PDA

View Full Version : strange noise

zigzag
02-10-2009, 06:27 AM
the rod and main bearings have been replaced.... it sounded like a real bad exhaust leak before.. when the bearings were replaced it was quiet and smooth.... now after 1 1/2 weeks the noise has come back but not as bad.... im thinking maybe the oil pump is going out and there isn't a sufficient amount of oil pressure which may cause the noise.... but im not completely sure.

there is no knocking that i hear and a friend of mine told me the gaping for the bearings may be wrong and is causing the bearings to shake a bit.

if anyone might have a clue as to what this problem is please enlighten me.. i would like to get this problem fixed before it leads to other unwanted problems. thanks.

-zigzag

zigzag
02-14-2009, 05:38 AM
anyone? the problem still persists.... im afraid to install the new carb..

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm assuming you did the bearing work. How careful were you replacing them? Did you plastigage? Did you torque everything carefully? Did you get everything back in the same location it started or did the parts get swapped around? Lots of questions...

AZmike
02-14-2009, 07:57 AM
How did the crank journals look?

Oldblueaccord
02-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Get your oil pressure checked best thing to look at from the outside.

Could just be an exhaust leak like your thinking. Look for black soot around and exhaust parts/joints.

wp

zigzag
02-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm assuming you did the bearing work. How careful were you replacing them? Did you plastigage? Did you torque everything carefully? Did you get everything back in the same location it started or did the parts get swapped around? Lots of questions...

a friend of mine did the work and everything was in its place and torqued down like it should be.... i dont think he plastigage the bearings though.. would that affect the bearings in a bad way? i thought they just snapped in.... can i go back and plastigage the bearings if necessary, or is it too late? as far as i know he replaced them one at a time and put everything back in its original place. i do have a slight oil leak coming from the pan itself but i can fix that with some sealant and tighten the oil pan bolts down some more.

is there a way to do an oil pressure test myself or do i have to take it to a shop?

russiankid
02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Plastigage is used to measure the clearance between the bearing and crank to make sure its not to small or to big. It may be to late now.

zigzag
02-15-2009, 08:28 AM
will it cause significant damage? or just the noise?

russiankid
02-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Well if the bearings are within spec then I don't see how they would make noise unless you lack oil pressure. Have your mechanic check the oil pressure before you tear everything apart again.

Oldblueaccord
02-15-2009, 09:23 AM
a friend of mine did the work and everything was in its place and torqued down like it should be.... i dont think he plastigage the bearings though.. would that affect the bearings in a bad way? i thought they just snapped in.... can i go back and plastigage the bearings if necessary, or is it too late? as far as i know he replaced them one at a time and put everything back in its original place. i do have a slight oil leak coming from the pan itself but i can fix that with some sealant and tighten the oil pan bolts down some more.

is there a way to do an oil pressure test myself or do i have to take it to a shop?

You can use the port on the oil filter housing and test it there. Thats where I have my guage set. There may be another place on the block to check it.

wp

Dr_Snooz
02-15-2009, 09:45 AM
will it cause significant damage? or just the noise?

Both unfortunately.

zigzag
02-15-2009, 02:05 PM
well then if it is just oil pressure then i should be safe just fix the problem right?

russiankid
02-15-2009, 02:51 PM
If there isn't any damage to the bearings than you're fine.

zigzag
02-15-2009, 03:02 PM
the noise hasn't gotten any louder and there is no knocking or loss of power.. i had another mechanic i know take a look at the noise and he said i shouldn't worry too much im just going to have to live with the noise.

if i can raise the oil pressure then will the noise stop?

Oldblueaccord
02-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Well what low oil pressure means is your bearings are bad is what I am getting at. The bearings tolerance dictate your oil pressure or lack of. So that means if your bearing clearances are very loose you will not have much oil pressure.

There may be a way to increase the oil pressure by messing with the pressure relief valve. I have no idea if that works on a Honda. It will not fix bad bearings just buy you sometime. You can also try running thicker weight oil but I would be careful with that esp in colder weather.

wp

russiankid
02-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Well what low oil pressure means is your bearings are bad is what I am getting at. The bearings tolerance dictate your oil pressure or lack of. So that means if your bearing clearances are very loose you will not have much oil pressure.

There may be a way to increase the oil pressure by messing with the pressure relief valve. I have no idea if that works on a Honda. It will not fix bad bearings just buy you sometime. You can also try running thicker weight oil but I would be careful with that esp in colder weather.

wp

I was just going to say that. If the noise goes away or isn't as bad with thicker oil, you have oil pressure problems.

zigzag
02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
so then the new bearings will have to be replaced.... again.... god can i net get a damn break!!!! bad enough i spent most my money getting the damn bearings then owing the guy another $100 still for putting them in.... wtf am i going to do?

russiankid
02-15-2009, 08:39 PM
What you need to do is test your oil pressure. If its fine, then it could be the mechanics fault for not putting in the bearings correctly.

3rd Party
02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
i have a weird noise as well that sounds like metal barely sliding across the surface of another metal object...like rails. but i check my oil pressure daily before cold starting it, and no loss of oil. no oil light, no noticeable oil leaks, no smoke clouds from the exhaust. it's enough to drive a paranoid man crazy hoping his engine doesn't randomly lock up.

zigzag
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
was reading up in the weber thread and the vacuum advance can cause knocking in some motors.... i have noticed that my vacuum advance distributer is broke and just hanging there.... im guessing this is a sign for me to get a new one and hope to hell it stops the knocking....

adapter plate came in the mail the other day. going to pick it up at grandmas tomorrow. i cant wait to get this baby installed.

is there a diagram to show what hooks up where on the carb after i get it installed?

Dr_Snooz
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Can you post a video of the noise? Truth is, it could be just about anything and changing random stuff on the off-chance that it just might fix something is not a good strategy.

zigzag
02-26-2009, 04:32 AM
Can you post a video of the noise? Truth is, it could be just about anything and changing random stuff on the off-chance that it just might fix something is not a good strategy.

i can try to make a video.. but if the vacuum advance distributer is snapped off the distributer cap it does need to be replaced for sure. ill see what i can do about the video today.

zigzag
02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
noise is not loud enough for me to get on my digital cam.... the noise hasn't gotten any louder and my car hasn't lost any power..

got the plates today and im arranging a time to install it all.... i guess next will be a new exhaust system.. wondering if i can get good exhaust flow without that loud annoying noise..