PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Third Gens

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
anyone in southwest Idaho?

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Twin falls here. I used to live in Boise. Turabaka (my homey) is in Boise, as well as about 3 other 3geezers.

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 01:59 PM
yeah, i'm in Boise...no third gens around here really except a few commuter guys that don't take care of theirs. so it's kind of a lone ranger situation out here. no one to show me the ropes on these cars, haha.

turabaka
02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah man I'm in Boise. We should hang out sometime.

Also, Bitesize I might have to make a trip up to your house this spring and have give me a crash course in body work. I'm getting really tired of all the little dents and dings in my car, and I really want to repaint it this year.

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
hey turabaka, what's your availability man? i've got a suspension problem like no one's business, and need that shit fixed stat. the strut's all wobblin' and shit, and i can feel it in the steering wheel too...plus i need someone who's got some tools i can use to pull the shock assembly out and possibly try and fix the problem. the kid i bought this thing from put ground control coil overs in here and he installed them wrong i'm sure.

turabaka
02-09-2009, 03:45 PM
hey turabaka, what's your availability man? i've got a suspension problem like no one's business, and need that shit fixed stat. the strut's all wobblin' and shit, and i can feel it in the steering wheel too...plus i need someone who's got some tools i can use to pull the shock assembly out and possibly try and fix the problem. the kid i bought this thing from put ground control coil overs in here and he installed them wrong i'm sure.

sadly I have to work pretty much every day this week. As soon as next weeks work schedule comes out though I'll shoot you a pm or give you a call, and we can get that taken care of. Thankfully shocks are pretty easy to do on this car.

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
hopefully...i need to figure out why the strut is loose enough to move back and forth, and up and down. shit's fucking whack...the guy who had it before me must've dropped it too far or something...i don't know, i'm sure you know the blue accord, with the black hood...dropped down like no one's business.

turabaka
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
yep. I actually met the guy that owned it before you. I had no idea he sold it though.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/turabaka/DSC_0115.jpg

it's that one right?

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
3rd party.... I told that guy he was going to have problems. You need to go with Trevor (turabaka) to jalopy jungle and get a whole stock suspension and start over. I told him he was going to regret it, and guess what, he sold his fucking car to you. I pitty you severly. Listen to me. Go get a stock suspension and start over. Your suspension is ruined and you will end wrecking or killing yourself in that car. Hell, bring your car to twin with the "stock parts you get from the junk yard" and I'll help you put them in about 2 hours. Yes, I am the master, I can help you with anything you need, except I live 150 miles away.

Yeah man I'm in Boise. We should hang out sometime.

Also, Bitesize I might have to make a trip up to your house this spring and have give me a crash course in body work. I'm getting really tired of all the little dents and dings in my car, and I really want to repaint it this year.

You know Trevor, I was about to throw away all my straight board sandpaper away on Saturday when I cleaned the garage, but something said no. Come to Twin falls sometime and I'll help you out. I have everything you need and nothing a few dollars couldn't fix.

P.s.

5 speed swap = Bitesizes car this spring time very soon...... :) Just need the 5 speed linkage, and that can wait till last, because It's not my daily driver. My vacation starts over Mid March, so let me know when you want to do it. Shit we can do the 5 speed swap, your body work and go fishing in what.....the two days it takes us to do all this. lol.

turabaka
02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
sweet. give me a call when you get all the parts, and I'll come by and help you swap it all over.

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
yup, i bought it from him a couple weeks ago. but this week i was raising it back up so that the wheels wouldn't tuck, and i wouldn't have to slow down to like 15-mph through intersections, and the passenger front strut assembly's like nothing i've ever seen. so far i've had to replace the battery, change the oil, fidget with the intake piece so i wouldn't get shocked from touching the filter element that was rubbing up against the distributor wires, bleed the brakes, and i have to go to Jolopy (spelling?) to grab the bleeder valves off the rear brakes of another third gen since the ones on this one snapped off while trying to loosen them. so...lots to come for this car, lots of TLC...

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
BITESIZE:

yeah, i'm probably going to end up buying a new set of KYB GR-2s, with some Eibach springs, drop it only an inch IF that. really this car's supposed to be our commuter car for work and shit. my heart belongs to the Z31 300ZX, haha. :cool:

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
3rd party, the guy that had the car before you was an idiot... If you have eibach ground controls right now, save them for me :) Even if they are bad, I'll make them work. I had Eibach sportlines with tokicos on my hatch back in the day and I loved them.

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 04:05 PM
well the only thing i have right now are those ground control springs/sleeves that came with this car back when i bought it, which i'll gladly toss to the side as the worse thing since rice became hip. but seriously, the front passenger, "sleeve/coilover" thing is FUCKED...the only good thing is the spring...the sleeve's been rubbed down to hardly anything

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, you and turabaka need to make a roadtrip to Twin this spring sometime and I'll fix you both up nice. 3rd party this is the about the 7th 3gee I've worked on and I've owned 4 3gees in my day. My brother has owned 3 3gees in his day, so I'm very experienced with them.

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
sweet. give me a call when you get all the parts, and I'll come by and help you swap it all over. I just need the linkage, but that doesn't really matter, because that will be the last thing that needs installed as it is. You tell me when you can come after March 25th, and I'll take a week off work and we'll have a 3gee orgy. lol

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM
well i need to find some fix to keep that strut from wobbling around like that for now until i can get the new struts and springs...'cause i'm seriously at my mind's end...haha, i've got an SOS situation over here!! ha

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
well i need to find some fix to keep that strut from wobbling around like that for now until i can get the new struts and springs...'cause i'm seriously at my mind's end...haha, i've got an SOS situation over here!! ha

I've been in that situation. Just like i told that guy who owned the car before you. Why do you think he sold it? Anyways, if you need any help pm me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll help you out.

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Heres a tip. The only way to have a good looking car that low to the ground is to have air bags.

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 04:41 PM
dude, i've NEVER lowered any of my cars, mostly 'cause i've owned cars that don't really require the need to be lowered...FIRST i'm not going fast enough half the time to really get the full benefit of having a, "low" car...and the car's i've built and raced are all straight line cars...so, no need, haha :lock:

turabaka
02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I just need the linkage, but that doesn't really matter, because that will be the last thing that needs installed as it is. You tell me when you can come after March 25th, and I'll take a week off work and we'll have a 3gee orgy. lol

I'm free pretty much whenever just say when and I'll get the time off from work.

ps. Almost forgot, but I hear there's an 1/8th mile track up near you. We should set it up so that I'm up there the same week as they have a test and tune at the track. Apparently it's pretty empty so you can get a crapload of runs in. Picked up that piece of info from a guy who runs motorcycles at Firebird.

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
test and tune = fun...seriously, we need to get a good group of people together who know what they're doing, and can bring something worth proving. maybe branch off into an Idaho based third gen forum??

BITESIZE
02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
My car is slow ass hell, but i'm game.

3rd Party
02-10-2009, 11:58 AM
well hell, a group doesn't necessarily have to be, "fast." it's just nice to have a group of people to cruise with, end at a bar or something, and have a few drinks and bullshit.

BITESIZE
02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Sometime the last of March?

2drSE-i
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
so bitesize what did this guy do to fuck up his suspension that bad?

turabaka
02-11-2009, 09:42 PM
so bitesize what did this guy do to fuck up his suspension that bad?

Bitesize never got to see it in person, but I did. Basically what he did was took a set of ground controls on stock shocks, and slammed it all the way to the ground. He couldn't even fit his foot under the side of his car. There's no way his upper control arms weren't rubbing on the body.

3rd Party
02-11-2009, 11:45 PM
haha, yeah and i get to drive the salvaged aftermath of that car being dropped that low for however long it was dropped. so far it's managed to limp its way around town with the blown front passenger strut. but i for sure need to get that shit fixed ASAP...

turabaka
02-12-2009, 02:28 AM
haha, yeah and i get to drive the salvaged aftermath of that car being dropped that low for however long it was dropped. so far it's managed to limp its way around town with the blown front passenger strut. but i for sure need to get that shit fixed ASAP...

We still on for tomorrow maing? Just give me a call so we can go out to jalopy. I have all day since it's my day off.

BITESIZE
02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
^^Get me the whole 5 speed shift linkage and I'll pay ya back!

turabaka
02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
^^Get me the whole 5 speed shift linkage and I'll pay ya back!

I'll grab it if I find one then. :)

BITESIZE
02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Any news?

3rd Party
02-14-2009, 11:34 AM
well we got, "turabaka's" cam installed Thursday, i picked up some pieces for the strut until i can buy some new ones, and the control arms off a third gen Prelude. i haven't talked to, "turabaka" in a day, but i'm sure the car's running good, when i left it sounded pretty fucking sick, and pulls pretty hard with that new cam in there. :thumbup:

turabaka
02-14-2009, 12:58 PM
yep yep. Car runs pretty good. Probably need to tune the carb a bit more, and bump my idle up a bit more, but other than that it's all good. Didn't find your shift linkage though cause the junkyard was a muddy mess. I'll go back when the weather is nicer, and grab it for you. Although I did find a Vigor sway bar for 10 bucks, so now all I need is some time to throw it on there. Prolly tomorrow. Then I'm gonna dyno the car next week after I get my paycheck.

BITESIZE
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Defanitely get me the linkage, cause i have everything except that. :)

3rd Party
02-14-2009, 05:39 PM
hey Trevor, give me a call some time...i get the tax return check Thursday, so we should just go spend half a day at Jalopy if it's good weather, and i'll drive! haha. plus i need to pick up two VW wheels, 'cause one of the ones i was going to use where bent, and the other's good, just needs a new tire. but hit me up! it's SPENDING TIME! haha :D

BITESIZE
02-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Pick me up a driver's side tail light off of a 88 or 89 lxi. Also get me the 5 speed shift linkage with all the hardware.

3rd Party
02-14-2009, 06:47 PM
anything special about '88-89 LX-i taillights??

turabaka
02-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I think they're supposed to be a little different than the 86-87 ones, but I can't remember for sure. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya. :)

3rd Party
02-15-2009, 01:55 AM
hrm, i can't imagine there being a HUGE enough difference, but hey...who am i to say, i've only owned one for two weeks HAHA

BITESIZE
02-15-2009, 08:40 AM
The color on the lense is a little different.

3rd Party
02-15-2009, 12:28 PM
hrm...is it noticeable to the naked eye?

86ccord
02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
they wont fit in a 86-87 dx, or lx.. :(

russiankid
02-15-2009, 05:52 PM
they wont fit in a 86-87 dx, or lx.. :(

They will fit, they'll just look like ass if you don't change the trunk lights too. They're smaller and different in color.

88-89 on the left, 86-87 on the right.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/3geez%20meet/S6301269.jpg

3rd Party
02-15-2009, 06:43 PM
well, there you have it folks...the myth has been made to truth! :rly:

frantik
02-16-2009, 03:22 AM
my gf moved to boise.. this thread makes me sad

if i'm ever up there ill hit u guys up

BITESIZE
02-16-2009, 08:45 AM
my gf moved to boise.. this thread makes me sad

if i'm ever up there ill hit u guys up

Yay!! Come see us someday!

Sik_sohc
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
you guys make me laugh i specifically told third party that the front passenger strut was blown, no coils are not put on wrong and i raised it up for you when you were supposed to buy it and you told me no slam it back down i like that look better. I said okay you just got a baby its not gonna be safe at all but you still wanted it so no of this is my fault all yours it was your request and you get what you pay/ask for.

turabaka
02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
you guys make me laugh i specifically told third party that the front passenger strut was blown, no coils are not put on wrong and i raised it up for you when you were supposed to buy it and you told me no slam it back down i like that look better. I said okay you just got a baby its not gonna be safe at all but you still wanted it so no of this is my fault all yours it was your request and you get what you pay/ask for.

would you mind explaining how you managed to destroy the threads on a 200 dollar set of coilovers? That one had me confused and I'd love to know the answer. Plus why you never put the strut cover/washer thingy back on the "blown" strut. The reason it's blown is because it's installed wrong.

3rd Party
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM

first off, if the shit's not put on wrong then how the fuck is the strut popping out of the housing in the enginge bay, and cockeyed to the side?? and if you jack the car up you can basically wiggle the fuck out of the strut?? i think we can take a pole here and 100% of people will say that IS NOT supposed to happen. plus, i can post pictures of the sleeve on the ground controls and how they're rubbed to fuck. i didn't know that these cars weren't supposed to be slammed this low at the time before i bought it, so in thinking it was ok for it to be low i said, "...sure, i don't mind if you drop it around an inch lower than what you had it..." when you showed it to me at the McD's and Chevron. so if we wanna point fingers, SURE it was my fault to allow the car to be lowered when these cars aren't supposed to be this low...but you have to take responsibility for the fact that a lot of this shit is nigger rigged to hell, and that's fine i can fix it...but when you're trying to sell a car, don't feed the buyer a bunch of bullshit in order to persuade them into buying it...that's just fucked up. in all honestly, i think we all can agree that you just simply don't have the know how to work/tune on cars...now GTFO of my thread post.

Sik_sohc
02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
you make me laugh its alot better than your pos pontiac and get me my keyboard already we had an agreement and dont change that now i can bring tools and help you out with your car if you would like but honestly i dont know why the strut is fucked i think its missing a ruber bushing and ill go out with you to jalopy jungle and get a new one its only about 15 dollars all total we can raise it back up and you can go to town

3rd Party
02-17-2009, 11:50 PM
everytime i talk to you you start to remember all this shit you forgot to do, or just simply forgot about. you should be laughing at yourself for the fact that someone else has to fix your mistakes that you made on your Accord since you didn't listen to anyone here when lowering your car. and the fact that you didn't even tell me that the car shouldn't be slammed is pretty fucked. and true car owner would explain to the person buying it the does, and do nots about these cars...i'd think

2drSE-i
02-18-2009, 04:44 AM
this is gonna get ugly fast.

BITESIZE
02-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Lmao!!

russiankid
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I come to fix sprinkler.

Joay
02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
everytime i talk to you you start to remember all this shit you forgot to do, or just simply forgot about. you should be laughing at yourself for the fact that someone else has to fix your mistakes that you made on your Accord since you didn't listen to anyone here when lowering your car. and the fact that you didn't even tell me that the car shouldn't be slammed is pretty fucked. and true car owner would explain to the person buying it the does, and do nots about these cars...i'd thinkLook. The majority of us have probably been pwnt by previous owners of cars we’ve had; hence the aphorism let the buyer beware. I obviously don’t know either of you or the details of the transaction, but common sense should raise a little flag when you see a 1980s family car with zero-point-no ground clearance. You bought a cheap car from a young guy who had obviously modified it. Not saying you asked for your suspension to explode, but it’s not like you didn’t have some forewarning. The situation alone of a kid buying an old car from another kid is cause enough for concern.

Maybe he could’ve been a little more clear about how things were modified, maybe he was being completely honest. You guys are the only ones who know. But you did buy the car, and (gathering from a couple posts from this thread) you didn’t buy it sight unseen. If you’re unsure about something mechanically, and not completely confident in your own ability to recognize a problem, bring your dad or a friend with some wrench time with you to look at it. I feel for you dude, I bought my second car from a guy I’d never met and never will again and it self-destructed in a matter of months. Looking back, though, if I had paid a little more attention or done a more thorough job researching and inspecting the car when I saw it – instead of getting all giggly about buying a new car – I could’ve saved myself a lot of money and trouble.
So, whatever happened, you’ve got the car now. Fix what’s wrong, and be more careful.

</sermon>

3rd Party
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Look. The majority of us have probably been pwnt by previous owners of cars we’ve had; hence the aphorism let the buyer beware. I obviously don’t know either of you or the details of the transaction, but common sense should raise a little flag when you see a 1980s family car with zero-point-no ground clearance. You bought a cheap car from a young guy who had obviously modified it. Not saying you asked for your suspension to explode, but it’s not like you didn’t have some forewarning. The situation alone of a kid buying an old car from another kid is cause enough for concern.

Maybe he could’ve been a little more clear about how things were modified, maybe he was being completely honest. You guys are the only ones who know. But you did buy the car, and (gathering from a couple posts from this thread) you didn’t buy it sight unseen. If you’re unsure about something mechanically, and not completely confident in your own ability to recognize a problem, bring your dad or a friend with some wrench time with you to look at it. I feel for you dude, I bought my second car from a guy I’d never met and never will again and it self-destructed in a matter of months. Looking back, though, if I had paid a little more attention or done a more thorough job researching and inspecting the car when I saw it – instead of getting all giggly about buying a new car – I could’ve saved myself a lot of money and trouble.
So, whatever happened, you’ve got the car now. Fix what’s wrong, and be more careful.

</sermon>

well, i think that pretty much wraps it up...