PDA

View Full Version : Rear Torque Rod ?

AC439
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
When I took apart the intake air ducts to get access to the throttle body and changed out the o-ring on the idle adjusting needle today, I noticed there is a rod connecting between the firewall and the engine. It looks like a bone about 1 ft long with two round holes at the end with rubber bushings inside.

I noticed the side on the engine has lots of play. I can basically grab the rod and move it up and down (on the engine side) and the play is probably about 1/4". I searched 3geez and also looked at the FSM and nothing mentioned about checking it. From the manual, it is called "Rear Torque Rod".

I'm not sure if this is normal to have play like this. I'm still battling the 75mph shaking issue although it has been greatly reduced after changing both front UCA/balljoints.

Can anybody share the experience with this rod? Can the bushing be changed ?

Thanks.- AC

ZeroLux
02-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Mine does the same thing, I was under the impression that it is a motor mount of sorts and I blame it for most of my transmission-going-into-reverse slams. Looks like a real pita to replace tbh. Have not investigated replacement parts or bushings yet.

Zero

3rd Party
02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
yeah, i'd look into polyurethane bushings...those things have NO play, haha

turabaka
02-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I replaced the bushing in mine and it still has some play in it. I'd say it's normal.

3rd Party
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
they make polyurethane bushings for the wishbone mount???

cygnus x-1
02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
The dog bone mounts always seem to have a lot of play in them, which I think kinda sucks. Here's what I did. Remove the bolt and pull out the bushing. Wrap liberally with duct tape until it's a snug fit into the arm. Reinstall.

It's crude but it works surprisingly well. Credit goes to Rjudgey for this fix.

C|

turabaka
02-18-2009, 02:31 PM
they make polyurethane bushings for the wishbone mount???

nope. I meant I replaced it with a stock one.

AC439
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
The dog bone mounts always seem to have a lot of play in them, which I think kinda sucks. Here's what I did. Remove the bolt and pull out the bushing. Wrap liberally with duct tape until it's a snug fit into the arm. Reinstall.

C|

WOW !!!! Never thought of that !!!

I sort of understood that the play (or course, not a lot of play) is to allow the engine some room for "twisting".

So, my question is should there be no play or very little play ?

lostforawhile
02-18-2009, 02:41 PM
I replaced the big end with a solid aluminum piece and a steel insert for the bolt, and left the small one intact. with a factory bushing. makes a huge difference and the motor can still move a little as needed. can't move nearly as much though.

AC439
02-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I replaced the big end with a solid aluminum piece and a steel insert for the bolt, and left the small one intact. with a factory bushing. makes a huge difference and the motor can still move a little as needed. can't move nearly as much though.

Good idea ! So there is no rubber for cushioning/dampening vibration at all at the big end ?

lostforawhile
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Good idea ! So there is no rubber for cushioning/dampening vibration at all at the big end ?just at the small end,it's still enough of a movement so the engine doesn't break anything but it takes out a lot of it
if your dog bone is really badly worn,i'm sure it contributes to the engine rocking a lot,which wears on the motor mounts.

3rd Party
02-18-2009, 06:40 PM

C|

dude, you're on a role, you've got all sorts of good ideas! you sir get one free internet! +1 to you!!

AC439
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Ok, so I went to Lowes and got a strip of rubber like material that is used to line the wall for bath tub installation. Took out the bushing (engine side) from the dog bone and wrap the bushing with it to a snug fit and put it back.

I don't notice much difference. I think this is because I have lots of worn rubber parts so there are lots of vibrations here and there. Anyway, I keep driving the car for a few more days so I'll probably know more after that.

Thanks for the replies. -AC

AccordB20A
02-24-2009, 12:25 PM
i filled mine with a tube of urethane that solidised it up

POS carb
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
The torque strut (dogbone ) will have side-to-side play but should have no front-to-back play, even with new bushings

Rendon LX-i
02-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Or just get window weld and fill your stock mounts up and BAM your done...i did it to my front one and my dog bone...what a difference

MessyHonda
02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54956

i like that one or the window weld.