PDA

View Full Version : sticky throttle cable?

jduncan
01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey guys, what has been happeneing as of late is while im driving I find the revs remain high. Its a 5 spd, efi. Whatusually happens is that it seems like it gets stcuk aroud the 2k rpm range. To solve it what i usually do is push in the clutch, rev up the engine, and it seems to unstick the cable. Has this happened to anyone else? if so , any quick fixes? maybe a bit of lube or something on the cable? not too sure

bank2me
01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I would maybe try some wd40 on the cable and check your coolant level.

jduncan
01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
coolant level would have an effect on it?

Hauntd ca3
01-23-2009, 11:55 AM
yeah it could do.
if theres still a bit of air in the cooling system and it finds its way to the coolant sensor the sensor would not be getting a proper idae of temp as they rely on being covered in coolant to work and the blip on the throttle would be enuff to move it.
bleed the system just to be sure and replace any coolant lost
i'd also disconnect the cable from the tb and make sure both the cable and pedal move freely, also gives you a chance to lube the cable

russiankid
01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Use a silicon lubricant. You do not want to attract dirt to the cable or you'll be replacing it because you will never be able to clean out. WD-40 displaces water, it does not lubricate. It will lubricate temporarily, but not for long.

AccordB20A
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
throttle cable might be too tight. thats my opinion.

AZmike
01-23-2009, 05:18 PM
When I had this problem I found that the throttle cable housing had broken near the firewall on the engine side. The kink in the housing added enough drag on the cable to hold the engine at 2k rpm occasionally.

A18A
01-23-2009, 06:56 PM
throttle cable might be too tight. thats my opinion.

times two. when it does that, put your foot under the pedal & pull it out, see if the revs drop. i has that same problem with my vehicle