PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Blower when cold

nfs480
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Today is the second day i've had this problem (happened once last week too), I got into the car, started it up, and found out I had no blower. No matter which speed setting I chose it didn't work. The first time it started working again after about an hour and it worked for a week since and now today it doesn't work again. It only seems to happen on extremely cold days, I replaced the blower motor resistor this past summer when the med-high speed stopped functioning so that's new. Anyone have any ideas for what to check?

nfs480
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Ok, i'm going through the steps in the shop manual for diagnostics and for one of the steps it says to connect a jumper wire between the body ground and the BLU/BLK terminal. I've never done anything like this before and was wondering where the body ground is located and what i'd use as a jumper wire?

EDIT: Also, any tips on how to remove the blower speed switch would be most appreciated.

2ndGenGuy
02-03-2009, 01:48 PM
The body ground is just any ground that you can find. Usually just touching it to a bare piece of metal that's bolted to the body will work. If you can find a bolt on your firewall or near the door or something. You can also use anything as a jumper wire. Just gotta connect it from that spot they're talking about to the body. It won't, and can't shock you, so don't worry about holding the wires together with your hand.

nfs480
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
All right, thanks. I tested the wiring and it read 12.13 volts so I know that is good. I'm still having problems with the whole jumpering thing. I got a long piece of copper wire but I can't seem to figure out where they want me to jumper it from. I'm on page 22-10 in the shop manual and they're talking about jumpering from the BLU/BLK wire to the body ground yet one step before they asked me to plug that wire back into the blower. How am I supposed to jumper it then?

nfs480
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
ok, i've managed to confirm that the blower motor is bad and I've now purchased a new one. Any tips on easy ways to replace it before I get started (gonna start tomorrow afternoon)?

3gmodifier
02-03-2009, 07:44 PM
i have noticed that on both my sedan and coupe sometimes it wont work so i wiggle the key while the car is on and the contacts work. sometimes the ignition switch can get corroded and a lil wiggle can re-establish a solid connection short of resoldering it.

nfs480
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
no, it's the motor. I unplugged the plug from the motor and plugged it into the new motor just sitting on the floor of the car and it worked just fine. I just need to tear the blower motor housing apart to replace the motor and it's gonna be all fixed. I'm just wondering how difficult of a job that is and if anyone has any tips for me before I get started.

Oldblueaccord
02-04-2009, 08:51 AM
If you do a search under my screen name or something on AC I took some photos of taking the air box down etc. Its not to bad of a job but the box is hard to get down if you just try and jerk it out. The top of the box needs to go toward you as it comes down. Loosen the dash bolts on that side might be a good idea as well. The one the passenger door hides esp.

As far as replacing the motor I have no idea but on a bench I would say its not too bad.

IN a pinch there is a small, plastic, accordain looking tube, that runs to the motor. If you blow air into it it blows onto the brushes of the motor. Careful that black dust is carbon and not good for you. That might make it last a little longer. Also if you turn the motor with your finger when the power is applied they usually will start.

wp

nfs480
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey, thanks, that's very useful. I already bought a replacement motor (got it for $30 from O'reilly's). I wonder why your blower housing is white and mine is black, odd that they would change something like that. I read something about cleaning out the evaporator drain, in the winter time I hear water in the dash that i'm assuming is from snow getting in from the area below the wiper blades and melting down in the heater core. Do you think cleaning that out would solve the problem and how would I go about doing that?

nfs480
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Ok, i've successfully replaced the motor, and it works. The problem now is that since taking it apart it appears to be stuck in REC, it won't switch to FRESH. Any ideas on what to do? I plugged the REC/FRESH motor back in of course.