PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt engine

SFCA1987lx
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Looks as though I need a new/rebuilt engine. Anyone toss me some ballparks on cost and installation?

Pico
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
depends on what you want done, I spent almost 1000.00 at the machine shop to have my block and head done, the machine shop supplied the pistons and rings, I bought the other parts myself. I did the install myself with some friends

SFCA1987lx
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Well, I'll find out in more detail today what exactly is wrong, but I know that in basics I need a whole new/rebuilt engine. I can't do that myself either.

lostforawhile
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Well, I'll find out in more detail today what exactly is wrong, but I know that in basics I need a whole new/rebuilt engine. I can't do that myself either.you can't pull a decent running engine from a yard? they are out there if you look, find one,replace all the gaskets,timing belt,water pump etc, and you 'll probably be good for a while

SFCA1987lx
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, first off, for some reason, in my looking, there aren't a lot of pick and pull type junk yards around my area. But, secondly, brighter news is here! Kinda. It's the cam shaft. Apparently a bolt came loose and so did the whole thing. Much cheaper. Still sucks, and still expensive, but better.

Pico
02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, first off, for some reason, in my looking, there aren't a lot of pick and pull type junk yards around my area. But, secondly, brighter news is here! Kinda. It's the cam shaft. Apparently a bolt came loose and so did the whole thing. Much cheaper. Still sucks, and still expensive, but better.

you have pick n pull in oakland, san jose and fairfield.
Hell we can even try to get together a pick n pull day with some of the local members and go yard hunting

greentee76
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Probably get everthing to fix that at the pick n pull for $40.

Tomisimo
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Hell we can even try to get together a pick n pull day with some of the local members and go yard hunting

and why a my living here? Thats my favorite part there, to go hunting :D

3rd Party
02-18-2009, 11:06 PM
IMO it really depends on what you're going for...'cause simply going to the junk yard and doing a complete gasket kit on a motor'll suffice. but for some, when time comes to rebuild it's an excuse to build that high compression N/A super motor, or turbo motor they've been wanting a reason to build.

lostforawhile
02-19-2009, 07:22 AM
make sure if it ate the cam that you pull the oil pan and get any chunks out that are down in there,other then that,easy fix.

-$MOKIN-
02-19-2009, 07:53 AM
I got a used motor out of a 87 lxi last time i did a motor swap.It had only 110,000 miles for 75 bucks from the foriegn auto salvage in northern kentucky. Then i did all the change over of parts form one motor to the other and the swap myself and a little hlep from my brother. I have done 3 engien swaps on a 3 gee. Actually for every 3 gee i have had i did a motor swap. Its real easy to do. You need to find the lowest mile a20 you can find.No matter the year. Then when you get it home change all the brackets intake and exhaust manifold, thermo housing and wiring from your old motor

-$MOKIN-
02-19-2009, 07:59 AM

Damn i wish i lived in cali . And had all of you guys around me. I feel like the only 3 geer in my area. It sorta sucks to be the only guy around that has a 3rd gen and messes with it. Maybe il drive mine out and start a new life back in cali. It would just be cool to go to have like 10 dudes there that know what you are tlakin about and ppl who hve the desire to work on this car.

Tomisimo
02-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Damn i wish i lived in cali . And had all of you guys around me. I feel like the only 3 geer in my area. It sorta sucks to be the only guy around that has a 3rd gen and messes with it. Maybe il drive mine out and start a new life back in cali. It would just be cool to go to have like 10 dudes there that know what you are tlakin about and ppl who hve the desire to work on this car.

I know what you talking about, I think I\m the only guy in Norway that owns 3Gee and modify it.. its so boring, I had one in another town, but he both him self a Civic Coupe, he gone to the rice side, so now I\m alone here..

lostforawhile
02-19-2009, 09:11 AM
I got a used motor out of a 87 lxi last time i did a motor swap.It had only 110,000 miles for 75 bucks from the foriegn auto salvage in northern kentucky. Then i did all the change over of parts form one motor to the other and the swap myself and a little hlep from my brother. I have done 3 engien swaps on a 3 gee. Actually for every 3 gee i have had i did a motor swap. Its real easy to do. You need to find the lowest mile a20 you can find.No matter the year. Then when you get it home change all the brackets intake and exhaust manifold, thermo housing and wiring from your old motor

I would do the timing belt and a head gasket while it's off of the car, cheap insurance and easy while it's out. lots of times people junk them for head gaskets, they think the engine is ruined or something, when it's not that bad of a job.

-$MOKIN-
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Yep might as well do it too. Depending on how many miles the motor has on it.And if you want to throw more money into it. If its out and your goin to take the head off , then you might as well turn it over and do crankshaft bearings and put rings on it for a couple hundo more.