PDA

View Full Version : Autox

russiankid
02-09-2009, 04:16 PM
After having my first experience in car at an autox event, I am hooked. I am going to be taking my 3gee to the next autox event in March.

Reason for this thread is I need some tips. As many of you know the stock 3gee seats are pretty crappy on keeping you saddled in. So any tips on how to keep myself planted?

I am going to get new tires before I run because my current ones are....ok well lets not go there. I will also be gutting the trunk and taking the rear seats out.

2oodoor
02-09-2009, 04:32 PM
seat would be fine with a five point harness, I am surprized they did not require one there.

BITESIZE
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
^I agree, and put your foot on the oh shit pedal. And suck your fingers and hands to the steering wheel.

paul
02-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Try the cg-lock or another seat belt tensioner, it'll work wonders.

I'm not too familiar with 3g suspension settings, but a performance front alignment with as some neg camber and as much caster as possible will help get rid of some understeer.

russiankid
02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I am not looking to really win. I just want to have some fun with the car. How would I install a 5-point harness in a stock seat?

Bitesize- I hope I don't rip the steering wheel out.

Paul- What is cg-lock?

russiankid
02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Dp.

2ndGenGuy
02-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Some seats with good bolsters would help keep you in the seat. I hear the 3g Prelude seats have adjustable bolsters. If not good enough, look for an aftermarket seat. The CG Lock I'm pretty sure is that little clip that holds the seat belt from sliding in the buckle so it doesn't adjust. That way you can tighten it down and hold yourself against the seat. The free solution is to just twist the belt around when you buckle it in.

I wouldn't worry so much about taking your rear seats out. You won't notice anything except excessive road noise. Unless you're planning on gutting and caging the car... Best off putting your effort towards suspension, wheels and tires.

If you go modding the suspension, I think you'd be happiest with swaybars before shocks / springs. My car still body rolls like a motherfucker with stock swaybars and the Koni / Eibach setup. Body roll kills you in the slaloms especially.

russiankid
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
This will be my first time so I am not going all out with a cage and all. My car has LX-i front and rear sway bars which are sort of an upgrade from the stock LX ones. So I have two options of tightening the belt down. which is good. If that doesn't work I'll deff need to look for different seats.

As far as suspension goes I have all new bushings(Moog up front, Honda in rear), with all new ball joints, except the lower ones, and new rack and pinion.

cubert
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't worry so much about taking your rear seats out. You won't notice anything except excessive road noise. Unless you're planning on gutting and caging the car... Best off putting your effort towards suspension, wheels and tires.

I second this...I rode in my buddies 240 today that he stripped out...it was like riding in a tin can

86AccordLxi
02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't worry about mods, just go drive.

Do a cg-lock, and maybe prelude seats if you want an oem upgrade.

russiankid
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I second this...I rode in my buddies 240 today that he stripped out...it was like riding in a tin can
I drove around with just a drivers seat and dash board before.:cool:

Don't worry about mods, just go drive.

Do a cg-lock, and maybe prelude seats if you want an oem upgrade.

Where can I get a cg-lock? I am not looking for upgrades as I just want to have some fun.

86AccordLxi
02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
seat would be fine with a five point harness, I am surprized they did not require one there.

Autocross never requires harnesses.

86AccordLxi
02-09-2009, 05:55 PM
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=cg-lock

russiankid
02-09-2009, 05:58 PM

:hmph::uh:

cubert
02-09-2009, 06:01 PM

:lol:

so bad, but so funny....

Rendon LX-i
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
to keep planted i recommend 3g lude seats. SO easy to install just swap out accord rails and bam you have seats with adjustable blosters...i just put mine on 2 days ago WOW...very cuffy and i was doing corners without sliding around. Also get endlinks and bushings for front. Go with a Vigor rear and energy suspension bushings also i think you should be good in my opinion.

russiankid
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I am not going all out racing yet. I just want to get the hang of it on stock suspension but the seats came to mind first.

2oodoor
02-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Autocross never requires harnesses.

i would want one, they are easy to install
I want to stay in the seat, it lets you push the car harder.

2ndGenGuy
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Ah ha ha! Awesome! Now we just need a 3geez version of that for the forum.

86AccordLxi
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
i would want one, they are easy to install
I want to stay in the seat, it lets you push the car harder.

That's why fixed buckets exist ;)

I have sparco evo2 and it's the jam.

KENLUDE97
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Hello there, Glad that you enjoyed Solo'ing your car, be carefull its addicting ;) I've been soloing for...8 years. What a blast.

One of the biggest things that you can do is have a "instructor" ride with you, its just generally just one of there senior members, but you will be suprised how much of a difference it can make. And Seat time, seat time, seat time. If you wanna go fast you will have to re-learn to drive. But thats part of the fun :)

The easiest and cheapest way to keep your but in its place is the CG lock, like others have mentioned.
http://soloracerdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/cglock.html

Tires... This is a LOADED question. But what i have ran in the STX class in my 97 Lude are the Falken 615's. I have raced on Dunlop 9000's (old tire) Kumho 712 (old tire) and then i went to Falkens and have not left, and that was 4 sets of tires ago. The big "problem" is that they don't last too long, I drove 40miles per day (when i was DD the car) and 9 solos i wore out a set of tires. But you have to pay to play.

Tire links
My favorite
http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi?stock=601&f=azenis_rt615_t.htm

Another decent tire
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S2&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=96VR4Z212&fromCompare1=yes&place=0&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=S

Those are the cheap tires is in "your" size.

Good luck any questions PLEASE let me know.

Later
Ken:cool:

Oh and don't gut the backseat! Learn to drive it will make all the difference, and besides the back seats don't weight that much.

MessyHonda
02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
i want to try it someday but i also have to daily drive my car...my tires are not even one year old and they show some wear sign

russiankid
02-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I am getting new tires and doing this afterwards. Thanks for the info KENLUDE. Those tires you linked aren't available in 185/70/13. The car isn't a DD, its mainly a back up car, but why not have some fun with it.

KENLUDE97
02-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Oh i didn't know that you were on the 13's. I looked up tires for my 89 LXi (14's) and they offered the tires that i linked, if at all possible i would SOOOO get another set of rims and throw a set of those tires on it, and you will be AMAZED how much of a difference it will make! Even a set of steel rims from the JY would be just fine and dirt cheap.

I looked up that size at Tirerack and there is nothing for "racing" in that size...

If the car is in a good maintained shape you will not hurt the car at all with Soloing it. Like i said i have 8 yrs of Solo work on my prelude, and i DD it for much of its life and it never messed it its reliability. And now with 140,000 miles, if it does not sell before the season starts again i will toss a new set of tires on it and Solo it again this year.

Have fun!

Civic Accord Honda
02-19-2009, 12:46 AM
that... is..... awesome! :lol: :lol:

Oh i didn't know that you were on the 13's. I looked up tires for my 89 LXi (14's) and they offered the tires that i linked, if at all possible i would SOOOO get another set of rims and throw a set of those tires on it, and you will be AMAZED how much of a difference it will make! Even a set of steel rims from the JY would be just fine and dirt cheap.

I looked up that size at Tirerack and there is nothing for "racing" in that size...

If the car is in a good maintained shape you will not hurt the car at all with Soloing it. Like i said i have 8 yrs of Solo work on my prelude, and i DD it for much of its life and it never messed it its reliability. And now with 140,000 miles, if it does not sell before the season starts again i will toss a new set of tires on it and Solo it again this year.

Have fun!

yeah a set of bigger wheels should also help with the handleing also

turabaka
02-19-2009, 01:13 AM
How do you guys feel about fixed back racing seats? I have the opportunity to pick up a FX1 Corbeau seat for 200 bucks. I'm not worried about getting into the back seat since I'll be keeping the stock passenger seat, but I am curious how comfy they are in a daily driven car, and to know if anyone else is doing the same thing.

edit: here's the seat. http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_back_seats/fx1_pro/

86AccordLxi
02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Love mine.

You need to sit in it before you can decide. Every bucket feels a bit different.

I"m not a huge fan of corbeaus (corblows) b/c they usually have very firm padding and just don't fit me well. Plus they seem to wear pretty quick.

KENLUDE97
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
If you plan on staying in a stock class a fixed racing seat is not allowed.

I personally would not put in a fixed seat, i have sat in a few and HATED them. When i build my Locost i will be using a adjustable seat. So that when i take it on a "longer" drive it will still be comfortable, and then others can drive the car if they are worthy ;)

Good luck.

lostforawhile
02-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I would replace the wheel studs with ARP ones, they take a lot of stress doing that, make sure your wheel bearings are ok, things like that,anything that is heavily stressed in side loading. I have known a number of people who have broken their stock wheel studs off competing.

86AccordLxi
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
If you plan on staying in a stock class a fixed racing seat is not allowed.

I personally would not put in a fixed seat, i have sat in a few and HATED them. When i build my Locost i will be using a adjustable seat. So that when i take it on a "longer" drive it will still be comfortable, and then others can drive the car if they are worthy ;)

Good luck.

And since my car is in SM already what with metal bushings everywhere and a motor swap, it wasn't an issue ;)

I've gone on 5-6 hour trips in my seat with no problem.

You just need to try a few before you buy.

KENLUDE97
02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
You just need to try a few before you buy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TOTALLY agree. I'm having a hard time finding someone with a Corbeau A4's for me to sit in to make sure that i like them for my build...

Lostforawile - I've NEVER broken a stud? I've got 8 years of Solo work on the fronts, the rears have been replaced but only because the bearings went... Granted i'm not on Slicks with high HP.... But just make sure that your car is in good working order and you will be all set :)

86AccordLxi
02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
bobafett on here has corblow a4s in his accord.

I hate them.

They are too hard, don't hold that well and generally aren't comfortable.

Just imo.

KENLUDE97
02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Well part of the issue for me is that i only have ~18" of width in the area for the seat. The car will also have a 5point harness so i will not be relying on them completly to hold me in the seat the harness's will help with that.

Car the seats would go in.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/KENLUDE97/Locost/mc7_442-1-25-1.jpg

Wheres bobafett located?

86AccordLxi
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Southern Washington (state)

KENLUDE97
02-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Humm thanks, that is not going to help me at ALL. lol I just sent him a PM asking how he likes them. I'm use to a harder seat the ludes seats are not what i would call soft, and if i was going on a long haul a small piece of high density foam can easly be placed between me and the seat for added comfort. But now that we are COMPLELTY off topic...

86AccordLxi
02-19-2009, 10:46 AM
The price was right, and he had them left over from another project.

I don't think he's thrilled with them, either.