PDA

View Full Version : Are we cheap?

-DWM-
01-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Coming from the watercooled VW scene, where people regularly take near rusted out 80's economy cars and turn them into chromed-out, shiny, show-winning gems, I've noticed a trend here whilst lurking... Many 3G enthusiasts seem, dare I say, scared of spending too much money on their cars because of their percieved low monetary value. Where's the shaved engine bays? BBS wheels with polished lips? Engine swaps? Custom interiors? Collections of rare OEM parts?
These are nice cars. They were pretty expensive when they were new back in the day. They're solidly built. They have gorgeous 80's styling (I say that like it's a good thing and it is).
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7663/plattling290zg2.jpg

Plus
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/775000-775999/775231_73_full.jpg

Equals
???????????????????????

Or maybe I'm just crazy. :)

That's "halxi"s car by the way.

labeledsk8r
01-30-2009, 10:16 PM
some people are cheep yes... alot of people on here just dont have the money to spend, im sure everyone here would love to dump loads of money in but they can only do so much on a budget.. there are guys on here with super rare parts and lots of money in there cars, and some that do what they can.. takes all types and since these are old hondas most owners are 16-25 age grouped wich means the min wage checks cant pay for to extreme of work

ghettogeddy
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
well most of us are just broke lol trust me theres a lot of shit id like to have
but there are dif groups on here some tune some tuner lol some ricers lol but for the most part people here just want to keep there cars running lol

3gmodifier
01-30-2009, 10:24 PM
look around a little bit. u will se my coupe with 90% of available jdm parts, including the engine. a fully shave engine bay. i am not the only one by far.

Dr_Snooz
01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm too poor right now. If I can swing it some day, I plan a frame-up restore. The problem is that I want to DRIVE the car. It's a gas. If I spend all day making it show car perfect, I won't be able to drive it.

2ndGenGuy
01-30-2009, 11:27 PM
The watercooled VWs just have more of a following. Old Hondas just really aren't that popular. Believe me, if the old Hondas were as popular as the old VWs there would be just as many that are tricked out. I'd say percentage-wise among the amount of people who own them, who are enthusiasts, there are just as many tricked out ones.

I think, as people get more money, many turn their noses up at the old Hondas. They were the cheap, reliable cars that got them around when they were broke, and they don't want that image anymore. They were many people's first cars, and they just move on.

But try to find a clean Rabbit in good condition that runs flawlessly for under $1000. ;)

frantik
01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
most people who are into spending lots of money on modding their car move on from 3geez since there is so little aftermarket.

whats the point of getting a fancy paint job and whatnot when you can't even get a proper suspension or header without searching ebay, CL and junkyards, and having a ton of luck too

but, not all of us think that way ;)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/moneyg2007/3geez/100_1581.jpg

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66388

AccordB20A
01-30-2009, 11:59 PM
i love being different. i dont want a car everyone else has that i see a million riced out ones while driving in town. I love the fact you cant buy anything for these cars, its called custom :)

OEM restoration is what its all about here...

84Accord
01-31-2009, 12:14 AM
most people who are into spending lots of money on modding their car move on from 3geez since there is so little aftermarket.

whats the point of getting a fancy paint job and whatnot when you can't even get a proper suspension or header without searching ebay, CL and junkyards, and having a ton of luck too

but, not all of us think that way ;)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/moneyg2007/3geez/100_1581.jpg

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66388

lol yea. ive done a lot to my 2g but then again most of it is done by me and a lot of custom fabrication which also saves money. a lot of people, like skater says, are on min wage jobs. like me working in real estate is super slow. so i do what i can when i can.

2oodoor
01-31-2009, 04:56 AM
I see your point -DWM-
oh and your rabbit playing golf is the same color as my tricked out bug that I totaled out.
I agree and disagree with you at the same time...
In my instance, I have been thru dozens of cars that I keep a year or two years and get rid of. My first Accord was destined to be the same way, a throw away car I would fix just enought to drive to work and run errands. Well it turned into a cult for me, I have put more into this car than I have any in a long time. I still count on it's built in reliabilty as I make changes to it.
Timing and the ages is a big factor. There are just way too many cars around now days. Like everyone else here ^^ said too, the social status in some groups just influences the desire. You will find here still a lot of young folks that have old school dedication & values and skill sets they apply to their 3 geez which is exactly what you are talkikng about. Not meaning to leave anybody out but to name a few 87roach, mushroom toy, turabaka,84accord, 86accord, lostforawhile, RamThis, carotman, bitesize, 3gmodifier, wow I know I am leaving out dozens of guys and girls but just to name a few examples you should look at......

2oodoor
01-31-2009, 05:02 AM
Also keep in mind this forum and it's active members are only just a cross section of the entheusists for these cars. Everything is not on the web :huh::)

-DWM-
01-31-2009, 09:35 AM
This is good discussion. :)

I agree with most all of you, I really just wanted to see what everyone thought.

As for myself, I'd like to turn mine into something like the rabbit i posted above, only Garnet Red. But, money is tight and I gotta do it little by little over time, and do the work myself.

cubert
01-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Dont get me wrong..I have love for the 3g and how they look etc...

But I have always thought the MKI and MKII dubs look 100x better as far as the body lines go...

Someone wanna swap a B18C5 into a rabbit for me? :D

russiankid
01-31-2009, 09:59 AM
The way I see it is that when you think of a dumped car with mesh wheels, you think of a VW. When you see angel eyes on a car, you think its a BMW or a copy of a BMW. When you hear a loud fart can, you instantly think of a Honda. So having a dumped Accord on mesh wheels is just trying to be VW like. We try to keep our Honda's for what they were meant to be(econo box), and at the same do small upgrades to make them our own. I personally love my Accord. Its slow, its reliable, and not many people on this forum know whats done to it. Most of the "upgrades" on it are not seen, which to me is most appealing because I love sleepers.

86ccord
01-31-2009, 11:45 AM
The way I see it is that when you think of a dumped car with mesh wheels, you think of a VW. When you see angel eyes on a car, you think its a BMW or a copy of a BMW. When you hear a loud fart can, you instantly think of a Honda. So having a dumped Accord on mesh wheels is just trying to be VW like. We try to keep our Honda's for what they were meant to be(econo box), and at the same do small upgrades to make them our own. I personally love my Accord. Its slow, its reliable, and not many people on this forum know whats done to it. Most of the "upgrades" on it are not seen, which to me is most appealing because I love sleepers.

yours is def. a sleeper

2drSE-i
01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
I think the main issue is demographics. Most of the guys on here are 16-25. The older guys have better cars, for the most part. The younger guys (myself included) have relatively stock cars, with mild mods. Most of the older VW guys are, well older, have more money and time to work on their cars.

2oodoor
01-31-2009, 12:49 PM
oh ok lets get this streight..
Pico, back me up on this please... in the US
ALL foreign car and mesh wheels, brilliant paint jobs, Hella headlighting and such came from the California Bug crowd, the Cali look is where it all starts, from there it was Datsuns of all kinds and on to opel gt's and Manta's, BMW 2002's, OK I am only refering to the standard end cars being customized and not born sports cars.
Water cooled VW were not all that cool until they came out with the quick Rabbit and my favorite if I had to have one is the 1st and 2nd Gen Sciroccos. cant ever spell that right.

add to that the dropped look came from the 50's USDM car customizers back then (frame channeling, and lowered/flipped axles etc) , but the California Bugs utilized the adjustable front ends available some years and swappied into other years... ok then the Latino MexiCali style was the for real dumped originators using hydraulics and heating up coil springs for faux hydraulics look.

snoopyloopy
01-31-2009, 01:03 PM
yeah, people know vws can sometimes be reasonably quick, so they wouldn't fuss as much to receive one as a 3g. most ppl who receive a 3g remember their grandma's lx that they would sometimes get picked up from school in. nice car, but just not "cool" enough for most ppl. and especially nowadays, finding a clean one is getting kinda hard. i see 3g on the road all the time, but most have front-end damage so their lights don't go down or someone hit a rear quarter panel and there's a big fucking dent or something of that nature. or they need engine work. so even with my horrible paint, mine is still one of the few clean and decently running 3g accords i see driving around. and most of the time, the drivers of the others are people of the lower working class who look to be about in their late 20s to early 40s. definitely not the group of people who really have the money to fix it up good. and considering the high market value of these cars, they acquired it pretty cheaply and so when it quits in a year, it's not a substantial loss.

Pico
01-31-2009, 01:26 PM
oh ok lets get this streight..
Pico, back me up on this please... in the US
ALL foreign car and mesh wheels, brilliant paint jobs, Hella headlighting and such came from the California Bug crowd, the Cali look is where it all starts, from there it was Datsuns of all kinds and on to opel gt's and Manta's, BMW 2002's, OK I am only refering to the standard end cars being customized and not born sports cars.
Water cooled VW were not all that cool until they came out with the quick Rabbit and my favorite if I had to have one is the 1st and 2nd Gen Sciroccos. cant ever spell that right.

add to that the dropped look came from the 50's USDM car customizers back then (frame channeling, and lowered/flipped axles etc) , but the California Bugs utilized the adjustable front ends available some years and swappied into other years... ok then the Latino MexiCali style was the for real dumped originators using hydraulics and heating up coil springs for faux hydraulics look.

I see where you coming from on this roodoo, the cal bug look was one different, we removed the chrome trim around the front windshield and rear window, took out the vent window on the doors and went with one piece glass in its place.
I've been lucky ( if you can call it that) to of owned a variety of fixed up cars from lowriderhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/ScannedImage-4.jpg
minitruck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/ScannedImage-5.jpg
Air Cooled bug
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/ScannedImage-3.jpg
watercooled VW
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/ScannedImage-6.jpg
and now the 3G.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/Nov%2011%202008/BeniciaShoot11-11-086.jpg
Nothing compares to the accord IMO the challenges to modify parts to fit is a rewarding challenge to me. Everything else I've owned that has been customized has been off the store shelves. So it's not a matter of cheap, it's wether or not we want to dump $$$ into a car that has no resale value in the end. Only us diehards will keep our 3G's to the end.

russiankid
01-31-2009, 01:29 PM
yours is def. a sleeper

Was that sarcastic?:dunno:

Its stock power wise.

86ccord
01-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Was that sarcastic?:dunno:

Its stock power wise.

uhh.. i wasnt meaning it in a sarcastic way.. it just seems like you have had your car all apart and put back together with new parts and it just doesnt look like you have worked on it at all..eh nvm.. you have a very nice 3g..LOL

russiankid
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
uhh.. i wasnt meaning it in a sarcastic way.. it just seems like you have had your car all apart and put back together with new parts and it just doesnt look like you have worked on it at all..eh nvm.. you have a very nice 3g..LOL

Oh I get what you're saying.:cool: Don't worry, once I get some money my car no longer has to pass emissions, so I have some plans for it.

2oodoor
01-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Ok I have to dig up pics of my bug, I have not seen them in a long time and have no idea where they are. Here is one of my 72 Capri with glassed in fender flares and semi body kit, dual exhaust, V6. I bought the car a totaled in the front and basket case wiring job. It took me three years to get it all back together and I wound up selling it. Sorry No digitals, just photos of photos.
Odd thing here is this car is parked in the same spot as my Accord is in the sig, but years n years ago.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1208559828.jpg

there was a pasture where there now is forrest

Hauntd ca3
01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
didnt realise that you guys got that model capri in the states.
was it the 3 liter v6 ?
and was it manual.
was under the impression that that model capri was an english or german assembled model.

cubert
01-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Pico...you sir have had some badass vehicles....

2oodoor
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
didnt realise that you guys got that model capri in the states.
was it the 3 liter v6 ?
and was it manual.
was under the impression that that model capri was an english or german assembled model.

yes that was German made, whew had British wiring though (a wire for every ground and nothing went to chasiss ground)
That one was 2.8 V6 solid lifters, weber 38, close ratio four speed.. that thing was such a blast to drive too. I put the cobra hood scoop, mixed up my own color for paint, graphics, Remounted 1969 Mustang buckets in it so they were about 10 inches back from stock mounting.

Pico
01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Pico...you sir have had some badass vehicles....

Thanks cubert.
They we're lots of fun to build

Hauntd ca3
01-31-2009, 03:18 PM
yes that was German made, whew had British wiring though (a wire for every ground and nothing went to chasiss ground)
That one was 2.8 V6 solid lifters, weber 38, close ratio four speed.. that thing was such a blast to drive too. I put the cobra hood scoop, mixed up my own color for paint, graphics, Remounted 1969 Mustang buckets in it so they were about 10 inches back from stock mounting.

british wiring, so it stopped every time it rained then eh. lol
2.8 was a good motor tho the 3 liter wit d shaped inlets were the ones to have.
still a cool old car eh

lostforawhile
01-31-2009, 04:26 PM
here;'s one of my projects http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67507 only insane people would tear a car apart that has no resale value and sink more money into it then a new accord. there are a lot of nuts on here. :rofl:

Pico
01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
here;'s one of my projects http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67507 only insane people would tear a car apart that has no resale value and sink more money into it then a new accord. there are a lot of nuts on here. :rofl:

you're not insane Tim , just highly motivated and creative

lostforawhile
01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
you're not insane Tim , just highly motivated and creativeall car people have some degree of insanity, it's what allows us to be creative without trying to think inside of the box

2oodoor
01-31-2009, 05:35 PM
just a squirrel in the world tryin to get a nut:cool:

A18A
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
yours is def. asleep

fixed :D lol jk russian kid

2ndGenGuy
01-31-2009, 09:20 PM
The thing with Hondas is, they're already such great looking cars, they just need a little bit of a drop and a nice, modest set of wheels. Nothing flashy, or anything too derived from stock. I think Honda really knew what they were doing when they designed them.

Hauntd ca3
01-31-2009, 09:46 PM
not trying to knock the 2g 2ndgenguy, but you are right bout hondas being good looking cars to start with
the 3g is still a good lookin car 20 years after production stopped
just quite wee mods and they look sweet.

MessyHonda
02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
when i spend money on my car most people ask me why i do it....i just tell them...its the only thing that has not let me down....sure its had problems but they were fixed with upgraded parts. mine is a daily driver....i put like 10k miles a year and i have 2 jobs...working 60-70 hr weeks

'A20A3'
02-04-2009, 09:01 AM
here's mine...

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7058/newrimsvz5.jpg

Koni's all around, Progress springs, 15" Enkei RP-01's wrapped with Falken Azeni's, full exhaust, blah blah blah.. too many engine mods to list...mostly all custom...

'A20A3'
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
inside...

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4083/insideshotdf3.jpg

Tdurr
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
^^ we have the same radio!!
lol
but i need to get a steering wheel.. and u need to make a thread on ur car... NOW! haha

Tdurr
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
gay....

'A20A3'
02-04-2009, 02:37 PM
ima start a thread right now

and yeah ive had that stereo for like 6 years ahahaha

'A20A3'
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
k my car thread is up in the accord pics section. sorry for the thread jack.

86ccord
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
when i spend money on my car most people ask me why i do it....i just tell them...its the only thing that has not let me down....sure its had problems but they were fixed with upgraded parts. mine is a daily driver....i put like 10k miles a year and i have 2 jobs...working 60-70 hr weeks

hell yeah. i get the same stuff.. i just love to have a car that you dont normally see out on the road.. even more look good out on the road.. and ppl is like what is that?..ha.. reminds me of that time at school.. they did a car check.. i have shaved emblems.. and they announced over the intercom, whoever drives the blue 4-door car in parking spot 860 come to the office.. haha had to smile.

sorry for thread hackin'..and jive.

russiankid
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
hell yeah. i get the same stuff.. i just love to have a car that you dont normally see out on the road.. even more look good out on the road.. and ppl is like what is that?..ha.. reminds me of that time at school.. they did a car check.. i have shaved emblems.. and they announced over the intercom, whoever drives the blue 4-door car in parking spot 860 come to the office.. haha had to smile.

sorry for thread hackin'..and jive.

What if they said " Would the owner of a 1986 Honda Accord LX repainted blue please report to the office."

:lol:

86ccord
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
What if they said " Would the owner of a 1986 Honda Accord LX repainted blue please report to the office."

:lol:

hah, :uh::uh::uh: owned. HA

paul
02-08-2009, 01:50 PM
If my car wasn't a 37k mile/year daily driver, I'd love to do a full suspension rebuild & make it competitive for autocross, nothing's as much fun as a "underdog" car when competing...

MessyHonda
02-08-2009, 02:29 PM
If my car wasn't a 37k mile/year daily driver, I'd love to do a full suspension rebuild & make it competitive for autocross, nothing's as much fun as a "underdog" car when competing...

why not...i daily drive my car and it has a full suspension...nothing better than to scare the shit out of people in the twisties

Tomisimo
02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I must agree with you guys. The thing with all those VW, Audis, Mergs and BMW is that they are nice yes, but they lock charm.
Anyhow, our Hondas is getting rarer and rarer, there is not many that is around, most of them is being just driven to the last drop, and junked.
But in my eyes I see my car as my baby, and I'm never and I mean never going to junk it! Even if I get all money in the world it still be in my possession. The thing I love about 3Gee is that it makes you think, how, where and so on, we literally make custom cars here, there are unique cars here and that alone makes you want to keep it..
Lots of us here want to do more to our cars, but there is just not enough resources in the pocket to go wild so custom it goes, the most greatest cars were made in the shed!! So is ours ;)

paul
02-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I do a fair amount of pot-hole strewn NYC driving, no use beating up a quality suspension setup (been there, done that), not to mention my back. Besides, I have the other car to surprise people in the twisties!...

cubert
02-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I do a fair amount of pot-hole strewn NYC driving, no use beating up a quality suspension setup (been there, done that), not to mention my back. Besides, I have the other car to surprise people in the twisties!...

Yea..I had H&R race springs on my GTI...and as much fun as it was in the corners...it sucked for DD...even minor road deformities jolted the car pretty bad...

Blackbird_
02-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't mind dropping dime on a 20 year old car that I know will be reliable and last me a long time with care. Plus you don't see the streets flooded with 3geez. I have to take my tinkering a step at a time though because I'm a full time student (17 hours, no job) I think when all is said and done my car would end up similar to a stock look (I like the OEM look with a splash of owner's touches - like that guy who had the tweeters cleanly integrated into his doors)