PDA

View Full Version : oil light

3rd Party
01-28-2009, 03:40 AM
i was curious how notorious these third generation accords were for flashing the oil light in situations where you're braking hard, or turning sharply. i just picked it up tonight and it was dark and cold, so i didn't bother to check the oil right away, but i'll be checking the level in the morning. but on the assumption the oil level's fine, is it safe to assume the sensor's gone mad? or should i just say fuck it, and replace the pump?

A18A
01-28-2009, 04:10 AM
i'd think it would be low on oil, and the oil pump not picking any up under hard braking, hard cornering etc.. and that would of caused the low pressure or whatever the light in the gauges gets its reading from

3rd Party
01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
i'm almost 90% sure that's what it is now that i think about it. it does have that scent of oil burning off on the exhaust or some heated part of the motor. so i'm almost guaranteed to start doing some work on the motor sooner than i thought. but that's what owning a car's all about, right? haha :thumbup:

AccordEpicenter
01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
yeah, i think you have an oil pressure problem

w261w261
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
On any old car, being vigilant about your fluids is mandatory. If you smell oil, it means it must be leaking somewhere, therefore you're losing some. Waiting for the oil light to tell you you're low is not the way to keep a good relationship with your car. Ditto for the coolant level.

3rd Party
01-29-2009, 12:26 AM
well i JUST bought the car, so it's not like i've been driving it for a month with the oil light flashing. this is all something that's taken course over the span of a day, but i've noticed a lot of build up around the head gasket area...so i'll be purchasing a head gasket soon. :flash: