PDA

View Full Version : Temp related power steering problem

Hecubus84
02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
...Nothing like winter to bring out a host of problems you never knew you had.

My power steering has been acting strange lately. When I first start up the car in sub-freezing weather it's very difficult to turn the wheel to the right, only to the right. It goes away when the ps fluid gets up to temp (about 5min depending on how cold it is). And just yesterday, I started the car (cold) and the steering immediately went to full lock to the left. I've never encountered a problem like this before, anybody have an idea as to what's causing it?

Oldblueaccord
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Sounds like contaminated fluid prolly water logged. Try sucking out as much fluid as you can and adding Honda compliant power steering fluid back in. it may take time to get it straighten out.

You may have to have the whole system flush and refilled and maybe even the reservior changed out it has a filter inside if it.

wp

nfs480
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, definitely try flushing the system first.

greentee76
02-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I have similar issues with my PS here in frigid Michigan. I would be most concerned about it going all the way to left lock! though. Mine is just alittle stiff in returning. The line that connect one side of the rack to the other is small and right out there in the open. I assume mine is just from the fluid being thick because of the 0 degree weather.
Mine has fresh Honda PS fluid in it too, as I lost most of it when I pulled the tranny.
Flush and refill would probably help your situation.

russiankid
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I never had a problem with my fluid even in the 0 degree weather. I have a reman rack and pinion, rebuilt pump, and new Honda fluid.

Dr_Snooz
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
If that isn't incentive to leave friggin cold Michigan. I don't know what is. LOL

Demon1024
02-06-2009, 03:13 AM
^ how bout road salt.

greentee76
02-06-2009, 02:19 PM
If that isn't incentive to leave friggin cold Michigan. I don't know what is. LOL

Ahh.. cmon. To each his own I guess. I mean it's beautiful here ... for at least three months every year. LOL. We just happen to be in the middle of hibernation season. Sleep,eat,work...sleep,eat,work, etc.
But April's right around the corner:thumbup:

russiankid
02-06-2009, 03:37 PM
It was really cold here the other day. It was so cold that the bottle of water I had between the hand brake and seat was frozen.

lostforawhile
02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I have similar issues with my PS here in frigid Michigan. I would be most concerned about it going all the way to left lock! though. Mine is just alittle stiff in returning. The line that connect one side of the rack to the other is small and right out there in the open. I assume mine is just from the fluid being thick because of the 0 degree weather.
Mine has fresh Honda PS fluid in it too, as I lost most of it when I pulled the tranny.
Flush and refill would probably help your situation.are you talking about the line from one boot to the other? all that does is equalize the pressure between boots so one can expand and one contract at the same time.----- all the fluid lines all go to the valve body on one end of the rack. the small rubber lines attached to the speed sensor tell the control valve to divert fluid back to the resevoir over a certain speed. if the steering is going to one side, it's a problem in the valve. probably water causing it to freeze in place. there is an online service manual on this site that goes into great detail about the power steering system and repairs to it. you can download the entire pdf of the factory manual on this . i would do that first, read it,then when you understand the system, what it's doing makes a lot more sense.

greentee76
02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
are you talking about the line from one boot to the other? all that does is equalize the pressure between boots so one can expand and one contract at the same time.----- all the fluid lines all go to the valve body on one end of the rack. the small rubber lines attached to the speed sensor tell the control valve to divert fluid back to the resevoir over a certain speed. if the steering is going to one side, it's a problem in the valve. probably water causing it to freeze in place. there is an online service manual on this site that goes into great detail about the power steering system and repairs to it. you can download the entire pdf of the factory manual on this . i would do that first, read it,then when you understand the system, what it's doing makes a lot more sense.

I stand corrected, however mine is just a little stiff when cold, as is everything else.
As I stated the OP problem with the steering going to full lock is a much bigger deal than I have.

lostforawhile
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I stand corrected, however mine is just a little stiff when cold, as is everything else.
As I stated the OP problem with the steering going to full lock is a much bigger deal than I have.
oh i agress i was just giving him some ideas of where to look, that valve could have corrosion in it also, thats not a good thing