PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys! I'm back!

tedhodges
02-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on here in a very long time! I've had a few 3Gs in the past, but I haven't had one in a few years now. About a year ago I got myself an '87 Acura Legend L Coupe 5-speed (in VERY good shape, bought from the second owner with all records, run synthetic oil its whole live) for $800. Love it, but I needed a 4-door car for my family.

Today I found a 3G that was willing to come to the rescue. It's an '86 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed. Maroon in color (inside and out), 208K on the clock.
Paid $600 for her. Pix to come soon. A few issues:

Idle is off (way off), runs too slow when cold, too fast when warm, and surges. Engine also cuts out when you kick the gas, or let off of it slowly.
I assume that this is a choke issue. Alternator is on its way out, and it needs a new windshield. Other than that the clutch and the brakes are great, the engine runs stong (only seems to struggle idling), steering is great, CV axles are in great shape. A few bumps and bruises on the body, but the paint is close to perfect.

Any of you guys have any input for me on the idling issue?

Good to be back guys!

2drSE-i
02-11-2009, 05:16 AM
The idle could be any number of issues. If the alternator is going out, it could potentially be causing part of the problem as well, affecting the ignition.

3rd Party
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
well...sounds like some sort of ignition issue duder. i mean...unless your car is somehow not pulling the voltage it needs when it's cold, (like below freezing) but when it warms up the problem clears away and the alternator is putting out 14 volts, then yeah...alternator problem. but if you giving the car sudden large amounts of throttle and it's choking...there's definitely problems with timing, maybe a bad plug, wire, distributor...i mean...it's definitely something with the ignition. now i'm assuming it's carb'd? 'cause if so...man those old carb'd cars just don't do well cold...it's not like EFI, i mean...those things are going to have a rough idle in the morning.

AccordEpicenter
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
who r u

tedhodges
02-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Ok so I have a serious question: Is the A20A engine in the 3rd generaion Accord an interferience type engine or not? I've read that it is, and I've read that it isn't. Which is it?

Hauntd ca3
02-12-2009, 12:11 AM
interferance engine :confused:
what do u mean by that?

Nafs Asdf
02-12-2009, 12:13 AM
As in the valves get fucked when the timing belt snaps?

Hauntd ca3
02-12-2009, 12:19 AM
oh that type of interferance motor, my bad
yeah they are, along with most ohc motors
if you dont stuff valves breaking a cam belt, you dam lucky

AccordB20A
02-12-2009, 12:54 AM
A20 motor is not interferance, if the belt brakes your lucky :)

edit: looks like in this thread u have read that it is and it isnt again, im almost certain it isnt ive had my cam pulley come off and it didnt fuck anything.
I put a A18A head on a A20A block however and when turning the crank with no cambelt it did contact, But thats a hybrid motor

Hauntd ca3
02-12-2009, 01:12 AM
was sure they were eh
am positive i've seen one do a belt and bend valves
autos are less prone since the motor stops almost instantly
thats how i got away with it with the b20a
witha manual, diff story