PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Cooling Fan

King Peetis
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
My fan comes on for no reason. I was walking past my car on my way to the trash can and I heard the fan come on. Also my fan will stay on for an extended amount of time after I shut the car off even if I only start it up for a minute. Whats up?

LX-incredible
02-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Possibly water in the fan switch. It is located on the thermostat housing, is the larger of the two pin sensors, and has a green connector. Be sure that the correct plug is connected to its sensor. If it's only coming on with the engine up to temp (more than a minute when cold), I would recommend replacing the thermostat with the dealer part and bleeding the coolant.

King Peetis
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Now that you mention it:idea:, I noticed it after I pressure washed my engine bay. I must have gotten some water in there. I'll be sure to check it out ASAP:thumbup:

Rendon LX-i
02-22-2009, 06:37 PM
your fans suppose to turn on after you turn it off...it only has happen to me 1 time in 8 years...lol

russiankid
02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Its not suppose to turn. If it turns it on than you have a fault somewhere.

Do a search on it. I thought they were suppose to turn on, but I was wrong they're not suppose to.

Rendon LX-i
02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
When you open your hood ....what does it say on that stick...KEEP AWAY FROM FANS..FANS TURN OFF AFTER MOTOR IS TURNED OFF....i still got my sticker...idk if it says it in that way but it says it....Maybe not all the time but i know it does...

nfs480
02-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I have a sticker that says the fans can come on up to like 15 minutes after the motor turns off. And mine do in the summer, not at this time of the year, so i'd say they're working correctly.

LX-incredible
02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
The aux fan can and will come on after the car is turned off on the LX-i/SE-i. The carbed models didn't have the fan timer unit, under the passenger seat, or the extra fan switch. When the switch makes contact at the set temp, the timer unit runs the aux fan for 10 min or so. The coolant temperature in the engine will rise after turning the engine off and will trigger the switch. It is normal for it to come on after a hot day of driving, in heavy traffic, with AC on. If it's 70º and it's coming on, you have a problem.

MessyHonda
02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
yup only fuel injected cars have fans turn on after the motor is off

Hauntd ca3
02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
mine have never come on after the motor has stopped

Rendon LX-i
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
idk....mine only came on once that was in tx when it was 105 out with no wind lol