PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator

ZeroLux
02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Where can I find a stock OE style FPR for the 89 LX-i that wont cost $70+ for such a small part? I was going to replace it tomorrow when I do the rest of the work to it but my usual local place had it for $72 and some change. Also is there a good way to test my old one before I commit to bothering with a new one?

Tomorrow's task list:

Poor Man's Dizzy refurb
New Fuel Filter
Clean out the fuel rail (if I can)
Clean up injectors
Compression test on all four cyl
Remove and clean EGR

and anything else I can find that wont give headaches and cost more money. Suggestions?

Zero

Pico
02-07-2009, 10:49 PM
you can rebuild your old unit and modify it to a adjustable pressure regulator
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63454 or just go to J/Y and pocket a couple.
What problems are you having with yours

ZeroLux
02-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Not entirely sure I have a problem, but short of replacing the fuel pump I am pretty much rebuilding/cleaning the entire fuel system tomorrow. I figured since I was already in there it might be beneficial to check that out too.

One thing though, summer of last year I had to unexpectedly replace the water pump, while I was doing that I disconnected the fuel return line at the bottom of the regulator by accident and to my surprise the fluid that poured out was milky-whitish in color. I know injector cleaners can cause that if there is water in the gas but at that point I had never added any injector cleaners to the tank.

Right now I'm thinking my whole fuel system is dirty and needs some attention and could be a large part of the problems I am running into. I picked up a new filter tonight and a few things to clean the rail and POSSIBLY the injectors to a point. I noticed today that I now have a third injector starting to leak and I find it interesting that it's happening in sequence away from the FPR. By this I mean when I got the car, the two injectors on the drivers side were already leaking on to the manifold runners. Now, I have the next one over starting up with the same business as the other two- leading me to wonder wtf is jamming my rail that is causing enough back pressure to cause this. Maybe I'm wrong. Just seems suspicious.

Zero

Edit: I'm also kinda stressing the idea that my injectors are now toast. I picture them jammed with dirt and junk on the inside from the way this car runs sometimes. Unfortunately I don't really have the cash right now to get another set of injectors so I am hoping there might be something I can do on my own without resorting to taking them to a shop to be cleaned.

Pico
02-07-2009, 11:13 PM
if you can get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge you can check to see if your regulator is stuck causing the pressure to be too high.
You can get some seafoam and soak your injectors in them to help loosen up any build-up

ZeroLux
02-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah that was my next question. What is safe to soak the injectors in while I am doing the rest of the work. Just regular old SeaFoam is ok for all of it? I can pick up a can tomorrow morning for that.

Pico
02-07-2009, 11:22 PM
you be amazed on seafoam cleans, when I had to smog my Legend last year it failed smog really bad, after I used seafoam thru the manifold it passed with amazing results, the smog tech couldnt believe how low the numbers dropped.
Anyway I myself dont see any harm in soaking the injectors in it. and than you can pour the rest of it in your tank.

ZeroLux
02-07-2009, 11:49 PM
I've run it through my intake once before, saw a little improvement but nothing to make a fuss about. Thanks for the advice, I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Zero