PDA

View Full Version : Popping/Shuttering Near Manifold

86lx-i
02-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I have this weird Popping or Shuttering noise in or around my manifold. if the car sits at idle and then i rev it up just the slightest bit, or rev it up to redline it doesnt matter, it makes this popping sound after that lasts about 5 or 6 seconds. any ideas?

if its the manifold, looks like i'll just have to swap the skunk 2 b18 manifold on:naughty:

Joay
02-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Might at least try changing the gasket before springing for a whole new manifold.
You're talking about the intake, right?

86lx-i
02-11-2009, 07:25 AM
yeah. i've pretty much been upside down with my head in the bay to figure out Exactly were its coming from. i have the b18 manifold. if its the gasket i'll just swap it. is it really that hard? didnt look to bad

Joay
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I've never had to replace one on a CA, but on CB Accords it's a real pain. Not technically difficult, but the lower IM nuts are really hard to get to. I had to use like four extensions with a couple U-joints to get at them, while sitting on top of the engine.

I don't know why it would pop though; that sounds more like an exhaust leak than an vacuum. Does your idle ever surge?

lostforawhile
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I've never had to replace one on a CA, but on CB Accords it's a real pain. Not technically difficult, but the lower IM nuts are really hard to get to. I had to use like four extensions with a couple U-joints to get at them, while sitting on top of the engine.

I don't know why it would pop though; that sounds more like an exhaust leak than an vacuum. Does your idle ever surge?
is this a three g carbed engine? maby the reed valve in the front of the manifold is failing, thats the metal box attached to the tube coming from the exaust manifold, it lets air pulses into the exaust when the computer tells it to. if it's going out,it would make a popping noise

86lx-i
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
is this a three g carbed engine? maby the reed valve in the front of the manifold is failing, thats the metal box attached to the tube coming from the exaust manifold, it lets air pulses into the exaust when the computer tells it to. if it's <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='going out';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://canadasrv.info/?v=4%2E02&ss=going+out">going out</a>,it would make a popping noise

its FI. i'll get a video asap. its such a distinct noise

Demon1024
02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
sounds like backfiring threw the intake to me. check your ign. and valve timing and hope thats the problem

MessyHonda
02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
yeah check the timing...make sure your valves are adjusted