PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transaxle Driving

bank2me
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
So I want to know what you guys think about this. Someone told me that it's bad for the transaxle to roll to stop signs(or lights) in nuetral meaning pulling it out of gear and rolling to the stop. Or what if I come off the interstate and pull it out of gear doin like 60 in nuetral coming up to the stop sign? What do you guys think?

AZmike
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
It doesn't cause any harm, but leaving it in gear with the throttle closed will save a bit of fuel if your car is fuel-injected.

Hauntd ca3
02-05-2009, 12:41 AM
it dont matter with manual gearboxs but does with autos.
the only time you'd want to pop in to neutral is as you said at lights while waiting for the green but only to save the release bearing from wearing out faster than normal

AccordB20A
02-05-2009, 12:47 AM
i thought it only mattered in an auto when the motor was not running cause it had no cooling, when the motor is running the atf gets pumped around so its sweet?

Hauntd ca3
02-05-2009, 01:31 AM
apparently autos dont like being shifted from a drive gear to n on the move.
specially hondas with their fancy lock ups and manual style gear sets, its similar to shifting a manual into neutral on the move with out using the clutch.
might not do much damage i fyou dont do it often but constantly doing it cant b good

ghettogeddy
02-05-2009, 01:38 AM
i always pop my manual into neutral and coast like down hill and shit lol specially to stop lights and signs cause if i dont i always gas it till the last min
if i pop it i dont have my foot in it lol

not real sure if the down hill stuff is good for it but i dont see why not it would be more stress on it if it were in gear

Strugglebucket
02-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Match revs and downshift ALWAYS!

...unless you're feeling lazy:beat:

cygnus x-1
02-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I can't think of a reason why you would want to do this but it shouldn't hurt anything whether manual or automatic. What you don't want to do is hold the clutch pedal down all the time at stop lights. It wears out throwout bearing faster.

If you're into hypermiling I would just leave it in gear and coast. With fuel injection you might save a small amount of fuel coasting in gear, because when the engine goes into overrun it mostly cuts off the fuel.

C|

A18A
02-05-2009, 09:42 AM
another reason to not hold the clutch pedal down is the very slight possibility of the cable snapping and putting your car into the ass of another one or through a red light.

Bass Man
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
If the engine is off in an Auto and you tow it, the TC won't move any fluids that the bearings need. That's why if you tow it, you need to start it every 100 miles or so.

Manual... Can't see any problem. If you leave it in 1st and coast down a hill with your clutch in, the clutch will most likely explode. They aren't made to spin 10kRPM without being pinched between the flywheel and pressure plate.

Joay
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
It doesn't cause any harm, but leaving it in gear with the throttle closed will save a bit of fuel if your car is fuel-injected.
That uses less gas than idling?

Nafs Asdf
02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes, it cuts off the fuel completely on EFI cars. (Over a certain RPM I think)

Hauntd ca3
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
yep
the ecu cuts fuel to just bout nothing on over run
at idle the mixture tends to be quite rich

cygnus x-1
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Just as an example; one data log I have of my engine running during idle and coasting in gear shows that idle fuel flow is around 6 cc/min, and coasting fuel flow is maybe 0.5 cc/min. So for say 1 hour worth of coasting you could save 330 cc of fuel, or 0.087 gallons. Of course I have no clue how long it would take to accumulate 1 hour of coasting time. Maybe if you drive in the mountains it could be significant.

For the curious, fuel flow at WOT at 6500 RPM is around 620 cc/min.

C|

Dr_Snooz
02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
So I want to know what you guys think about this. Someone told me that it's bad for the transaxle to roll to stop signs(or lights) in nuetral meaning pulling it out of gear and rolling to the stop. Or what if I come off the interstate and pull it out of gear doin like 60 in nuetral coming up to the stop sign? What do you guys think?

Absolute, complete and utter balderdash.

bank2me
02-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Absolute, complete and utter balderdash.

Yea I kinda thought the person who told me this was givin me a line of fuckin hoo ee. Then again the person who told me it was bad for the transaxle owns a 97 talon turbo that has been through fuckin 3 transaxles lol.

Bass Man
02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
3 Transaxles??

The first one was from running out of oil or factory error. The Second was from rebuilding the Tranny his self instead of replacing it. The third was either of the 2.

bank2me
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
3 Transaxles??

The first one was from running out of oil or factory error. The Second was from rebuilding the Tranny his self instead of replacing it. The third was either of the 2.

Ya apparently she took the car to a trans shop and they rebuilt it. Then rebuilt it again. And now it only has like 2nd 3rd and 4th or something apparently so idk wtf is up with the car or her driving. Buy a fucking honda right.:321:

russiankid
02-07-2009, 10:35 AM
So this is a she? One reason why not to take the advice you were given.

lostforawhile
02-07-2009, 02:14 PM
you aren't supposed to coast,you lose engine braking, and you will end up overheating the brakes on downhills over a period of time. automatics always have drag from the torque converter, engine is always coupled to the pump in the transmission no matter what gear you are in,you are supposed to use your engine to maintain your speed.

Dr_Snooz
02-07-2009, 07:54 PM
So this is a she? One reason why not to take the advice you were given.

:werd: I wouldn't take advice on not blowing up your trans from anyone who's managed to blow 3.

bank2me
02-08-2009, 12:16 AM
I've heard from a couple people that it's bad to coast in neutral. :rice:

Then again they could've been confused with automatic tranny's.

redaztec
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not going to pretend to be a transmission expert, but I know the basics of how a manual trans works, and I can't see any reason that coasting in neutral would be bad for the transmission.