PDA

View Full Version : 87 accord hatch taillights

3rdGenNewbie
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
its killin me... :rant: ..i cant find my darn car at any of the junk yards around here. all i wana do is replace my taillights....now the originals arent broke or anything theyre jus old and startin to crack...ya know. ive been lookin for aftermarket and now i know that they dont make aftermarket and its damn hard to find a clean set for sale if any at all... what im wonerdin is, is there a way to take them apart and fix those lil cracks maybe some kinda clear sumthing or other that i could buff to a shine......and/or in the diy section someone posted how to clear out your lights but, that process was not for the hatchback. are we able to use that same process for the hatchback? if anyone has any sugestions that would be great.....thankz:ugh:

89sei89dx
02-21-2009, 06:23 PM
u can do the same thing for the hatch but it will not look the same . but i think it looks good on the hatch. ive seen pics, but havnt done it. i tried the trick with boiling up some water and pouring it over the glue on the lights and it came appart but u got to b careful. i was thinkin bout doing it and gettin some plexiglass and bending it to the shape. cause mine are old and crack lookin too. u could also take the glass off and pull off the inside colored glass and modify it with some trailer lights from wall mart or somthin, and make it look how u like, then put the glass back on. and then u got custom lights

lostforawhile
02-21-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't have the link in front of me, but if you search on the civic sites, there is a way to clear the lexan headlights on the civics, it involves wet and dry sandpaper starting from 800 up to 1500 grit, finished off with plastX from meguiriars. this will clear up a cloudy lexan headlight, and will clear up the cloudiness in the taillights the same way. if anyone has the lin post it up. both of these have the same plastic material.

Civic Accord Honda
02-21-2009, 06:37 PM
nightshade them then the cracks will be barely noticeable

Civic Accord Honda
02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't have the link in front of me, but if you search on the civic sites, there is a way to clear the lexan headlights on the civics, it involves wet and dry sandpaper starting from 800 up to 1500 grit, finished off with plastX from meguiriars. this will clear up a cloudy lexan headlight, and will clear up the cloudiness in the taillights the same way. if anyone has the lin post it up. both of these have the same plastic material. http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f94/diy-wet-sanding-your-head-lights-very-simple-steps-321528/

3rd Party
02-21-2009, 08:00 PM
i've noticed how this site always relates back to some other Honda site...interesting

lostforawhile
02-21-2009, 08:55 PM
i've noticed how this site always relates back to some other Honda site...interestingwell they figured it out on the headlights,same thing works on our taillights. it's a well written tech article

3rdGenNewbie
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
thank you all for your input.....
the tailights arent oxidized they are just beginnning to get lil cracks in them... but that link you posted is awsome thatll help me out in a big way for my 05 vw tdi those headlights are gettin realllllll bad..... but in any sense ima go ahead and guess there is no way to, i guess ...fill in... those lil cracks n smooth it out rite...? if there is please let me know.

and while im here does anyone know of a good/cheap way to swap interiors i got that redish brown i would love for it to be black or grey.... i heard sumthing about using an acura i think integra interior but im not to sure about the particulars.