PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove EGR tube

LXrocks
02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I am trying to remove the EGR tube so that i can get a wrench in to loosen the bottum nut for the thermastat housing, but the EGR tube is rusted solid. I even tried a pipe wrench with a pipe on the handle but that didn't work. is there any way to remove the tube without cutting it?

2oodoor
02-13-2009, 08:10 PM
use the correct wrench, try another brand wrench that may offer better angle
you should be able to get the thermostat bolt with 1/4 drive socket set, if not use a goose neck box end, remove the hose from it to get more access, or any thing in that area.

Pico
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
soak it real good with some PB Blaster first.

88Accord-DX
02-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah, you can get the thermostat housing off without pulling the EGR pipe. Use 1/4 extension about 6" & socket.
Most EGR pipes are 27 mm in size at the fitting. PB blaster works sometimes, but more than likely you'll need to heat the outside of the connection where the pipe goes in with a propane torch.

LXrocks
02-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah, you can get the thermostat housing off without pulling the EGR pipe. Use 1/4 extension about 6" & socket.
Most EGR pipes are 27 mm in size at the fitting. PB blaster works sometimes, but more than likely you'll need to heat the outside of the connection where the pipe goes in with a propane torch.don't you have to be carefull of gas fumes?

88Accord-DX
02-14-2009, 12:39 PM
don't you have to be carefull of gas fumes?
Well, if you got enough gas fumes floating around the engine bay to blow up, then you got another issue to fix.

russiankid
02-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Took mine 4 hours of constant PB blaster soaking.

Oldblueaccord
02-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I think the EGR does have to come off for the entire housing to come off?

You may have to saw off the pipe and handle that part of it later.

wp

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I pulled the end that connects to the intake, then took the exhaust manifold off. That's a lot of extra work, though.

LXrocks
02-16-2009, 05:10 AM
fixed it. just had to bang the tube with a hammer to bend it down and out of the way.

3rd Party
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
lets say you were replacing your manifold, couldn't you just go to the extent of removing the piece that bolts to your intake manifold, and just pull the whole exhaust manifold assembly out with the EGR piece still connected?

codyJDM
02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
When I installed my header, it was the biggest pain in the ass I had ever endured in my entire history or wrenching on cars. That EGR tube is the devil. haha. Took me an hour of constant temper-loss to get it loose off the manifold. I used an assortment of extended wrenches and vice grips in conjunction with penetrates to get it off.

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I spent Saturday pulling an engine that ended up being something I couldn't use. I just hacksawed it off. That's pretty easy.