PDA

View Full Version : Help with "Wheel Hop"

Site
09-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Hey, this is Justin, Site's friend - he's lettin me use his login. I've got a 4th gen with some suspension problems and he said you guys are very good with suspension. So here's what's going on - I hope you can help!

When I take off normaly I lose traction. I Have 17 x 8 in. Konig Toxins with Daytonas 235/40 R17. Tiers are probably 3 years old w/ lots of tred. Matrix coilovers, 2IN drop in front and 1.75 in back stock struts(yes they are blowen and I know that I need aftermarket struts) Stock clutch, two upper strut tower bars( so far those two strut bars have mad my car handle very well.On a scale 1-10. I give it a 10. Its the cheapest and easyest thing to up grade on your car. Its like owning a ugo w/ ferrari handleing) Well thats all I have on my car if you can help that would be great.

Thanks

Jims 86LXI HB
09-27-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Site
Hey, this is Justin, Site's friend - he's lettin me use his login. I've got a 4th gen with some suspension problems and he said you guys are very good with suspension. So here's what's going on - I hope you can help!

When I take off normaly I lose traction. I Have 17 x 8 in. Konig Toxins with Daytonas 235/40 R17. Tiers are probably 3 years old w/ lots of tred. Matrix coilovers, 2IN drop in front and 1.75 in back stock struts(yes they are blowen and I know that I need aftermarket struts) Stock clutch, two upper strut tower bars( so far those two strut bars have mad my car handle very well.On a scale 1-10. I give it a 10. Its the cheapest and easyest thing to up grade on your car. Its like owning a ugo w/ ferrari handleing) Well thats all I have on my car if you can help that would be great.

Thanks

The cause of the problem is the struts. Either invest in some KYB AGX's or Koni sport's. That will solve you wheel hop and let you apply more power. Plus it will kill the bounce you have as well and the car will feel totally transformed in the way it rides and drives, worth every penny.

How on earth are you running 235's?:eek:
I would really really like to see pics of them on your car

pearldrop
09-27-2002, 09:28 AM
Another big cause of wheel hop are bad motor mounts. If they are still fine, consider getting polyurethane bushings for them. That solves most people's problems with wheel hop.

Justanothermike
09-27-2002, 09:52 AM
They don't make urathane motor mounts. they only make the front and rear torque mount insterts. These will keep your engine from wanting to jump out of the car when u launch or shift hard. Wut will keep you wheels from hopping at the launch and from( i dunno how to say this) "jiggling" violently when u shift hard are urathane RADIUS ROD bushings and lower control arm bushings. they will keep your wheels/hub stationed in one spot. It will greatly increase turn in feel as well. makes the front suspension much more solid.

oh and u can probably fit 235s but with some rubbing i would think. we fit 225s on no problem

Site
09-27-2002, 10:22 AM
The front was no prob, rubs just a little when I turn to the right, but the back used to rub lots. Then I used your "how to" info and rolled the back fender. Now the back doesn't rub - only when I have people in the back.

Thx for all your replies!

Here's some pics of my car:

Site
09-27-2002, 10:23 AM
Another:

Site
09-27-2002, 10:23 AM
Another

Site
09-27-2002, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know some good places to buy struts and stuff?

anchovies
09-27-2002, 09:35 PM
good places to buy suspension stuff?? mmmm internet...:D vague answer to a vague question
try tirerack, nopionline, digitalracer, coximport,
also check out groupbuycenter

oh yeah...most importantly ebay
hth

Jims 86LXI HB
09-27-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Site
Does anyone know some good places to buy struts and stuff?

Yes:smokin:

www.shox.com FILL OUT THEIR FORM FOR A EMAIL QUOTE.
www.tirerack.com
www.optauto.com
www.nopionline.com
www.fastfours.com

Is this for a 3rd gen or a 4th gen?