PDA

View Full Version : loud "spring" noise front front

frantik
02-22-2009, 07:57 AM
I notice when I turn the wheel all the way to one side and then move the car, something clicks or makes a "spring" like noise.

it's coming from the drivers side front wheel. i can also cause it to happen by bouncing the frame near the wheel.

i'm assuming it's a ball joint or some shit but which one?

russiankid
02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Which ones have you not replaced?

86ccord
02-22-2009, 09:28 AM
well on my mazda truck, when i turn to sharply a bold head knocks against the frame.. so it could be that...

frantik
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Which ones have you not replaced?

i havent replaced any of them

russiankid
02-22-2009, 03:30 PM
i havent replaced any of them

Jack up that side of the car and give the wheel a good tug. I use a crow bar on the lower ball joint to check for play.

MessyHonda
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
pico shop time

carotman
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Hmm the only ball joint I can see making such a noise is the lower ball joint.

Here in Canada they're prone to failure. Does it sound like a squeaky mattress?

w261w261
02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Hmm the only ball joint I can see making such a noise is the lower ball joint.

Here in Canada they're prone to failure. Does it sound like a squeaky mattress?

I'm having that problem myself, which seems to vary with temperature. Very cold or very hot, strangely. My mechanic said (last summer) that it's the lower ball joint, but the joint itself is not worn out. I definitely have to get on top of it soon, or the temperature has to get warmer, it's very disconcerting.

carotman
02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Don't leave this one unattended!

What happend most of the time is that either is lacks grease or water got in and it started to rust inside.

There's 2 things that can happen. The joint will seize from time to time. Once you turn the wheels, the stud will get weaker from the torsion and will actually break someway. If it doesn't seize, it will just wear and wear over time and could pop out.

Both outcomes are the same. The wheel will come in contact with the inner fender, causing a mess, possibly breaking the brake line and popping the CV joint out. Might also bend the fender...

It's going to look like this:
http://www.freewebs.com/toyotasucks/toyotasucks/hondaballjoint1.jpg

For some obscure reason, this happens mostly at low speeds where you turn more your wheels.

frantik
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
yeah its been getting louder so i want to get it taken care of. so lower ball joint eh

Pico
03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Frantik
Did you take care of this yet?
You know I have time now on weekends to help you out if you havent fixed it yet
give me a call if you need some help

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
what about clicking once the wheel has been turned more than 60*??

codyJDM
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
what about clicking once the wheel has been turned more than 60*??

Axles.

frantik
03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Frantik
Did you take care of this yet?
You know I have time now on weekends to help you out if you havent fixed it yet
give me a call if you need some help

not yet.. i need to a) find out what is wrong and b) have money to buy the replacement part :Owned:

i'll have u guys look at tomorrow if possible so i know what part to get

Demon1024
03-20-2009, 09:40 PM
the squeaking sounds more like control arm bushings too me, but if you do the upper joint too this wont be a problem.

frantik
04-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Went to the picoshop and replaced my outer tie rods today, it solved the noise problem and made my suspension feel so much better :rockon:

jdmca6
04-18-2009, 09:09 PM
nice u got it solved
is soo annoying the noise it makes/
i greased my joints with white lithium grease and wooaaalaa

Pico
04-18-2009, 10:53 PM
:thumbup:..
Ball Joints and prelude arms next...:D

frantik
04-19-2009, 01:11 AM
w00t sounds good

thanks again dude.. you did those tie rods before i could even blink :omg:

w261w261
04-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Went to the picoshop and replaced my outer tie rods today, it solved the noise problem and made my suspension feel so much better :rockon:

I've been wondering about my tie rod ends, as I have 217k. Can you tell when the car's up on the lift that the ends are worn? How many miles are on yours? Or did you just take a shot and it paid off?

LxAcc510
04-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I need to get on top of this too. My car sounds like a squeaky matress too =X

Pico
04-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I've been wondering about my tie rod ends, as I have 217k. Can you tell when the car's up on the lift that the ends are worn? How many miles are on yours? Or did you just take a shot and it paid off?
the original plan was to replace frantik's ball joints, when I got started I noticed that his outer tie rod boot was torn badly.
I inspected the ball joints for play and there wasnt any, so we decided to just replace the tie rods for now since that was really needed and there was play in the steering from left to right. ( the socket was ready to pop out of place ) we're doing his ball joints next and replacing his l/f axle at the same time since he has a torn boot on the outer joint.

I need to get on top of this too. My car sounds like a squeaky mattress too =X
time for bushings and more to get done.

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2009, 10:59 AM
w00t sounds good

thanks again dude.. you did those tie rods before i could even blink :omg:

You're going to get it aligned now right?

russiankid
04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Might as well get all the ball joints replaced and then go for an alignment.

frantik
04-19-2009, 04:24 PM

as pico said, the boot was torn.. you easily see it when the wheel was off but you can probably inspect them if you turn the wheels all the way to one side without putting it on the lift

the new tie rod ends barely moved at all in the socket while the old ones could be moved easily with one finger. I suspect they were original with the car (so 220k miles on them)

the ends were only $25 for the pair and pico managed to swap them in like 30 mins tops so if you've got any doubts just go ahead and replace them

You're going to get it aligned now right?

i'm planning on doing more suspension work soon so i'll probably wait. Plus my house is over an hour away from Picos and i didn't have any alignment issues on the way home so i might skip it anyways

Civic Accord Honda
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
i need to replace mine too.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/Dark_Accord/1991-Honda-Civic-DX/centertail029Medium.jpg

might get some tomorrow

my ball joints are still tight but when i popped the lowers out when i did the trans both boots deteriorated

Civic Accord Honda
04-19-2009, 04:28 PM
the ends were only $25 for the pair and pico managed to swap them in like 30 mins tops so if you've got any doubts just go ahead and replace them

were did u get them from?

frantik
04-19-2009, 04:29 PM
napa i think.. they were $12 each, moog parts in a napa branded box iirc

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
i'm planning on doing more suspension work soon so i'll probably wait. Plus my house is over an hour away from Picos and i didn't have any alignment issues on the way home so i might skip it anyways

Your only alignment issue could be that you burn up the tires in 3,000 miles. Did you at least do a poor man's alignment? You can measure the distance between the front of the tires and the rear and make sure that there isn't any difference. If you have a lot of tow, you might be in for a new set of tires a lot sooner than you want.

frantik
04-19-2009, 04:49 PM
my camber eats tires for breakfast :kekeke: luckily there's a cheap used tire place near me lol

i don't drive a lot so it's ok for now but once i finish rebuilding my suspension and some camber kits, I'm going to get an alignment and a set of good new tires

Pico
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I set the tie rods back to the same spot as the old ones.
I loosend the lock nut and carefully unthreaded the old ones and carefully rethreaded the new ones on, making sure not to disturb the position of the lock nut.
So he'll be good till he gets his alignment done

frantik
04-19-2009, 04:54 PM
thats why pico is the man

russiankid
04-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Its easy to change the tie rod ends. I remember changing the rack and pinion and somehow the measurements were different from stock. My alignment was way off. I spent 8 hours in the damn heat doing the swap and still had to go to work driving the car on the freeway with the wheel cocked to the left almost 1/4th to 1/2 of a turn.

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2009, 05:52 PM
thats why pico is the man

Agreed. Pico is the man. I do the same, but I've found the poor man's alignment to be more accurate. There are so many manufacturers of replacement tie rods out there, you can be careful and still be off by light years because the housing on the new one is completely different from the housing on the old one.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm glad you were able to get it all done and working great.

frantik
04-19-2009, 08:24 PM
lol.. word.. i will get an alignment as soon as we do my axle and ball joints, don't worry :D

Civic Accord Honda
04-19-2009, 10:34 PM
3g with broken tie rod
http://www.aa1car.com/library/suspension_failure.jpg

Rendon LX-i
04-19-2009, 10:47 PM
WHOA....damn....easyest way to replace one is to mark the inner tie rod end with whiteout and count how many times you turned it to get it off.. I did that and i was 1/36 off on the alignment rack...i get free alignments so that trick always works...

MessyHonda
04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
yeah good job...for me suspension needs to be good specially on a lowered car.