PDA

View Full Version : bushings and balljoints??

King Peetis
02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Just a couple of newbie questions--
I want to replace all of my balljoints and bushings and Im having trouble determining which and what to buy. Just when I think I have it narrowed down I go to the internet to search and I uncover what seems to be dozens of choices and I dont know where to start and I dont know where to end. I have searched the parts houses for the right purchase but there seem to be so many. Does anyone have part #'s or suggestions for me??? Money for these items is not really that important. I would like good quality bushings and balljoints by a well-known manufacturer but it doesnt have to be the best on the market. In addition, keep in mind I will be installing an Ingalls camber kit for all four corners.

Also--whats the best way to search for stuff. I type something simple in the search field and I get everything but what Im looking for--whats up???

carotman
02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I would get Honda OEM ones or MOOG brand. Nothing else.

itzdave
02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
well, if money's not really a big deal, id check auto-zone or whatever auto parts stores are near and see what they got. i know that auto-zone carries 'moog' parts and that is what i would recommend. I bought the e-bay kit for about 150$ish and it had all of the front end components, but no brand name.
you can even search online at autozone, o'reillys, napa, etc too if ya want

LX-incredible
02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Moog, three-five, or honda. Most of the moog balljoints are made by three-five. Other than the front lower balljoints, you're paying extra for the pretty blue box.

Rendon LX-i
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
agreed . moog is the way to go. i got the cambers kits for the reat moog... 100ish a piece lol..

King Peetis
02-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks Carotman and everyone else for backing him--Moog it is!!!!

I just got the car on the road last week and noticed that the front end feels light, kinda sloppy, at highway speeds. Also when I step on the gas the car pulls to the right and when I hit the brake it pulls to the left. I looked under and saw that the drivers side half shaft is done. The boot was cut all the way around and missing all the grease. Im sure this is partly the problem. The bushings and balljoints looked like they have 500K on them as well.

I have been looking and Ive come up with a few hits. Moog pretty much has everything I need. I am way more concerned at this point in making the car safe than look cool. Cool can wait a bit.

Moog:
strut rod bushing kit
front inner tie rod
front outer tie rod end
front upper/lower balljoint
rear upper/lower balljoint
front lower control arm bushing
shock absorber bushing

Anything else I might be missing???

I was looking at RockAuto.com but I have seen a couple of posts that say stay away from them. Whats up with the rock? Or should I go down to the local parts store--buying locally makes returns real easy

AZmike
02-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I've had good luck with RockAuto the several times I have dealt with them. The only issue I've heard of is their return process.

Also, their parts can come from different warehouse locations, so pay attention as you build your order and it will show what comes from where so you can try to minimize shipping charges.

MessyHonda
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
yup when i redid my front end i went moog parts...honda too with poly bushings in the control arms

LX-incredible
10-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Moog, three-five, or honda. Most of the moog balljoints are made by three-five. Other than the front lower balljoints, you're paying extra for the pretty blue box.
I'd like to add that Raybestos Professional Grade ball joints, control arms, and bushings are now also made by three-five and that the moog lower ball joints no longer come with the poly boots and are now stamped "three-five". So now with pretty much everything moog, you're paying for three-five parts in a super deluxe box.