PDA

View Full Version : Custom intake manifold gasket FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr_Snooz
01-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Check it out!!! This is what happens when you pay other people to work on your car. The car has been running so terribly lately and I haven't been able to figure it out. The idle is worse than a tractor. The plugs coat over with ash in about 200 miles. MPG is now down to 26.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/Gasket.jpg

When I did the swap a year ago, the car wouldn't get any oil pressure for the first 5-20 seconds after startup. I dragged the car to a shop to have them diagnose it. They didn't diagnose it, but they did to this. I would change it, but it's so much work and I'll still have the whole oil pressure issue at startup. I think I'll just move my engine rebuild forward.

Does anybody have the lowdown on an a20a3 in good condition for a rebuild? I want something that won't need to be bored. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking at the yard, but it's slow going.

A18A
01-31-2009, 08:32 PM
you could just make another one out of cardboard or use silicone for now to see if that helps? it's not too much work, all you really gotta do is unbolt it from the head, move it away enough so you can pull the gasket off & put one on

labeledsk8r
01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
you could just make another one out of cardboard or use silicone for now to see if that helps? it's not too much work, all you really gotta do is unbolt it from the head, move it away enough so you can pull the gasket off & put one on

agreed, Just get someone to help you so they can hold the many while you slip on a new one.. rushing on a rebuild becuse of a intake many just doesnt seem right

Dr_Snooz
01-31-2009, 09:06 PM
agreed, Just get someone to help you so they can hold the many while you slip on a new one.. rushing on a rebuild becuse of a intake many just doesnt seem right

Those nuts are hard enough to get to with the engine out of the car. Anyway, it's not the only problem. I have an oil pressure situation. I see it more as a good excuse to move forward what I'm already planning to do.

A18A
01-31-2009, 09:15 PM
fair enough. i know what you mean about the hard to access nuts, especially those ones undernethe the manifold on a efi engine :eek:

AccordB20A
01-31-2009, 10:34 PM
carb manis are WAY worcer. lol

i usually dont use a gasket as silicon allways works :)

A18A
01-31-2009, 11:16 PM
well i wouldnt know cause when i got my car the bottom nuts where already missing due to whoever previously working on my car not installing them (woot) i woulda thought they woulda been easier though since they dont have that round shape like efi ones do. i normally use cardboard cause its reusable & i can never afford silicon lol

Joay
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
My old CB7 had a nasty idle surge for the longest time because of one of those. It was a real pain to fix, too. Had to literally sit on the valve cover for a while to get to the lower IM nuts. I'm not at all surprised whoever was down there didn't out them back on, they're a bitch.

lostforawhile
02-10-2009, 07:52 PM
am i the only one who doesn't have trouble getting those nuts on and off? it's a combination of extensions, 3/8 and 1/4 sockets, swivels and gum. no kidding.

OldSkoolA20accord
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
omg the carb mani was a pain. It would have been easier if it didnt have those damn bracket things.