PDA

View Full Version : UCA changed

AC439
01-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Just want to say thanks to this forum that I have successfully changed my L and R side UCA/ball joints.

It all started after I put a set of new tires last year and after several wheel balancing the steering wheel still shake. It was getting worse in the past two months and the whole front end felt like it was about to fall apart at 70 mph.

After reading some threads and checking the suspension, I found the upper ball joints were bad. So I ordered a pair from Ebay.

I read the instructions here on how to change them a few times and went ahead and got them changed. I kept the original bushings. They seem to be fine.

Now the steering wheel doesn't shake anymore and the car appears to be more stable (less side to side sway). The new UCAs are quiet and I don't have any noise issue with the new UCAs when it is cold.

(I changed the rear UCAs and the rear end resumes the stability after that. This time the front end resumes stability after the UCA changes)

- AC

markmdz89hatch
01-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Great to hear it, and great to know that this board helped you locate and repair the source of your troubles. Also good to know you're now safe again, as a bad uca (front or rear) could be deadly.

We had a member a few years back pop his rear drives side uca while on the highway, and he lost control of the car, it kissed the jersey barrier, and totaled out the car. (Everyone walked away without injury though.)

DBMaster
01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Kudos on keeping your original bushings. If they are in good shape don't replace them. I have a whole thread on my trials and tribulations with cheap aftermarket bushings.