PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done it this way before?

ZeroLux
02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
So I was doing some searching last night and came across a video on google that talked about SeaFoam. It was made by the company that produces it and showed a variety of things you could do with it in a car. One thing they demonstrated was something that has given me an idea for an attempt at flushing my current injectors. What they did was on a diesel truck they changed out the fuel filter but before they installed they filled the new one with SeaFoam right out of the can, installed the filter, and cranked the engine over to gain fuel pressure and run the chemical through the engine.

Now, what I am considering, if this sounds safe... doing basically the same, I bought a new filter already, I have a can of SeaFoam handy, I was going to put the two together and turn the engine JUST ENOUGH to get the cleaner into the injectors and cylinders, let it sit for a while, then turn the engine over and let it run for a while.

Think that would cause any problems? Any opinions on how long I should let it sit for? Will it even crank over this way without making bigger problems?

Just an idea, figured it could not hurt much. It's the most direct way of getting pure cleaner into the injectors/rail/chambers short of buying a special kit or having it professionally done. Waddya think?

Since the filter is so small I was going to load it, then toss the remainder of the can in my gas tank and top off the fuel. Maybe run some into the intake via the brake booster hose too.

Zero

turabaka
02-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't think it would hurt anything. I usually seafoam my car by dumping it straight into the carb. So it's probably about the same thing. Maybe one of the FI guys will chime in with some more info.

lostforawhile
02-08-2009, 10:45 PM
So I was doing some searching last night and came across a video on google that talked about SeaFoam. It was made by the company that produces it and showed a variety of things you could do with it in a car. One thing they demonstrated was something that has given me an idea for an attempt at flushing my current injectors. What they did was on a diesel truck they changed out the fuel filter but before they installed they filled the new one with SeaFoam right out of the can, installed the filter, and cranked the engine over to gain fuel pressure and run the chemical through the engine.

Now, what I am considering, if this sounds safe... doing basically the same, I bought a new filter already, I have a can of SeaFoam handy, I was going to put the two together and turn the engine JUST ENOUGH to get the cleaner into the injectors and cylinders, let it sit for a while, then turn the engine over and let it run for a while.

Think that would cause any problems? Any opinions on how long I should let it sit for? Will it even crank over this way without making bigger problems?

Just an idea, figured it could not hurt much. It's the most direct way of getting pure cleaner into the injectors/rail/chambers short of buying a special kit or having it professionally done. Waddya think?

Since the filter is so small I was going to load it, then toss the remainder of the can in my gas tank and top off the fuel. Maybe run some into the intake via the brake booster hose too.

Zerothe ony thing i would worry about, the diesel can probably burn the stuff,but it may not burn and ignite well enogh to start a gas powered car. it would be like having water in the fuel. it would clean it but it may not start

ZeroLux
02-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah I had thought about the concentration being too high, but from what I can tell the stuff burns pretty well. Or am I mistaken and it doesn't really burn without a secondary ignition source? If it does not burn and floods the cylinders I could always just disconnect the fuel pump fuse again and cycle the engine clear I suppose. That would give it some extra push to get it to various places to clear out carbon too.

I also noticed in that video they recommend using some in your oil. Never heard that one before, but being petroleum based I guess it's not so bad. They never said how long to leave it in there for.

Zero

cygnus x-1
02-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Even if it doesn't burn as well as gasoline it would only cause a problem temporarily until it gets flushed out by more gasoline.

I'm wondering if you could accomplish the same thing my taking the injectors off and just soaking them in Seafoam.

C|

87DXACCORD
02-09-2009, 08:23 AM
diffently dont leave in the oil like lucas or other additives. I did this in my teg poured it in with a fresh oil change and left it in, drove around for a few days, and when i checked the thing was almost bone dry. i dont why this happened. I use the seafoam like an engine flush now, in my old oil, let it run for 5 to 10 and then drain and refill. it seems to work pretty good at getting the carbon and sludge out.

fogged
02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm wondering if you could accomplish the same thing my taking the injectors off and just soaking them in Seafoam.

C|

Ive done it and it worked fine for me. I had no problems at all getting it to start when all done.