonda
01-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Ouch. I rarely ever use 5th, only on the freeway really. I am gonna flush it out, run honda mtf, and throw some additive in there.

thats the best thing you can do...for now....or just wait for the mounts so you can swap in a b in that sexy hatch