PDA

View Full Version : Broke vacuum advance, need help

LXrocks
02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok so yesterday we tryed adjusting the timing on our accord and it didn't go well. apparintly there are two bolts that need to be loosened before you can adjust the dizzy but we only though there was one (that was what the repair manual said). long story short the vacuum advance ended up breaking off the distributor. our dad wants to try to glue it back to gather with J-B Weld because it looks like a replacement would be $70 or more. will this work? I have used J-B weld stuff before and it is good stuff. we are also going to replace the rotor in the dizzy :D and the cap but is there anything else we should do or replace while we have the distributor removed? also, the inside of the dizzy is covered with red dust which i sseem to remember reading might be the bearing going bad?

Edit: I have pictures that i can post if needed.

2oodoor
02-12-2009, 09:04 AM
where is it broken? depnds on where it is broke before I could say if it could be epoxyed .....you can find those at the junkyard all the time, I would not buy a new one myself esp at that cost.

LXrocks
02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
where is it broken? depnds on where it is broke before I could say if it could be epoxyed .....you can find those at the junkyard all the time, I would not buy a new one myself esp at that cost.

it broke right where it mounts to the dizzy.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/728/1200165db9.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1200165db9.jpg)

2oodoor
02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
it may work then with epoxy or jb weld , as long as the diaphragm isnt damaged and their is physically room for the glue.

AC439
02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, I'd suggest to at least check to see if the vacuum advance will hold a vacuum first. If it is not holding a vacuum, you need another vacuum advance anyway. You have a carb engine, the vacuum advance is about $55. I have a FI but rockauto sold me a vac advance for carb engine and refuse to take any responsibility (see my other thread). But I put it on my car anyway and rerun longer vac lines. It seems working but I know there are different degrees of advancement between a carb and a FI model so make sure you get what is design for your car.

Forrest
02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
While you are messing with the distributor and have it out, replace the (O) ring that is near the end. They get hard and brittle and leak oil. The red dust is an indication of bearing wear. I just replaced my distributor because of it. 1989 Accord, 210,000 miles. Mine had a slight amount of play from side to side in certain positions. The car still ran fine, but wanted to nip it in the bud. I got a rebuilt one from Pep Boys for about $200. It had the vacuum advance, (O) ring and the control module in it. Works fine.