PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start just cranks

NeW3GeEoWnEr
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I got a 89 LX-i that will not turn over, it will just sit and crank. It is getting fuel to the injectors, getting fire, replaced fuel filter, pump, injectors. I am at a loss as of what to do! The only thing that I can maybe think of is that is has jumped time, I don't know if that is possible hence my screen name! The guy that I got it from replaced the intake gasket and some other stuff. Any help would be very much appreciated!

2oodoor
02-13-2009, 08:06 PM
why did he replace the intake gasket? kind of odd for these I think, not like American cars that eat them for breakfast
try looking at the spark plugs themselves, and check the valve timing while you have those out-you can turn the motor over by hand.

AZmike
02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Is the cam turning when the starter turns the crank? It's not uncommon for the crank to take off a few teeth off an old timing belt.

How did you verify fuel flow?

syclinsam
02-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Check the main relay. Search the site to get the skinny on what to look for when it goes. I had the same problem with my 86 lxi. Crank and crank wouldn't fire. Had fuel flow all the way through the fuel rail, but wouldn't fire. I went through all sorts of things before I stumbled on the main relay problem through this site. I pulled the main relay out and took it to an auto electrician and he fixed it for free. If you are handy with a circuit board and solder gun you can do it yourself.

The relay gets a "dry socket" that breaks the circuit to the fuel pump. Fuel would squirt through while it was cranking but the fuel pump doesn't get the signal to continue.

easy fix if thats your issue

A18A
02-21-2009, 06:30 AM
did you get the car like that or did it just all of a sudden not start? sounds like a snapped cam belt to me. it's possible that the firing order might be out too (which is supposed to be 1-3-4-2) I once spent a whole day trying to get my car to start when it had spark, fuel, good compression & valve timing, but the firing order was wrong lol

Tdurr
02-21-2009, 09:39 PM
dude. I just went through the same thing, cpt i was pulling in my drive way and the front end bottomed out and a few seconds later it died.... 4 hours later i got it running. Check the Spark via screwdriver in a plug wire, fuel(prob can smell it) and jab the main relay with a screwdriver a few good times.
Try that....

w261w261
02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, maybe it's the main relay and maybe it isn't. But here's a thread I started about it. In retrospect, now that I know it's not a big deal to drop the fuse block, I probably should have done it that way.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61773&highlight=main+relay

And, motivated by my experience with not getting enough swing on the ratchet to move the socket, I bought this Husky tool, which cranks from the handle in addition to ratcheting. Haven't used it seriously yet, but I'm very comforted knowing it's in there, waiting....... (confessions of a tool junkie).

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62698&highlight=husky

MessyHonda
02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
check the battery....i had a bad battery and my car would take forever to start..now i got a orbital batt witch is like the optima only its from napa and it cranks up fine

-$MOKIN-
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Dude its not 1342 is it? Its 1234 from dist.

BITESIZE
02-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Dude its not 1342 is it? Its 1234 from dist.

1342 is fire order. 4321 from distributor.

2oodoor
02-24-2009, 07:11 AM
just remember to count from right to left, number 1 being far to the right by the crank pulley

POS carb
02-25-2009, 06:26 AM
1342 is fire order. 4321 from distributor.

just remember to count from right to left, number 1 being far to the right by the crank pulley

oh no not again! :toilet:

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/05/f3/a7//medium/0900c1528005f3a7.gif

NeW3GeEoWnEr
03-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the help guys it was the ICM but now I have another problem I have spark and fuel coming to the fuel rail but injectors are not spraying which in turn will not start.......HELP I am at the end of my rope with this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NeW3GeEoWnEr
03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Forgot to mention that I have replaced the main relay and injectors!!!!!!!!!!!!!AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Civic Accord Honda
03-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I once spent a whole day trying to get my car to start when it had spark, fuel, good compression & valve timing, but the firing order was wrong lol same

NeW3GeEoWnEr
03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Firing order is right that is the first thing I checked, I know there is supposed to be a ground for the ECM but I cannot find it! Any thoughts?:burn:

LX-incredible
03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Unplug the white 2 wire connector the TW sensor and try to start. It is located on the thermostat housing, which the upper radiator hose connects to. If it starts, you have a faulty sensor.

Also try kinking the return hose that comes off the drivers side of the fuel rail while starting. This will cause a rise in fuel pressure that may be much too low because of a bad fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump.

What work have you done to it?

The ground for the ECM is on the drivers side of the intake manifold, under the fuel rail. There is four wires going to it, 2 blacks, a brown/black, and a black/red. There is also a ground under the seat to one of the ECU bracket bolts, it is black.

Dr_Snooz
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
What were you doing when this started?