PDA

View Full Version : re:burst hose thread

jduncan
01-20-2009, 09:08 AM
What is the best way to temp patch the hose? I need to get to my uncles garage which is aporx 20 min away , all regualr road driving. I was thinking some sort of patch material along side some zip ties should do the trick but not sure what kinda a material or assortment of materials i should use to get it pacthed. was thinking duct tape for the mean time too if i can find any, havnt been abe to fnd anyin my house so far, any ideas?

bank2me
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Duncan have you looked to see which one is leaking man? I mean you must know if you are gonna patch it. I know it's prolly fucking cold there too but just bundle up and take a look man and get back to us.

Oldblueaccord
01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Duct tape on a dry rubber hose does very well. Loosen the radaitor cap so no pressure builds but it keeps the fluid in.

wp

bank2me
01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Just drive it the way it is BURN IT UP BUDDY j/k. What did you end up doin duncan?

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Kragen has some good temporary hose patches.

Pico
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
which hose?
Duct tape does work wonders as long as it's not a oil soaked hose

DBMaster
01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
I started keeping a small roll of genuine 3M duct tape in the glovebox for such an event. The sad fact is that there are many locations on hoses on our cars that would be pretty much impossible to access for such a roadside repair. Even if the leak were accessible to repair this way if it's greasy or wet forget it. I paid the bucks to Majestic Honda and now have all the small hoses sitting on my workbench. I just have to get up the gumption to replace them. I already replaced the radiator hoses and the three largest heater hoses. That would be the absolute best insurance against the need for the duct tape! :)

evil88accordLX
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
ive seen people use a rag over the puncture held in place with a leather belt. and i mean the kind of belt you use to hold your pants up. just make a new hole and attach. its enough to get you the 20 miles anyhow.

jduncan
01-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, the hose that burst was the one right behind and slight below the distributor, also the one underneath tha had an exsistiong leak. what i did to temporaily patch it was used 2 different kinds of electrical tape, then as well used to zipties to hold it all in place. It actually held up for the 15-20 min drive. now al is fixed and up and running, thanks guys

Dr_Snooz
01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice work man. Glad it's all ship-shape now.

w261w261
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I started keeping a small roll of genuine 3M duct tape in the glovebox for such an event. The sad fact is that there are many locations on hoses on our cars that would be pretty much impossible to access for such a roadside repair. Even if the leak were accessible to repair this way if it's greasy or wet forget it. I paid the bucks to Majestic Honda and now have all the small hoses sitting on my workbench. I just have to get up the gumption to replace them. I already replaced the radiator hoses and the three largest heater hoses. That would be the absolute best insurance against the need for the duct tape! :)

It's not such a big deal to replace all those little hoses......except the one that exits from the IACV and disappears under the manifold - I had a mechanic do it, and he said he cussed a lot. Better him than me. GL.