PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs wanted

jamesh23
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
decided i want to lower my car afterall, lol i only have about $50, nd just want the springs, 2.25" hopefully I want a noticable drop but not to where i get high centered easy and ruin my shocks, i dont have enough for new shocks or a camber kit, i just want the springs, thanks guys. pm me if you wanna sell some.

Pico
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
what shocks are in the car right now? if you want to go with a 2.25 drop and the shocks are stock or in a so so condition they are not going to last long and the ride will be crappy as hell.
Just to let you know ahead of time, but it's your car so it's up to you.

ghettogeddy
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
ya i ran on my ebachs 1" drop on the stock shocks and they did not last long at all lol

but its just a bumpy ride lol do what you will lol but your still not really gona find a good spring for 50 bucks lol

bank2me
02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Jamesh buy my damn ebay coilovers dude asap lol.:stick:

Joay
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
If you just want a little drop for no dollars, you could cut the stock springs.
Probably wind up blowing your struts that way, but there's not really a good option for $50.

markmdz89hatch
02-12-2009, 06:33 AM
If you just want a little drop for no dollars, you could cut the stock springs.
Probably wind up blowing your struts that way, but there's not really a good option for $50.

Actually, that's the best bet for keeping your existing shocks as long as possible. If you cut the springs, you're actually going to lower your spring rate a tiny bit, which will allow the shocks to do their job, but just reduce their amount of travel. I would not suggest cutting a full 2.25" off, maybe just like 1.75", but it's really not as bad an option as many make it out to be.

In fact, you're much more unsafe with stupid hard springs on weak shocks. Blown shocks cause accidents. Makes your car sloppy, bouncy, eats up your brakes, and greatly increases your overall stopping distance and lateral roll in turning.

ghettogeddy
02-12-2009, 10:04 AM
can also do the top hat mod if he really really need to drop that far

markmdz89hatch
02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
can also do the top hat mod if he really really need to drop that far

no. The tophat mod does not drop a car in any way shape or form. The tophat mod only allows a tiny bit more travel for the shock, but opens the door for a host of other problems. I would completely discourage this mod unless you're running Civic c/o's up front, or have an EXTREME drop and modify the bump-stop, and use only grade8 hardware, not 5 or anything else. The tophat mod is grossly overused.

ghettogeddy
02-12-2009, 11:24 AM
no. The tophat mod does not drop a car in any way shape or form. The tophat mod only allows a tiny bit more travel for the shock, but opens the door for a host of other problems. I would completely discourage this mod unless you're running Civic c/o's up front, or have an EXTREME drop and modify the bump-stop, and use only grade8 hardware, not 5 or anything else. The tophat mod is grossly overused.

come on im not that fn dumb but it would help make the struts last longer correct

i mean i dont need the mod my self lol and i think ive only seen it done a handful of times lol

and to be honest should be used by the carbed guys a lil more often to allow the use of a front strut bar should help with the clearance issues

kukerdan
02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
dont cut!

If you lower a car, there is alot more to do than just put in shorter springs, it CANT handle better than a car riding at stock high with new struts and springs, You need struts that are approved for that, and you need to adjust the camber , and have your car re aligned for starters

86ccord
02-12-2009, 01:31 PM
dont cut!

If you lower a car, there is alot more to do than just put in shorter springs, it CANT handle better than a car riding at stock high with new struts and springs, You need struts that are approved for that, and you need to adjust the camber , and have your car re aligned for starters

yeah, anytime you do anything with the suspention you HAVE to get an alignment done.. but i agree.. gett better struts before you go and screw you and other ppls car up..

markmdz89hatch
02-12-2009, 01:38 PM
dont cut!

I agree with you and 86. The absolute best 'upgrade' would be to keep bone stock springs, and replace the shocks.

The direction of cut springs is merely the lesser of two evils. It's much safer to run mildly cut springs instead of super stiff aftermarket lowering springs. And you're right, neither option is better than just stock springs at stock height with new struts. Cut springs or lowering springs, and you're absolutely not going to ride better. The only better setup than new stock parts is a properly paired set of aftermarket springs and shocks, or well-built true coil-overs.

Are cut springs unsafe? To an extent yes, because you are cutting some of the tighter (more stiff) coils, which will allow the spring to compress easier. Couple that with the reduced travel, and you'll definitely always need to be aware of even slight/moderate bumps when a corner is loaded from turning. Also, a good bump or high speed dip in the road will bottom the shock out much more easily than an all stock setup.

Obviously camber and alignment are an absolute must anytime you alter your suspension setup.

In the damn near 10 years I've been on this board, and knowing from personal experience, the attraction to a lowered car is great. We all want our cars to look even just a little bit lower. Can it be done right for $50? No. Does it make more sense to dump that $50 on a decent set of new front shocks? Yep. Does that logic register as the right thing to do AND put the lowering on the back-burner? Nope. So moral of the rant is that no matter what logic and proper reasoning should dictate, it is not as powerful as an emotional desire to gain a certain aesthetic. That will always win. So, given that, if someone insists in lowering their car, it's far less unsafe to just cut the springs, rather than getting springs that are WAY to powerful for the worn shocks. Hell, still spend that $50 on new front shocks AND for free, cut the springs.

epic1400cs
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I have done cutting one coil or one and half coil in the past on other cars such as Toyota Levin and if you do it properly it works fine.

Cut either half / one / one and half .... circle from the top/bottom with metal saw and tidy up the edge with metal file. Bend the end by heating up with Acetylene torch (propane is not hot enough) about 2inches from the end so that it sits on the spring seat well. Don't cool it down in a water or the steel will become too hard and may snap when you are doing full-counter drift. You want tidy up the burned paint with sand paper and paint undercoat and top coat.

Tricky bit is how many coils you should cut - it depends on the pitch of the spring and how it is compressed when it is under load. The front OEM spring on our car seems to be very well compressed so you should check it carefully.
If you cut too much, the spring will have a play against damper and it will be a dissastor. So cut it a little bit at a time - means cutting spring mod will not be complete with only one step unfortunately but it is great fun and cheap as hell!

By the way, as far as I remember if you cut spring the spring rate will go up rather than going down - if the spring is linear spring. But if it is variable pitch or progressive then it may be more complex.

ghettogeddy
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
you know i would agree with you all if any of these guys that are lowering are doing it for an actual upgrade lol most of everyone is doing it for a look so its looks lower lol they could give to shits about the upgrade its self just like low rides there no way in hell an alignment will help people with bags or hydro's lol he will get the cheap shit he wants blow his struts out then but the new struts just as i did lol but i wasn't worried about the old crappy shit that was in there at the time lol just want my car lower might not be the smartest thign in the world but it happens 100 times a day

epic1400cs
02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I know what you mean. In a sense it is like sex education - it is important to tell them how to use rubber rather than telling off.

AZmike
02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Cutting any spring, linear or progressive, will increase the spring rate. The resulting spring will be shorter and will have less energy storage capacity. Cutting a small section off a spring should be fine as described above by epic. However cutting off too much will quickly destroy the shocks by both bottoming them out and overworking them with a substantially higher spring rate.

2drSE-i
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Cutting any spring, linear or progressive, will increase the spring rate. The resulting spring will be shorter and will have less energy storage capacity. Cutting a small section off a spring should be fine as described above by epic. However cutting off too much will quickly destroy the shocks by both bottoming them out and overworking them with a substantially higher spring rate.

I was gonna say, fewer the coils the higher the rate, noting that the geometry of the spring coils are the same.

MessyHonda
02-14-2009, 01:25 PM
you can lower the car the cheap way or the right way

-$MOKIN-
02-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I think that im goin to go back with some stock height springs and a decent shock. Due to tire wear , alightnment issues road balancing and experiances of back issues. I think if someone wants to lower there car they need to put all perspectives into view and do all the neccesary things when lowering the car. It can be costly downt eh road if not done right. You can still get the same look on the car by just upping the rim size to make it look liie it sits lower form a distance. IN the mean time it wont mess up my body kit. And in the long run to me just goin back to stock hight is a smarter choice.

cubert
02-14-2009, 04:15 PM
you can lower the car the cheap way or the right way

x2

3rd Party
02-14-2009, 05:56 PM
dude...i don't think i've EVER seen a lowering spring set that cheap...but dude, you get what you pay for. you spend $200 on lowering springs, you get $200 worth of spring. you pay $50 on lowering springs, you get $50 worth of spring. which would you prefer?

epic1400cs
02-15-2009, 12:53 AM
decided i want to lower my car afterall, lol i only have about $50, nd just want the springs, 2.25" hopefully I want a noticable drop but not to where i get high centered easy and ruin my shocks, i dont have enough for new shocks or a camber kit, i just want the springs, thanks guys. pm me if you wanna sell some.
Back to original post, 2.25" for $50 is not good idea.
Spring itself cost more than that plus if you do it with standard shocks, it will bust in a couple of months then you ended up paying for new uprated shocks plus if you don't have tools/skills, you will pay labour cost on top.
For cutting the spring, 2.25" is too much and the spring may play.
Even if not playing, I assume the spring rate will go beyond where standard shock can handle, ended up with busted shock(correct me if anybody has tried it).
Either way, 2.25" drop will shorten the suspension stroke in the front and you will need uprated shocks such as Bilstein re-valved or Koni (not available from shop anymore) or it will bottom out.

My recommendation
1) save up a bit more money to do it properly(1" Eibach, 1.5 Eibach/H&R or 2.25" plus bilstein uprated).
2) cut only a tiny bit of spring but still you should use uprated shocks like Tokico.

b20a86lude
02-15-2009, 01:41 PM
i got some new name blue coilovers for sale

MessyHonda
02-16-2009, 11:43 PM
I think that im goin to go back with some stock height springs and a decent shock. Due to tire wear , alightnment issues road balancing and experiances of back issues. I think if someone wants to lower there car they need to put all perspectives into view and do all the neccesary things when lowering the car. It can be costly downt eh road if not done right. You can still get the same look on the car by just upping the rim size to make it look liie it sits lower form a distance. IN the mean time it wont mess up my body kit. And in the long run to me just goin back to stock hight is a smarter choice.

for me 1.5 inch is enough...i got the prelude arms, new bushings rims and tiers and the almighty alignment....she drives straight