PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using NPG coolant?

Dr_Snooz
02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm having trouble disposing of old coolant so I'm thinking that the next time I do a flush, I'll replace the coolant with Evan's NPG+ waterless coolant (http://www.evanscooling.com/catalog/C_npg1.htm). It's supposed to last forever and requires no water. I have to remove every last trace of the old coolant before using it and i'm not sure how that's going to pan out.

Anyway, has anyone used it? What do you think of it? Any thoughts or suggestions for removing the old coolant effectively? I'm thinking I'll jam the hose in the block and run the car for a few but am not sure.

Thanks!

DBMaster
02-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I switched to extended life coolant about twelve years ago. Since I have had to replace various hoses, the radiator, and water pump (when changing the timing belt) in the interim I have not really had to "change" the coolant in that length of time. The job I just performed changing all the little coolant hoses dumped about a third of the coolant everywhere so I guess I just "changed" some of it recently.

Sorry that didn't answer your question! I am just rambling, I suppose. I also only use water from my reverse osmosis system so it is virtually mineral free. You can get enough of the old coolant out - if you are so inclined - by draining the radiator and block, refilling with mineral free water, running the engine, and then draining again. That gets it plenty clean.

86AccordLxi
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
NPG is supposed to be teh shit.

I have a friend who uses it in his 430whp 350z and swears by it. They sell some sort of flush, I think, to prepare your cooling system, so you might try that.

3rd Party
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
this actually sounds really cool, hopefully if someone gets around to doing it they'll do a write up on it! :flash:

86AccordLxi
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
$28 for the prep fluid and $32/gallon for the coolant.

Figure that's going to be $100 buy-in.

Don't think many 3geezers will jump on this, and honestly, it's probably overkill. For a turbo car with a watercooled turbo making decent power I can see it -- for n/a a20 seems not worth it.

3rd Party
02-19-2009, 12:21 AM

Don't think many 3geezers will jump on this, and honestly, it's probably overkill. For a turbo car with a watercooled turbo making decent power I can see it -- for n/a a20 seems not worth it.

that's a damn good point

LX-incredible
02-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I wonder how the heat transfer compares to a 50/50 mix. Sure 100% antifreeze is going to have a higher boiling temp, but it won't cool for shit. Best heat transfer used to be with pure water. I wonder what makes this stuff different.

86AccordLxi
02-19-2009, 12:53 AM
They make it from win.

Dr_Snooz
03-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Not sure about the $100 buy in. A gallon of the coolant is $30. The special cleaner is not required. And it's the last you deal with it for the next 10 or so years until one of your bypass hoses fails. No coolant all over the driveway. No trying to figure out how to get rid of the stuff. You recoup your investment in the first three years, so it sounds very reasonable to me.

DBMaster
03-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Since I have been into thre cooling system at least once every year or two I end up replacing about half the coolant every time. I started using the "regular" extended life stuff years ago. I mix it 50/50 with water from my reverse osmosis system. I have basically not "changed" the coolant in possibly ten years. It is still very clean and after changing out all the little bypass hoses I saw no unusual corrosion. I am not sure if it's worth the money to go beyond the "Dex Cool" type coolant. Anything else might be overkill.