PDA

View Full Version : Cv joint Axle problems ?????

314lxiSleeper
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
my CV joint broke today while i was driving , i pulled over and got up under the car my axle was separated from the inner part of it . ( the half shaft on the passenger side ) one of the bearings was gone i couldn't find it any where. I took the broken piece off and went a got a brand new one and the same thing happened ..how could this be ? what would cause this to happen ???

itzdave
02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
what piece are you talkin about? ya might just be better off changing out the cv joint...

314lxiSleeper
02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
i already did i got brand a new one

lostforawhile
02-23-2009, 07:10 PM
is it the right one? if you got it from autozoned or unadvanced it's probably the wrong one, do you have an automatic or manual? one axle is different. also how are your motor mounts? if they are worn out or broke, you will break them all day.

LX-incredible
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
The passenger side is the same for auto and manual. Could be mounts like lost said, or could be a combination of that and the outer joint getting pushed too far up the axle shaft. Not too hard to do when you are forcing it into the spindle because you decided to remove the minimum amount of suspension parts. I always check for horizontal play in the axle shaft after messing with it or the spindle, there should be none.

Or they could've just given you one from a different car...

POS carb
02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
if the center brace under the engine is not installed the spider joint will fail.
broken motormounts with worn suspension (especially radius rods) will also cause this failure

a mismatched auto/manual CV joint will usually just separate from the transmission, not blow the spider apart.

314lxiSleeper
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
:banghead:well today i changed the axle yet again and the same thing happend this suxs i have pics of whats happening to http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3306313773_ec6c75a56d.jpg?v=0

russiankid
02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Looks like the CV joint is getting pulled out of the yoke.

lostforawhile
02-24-2009, 05:30 PM
:banghead:well today i changed the axle yet again and the same thing happend this suxs i have pics of whats happening to http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3306313773_ec6c75a56d.jpg?v=0
where are you getting these from? it looks like the retaining clip is missing on the axle inself the one that prevents that from happening. or thats the axle thats too short

itzdave
02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
do they spin before putting them on the car? on the next one, hold both ends and twist real hard, see if it does this... ive never heard of this happening.

MessyHonda
02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
thats not fun

LX-incredible
02-24-2009, 09:35 PM
What have you modified on the car? Has it been in a accident? Let's see some pictures of the entire front suspension, engine bay, spindle, and axle. One of us is sure to notice something that's not right.

A18A
02-24-2009, 09:45 PM
also how are your motor mounts? if they are worn out or broke, you will break them all day.

i'd agree there, experience told me so 3 cvs later

lostforawhile
02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
for some reason i think that big circlip that holds the axle in the cage is missing, this makes the axle pop out of the cage . where are you buying these from? DO not buy them from autozone,don't even get me started on their crap. could be a whole batch of them assembled wrong. does anyone have an exploded picture of the cv joint assembly? if the clip isn't in there,the entire thing is defective. also what condition is your suspension,if something is broke it could be hyper extending the axle doing the same thing. how are you putting it in,are you taking the suspension apart the right way?

LX-incredible
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Stopper ring missing on 3 axles? Highly unlikely.
http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/catimgs/13sg70_b21.gif

lostforawhile
02-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Stopper ring missing on 3 axles? Highly unlikely.
http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/catimgs/13sg70_b21.gif
most cheap axles are made by the same company, if the store bought a number of them or the warehouse, it's possible a series of them is missing the same part. it's not like they are making a million of them a day for 22 year old cars. I bought two alternators in a row once from advance,both of them were missing the voltage regulator. i bought a starter one time from them,it was missing the drive gear. that one didn't make it out of the store. I don't buy garbage from them anymore. most rebuilt cores come from the same few companies, places like advance,autozone,pep boys,all buy their stuff from the same supplier, they may rebox it but it's the same thing. a few companies like Nappa still have a lot more control over the stuff they buy.

lostforawhile
02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
while on this subject,you know the trick about taking an extra long zip tie and putting one on each axle don't you? poor person you do it to will go nuts trying to figure out "whats wrong" with their car. jump in the car,take off and BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :)

LX-incredible
02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
while on this subject,you know the trick about taking an extra long zip tie and putting one on each axle don't you? poor person you do it to will go nuts trying to figure out "whats wrong" with their car. jump in the car,take off and BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :)

Haha, that's a good one. In the day we'd duct tape eachother's tires, after a while fap fap fap. Got me every time.

LX-incredible
02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
most cheap axles are made by the same company, if the store bought a number of them or the warehouse, it's possible a series of them is missing the same part. it's not like they are making a million of them a day for 22 year old cars. I bought two alternators in a row once from advance,both of them were missing the voltage regulator. i bought a starter one time from them,it was missing the drive gear. that one didn't make it out of the store. I don't buy garbage from them anymore. most rebuilt cores come from the same few companies, places like advance,autozone,pep boys,all buy their stuff from the same supplier, they may rebox it but it's the same thing. a few companies like Nappa still have a lot more control over the stuff they buy.

Anything's possible, but what would've caused the old axle to give? The guy needs to give us some good pictures if he wants to figure out what's going on.

You don't need to tell me about the crap they sell in those places... look at my signature, they reman 90% of that shit.

KENLUDE97
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM

Didn't you notice the 1st old one "clicking"? That is one of there warning signs that they are bad. Or did it not happen. It could be that your diff/tranny locked up causing it to snap, and the new one to snap. But it would seam that it would take WAY more torque to snap than a old accord and generate... ? I guess that i would take it back out and return?

How long does it take to happen? Like still in the driveway, a mile down the road or 10+ miles?

GOOD LUCK!

The ONLY good thing about AZ CV joints is that they are lifetime, i have gone thru 3 of them in the Prelude, just take them back and they hand me a new one, PITA that i have to change them but hey they are free. $90 or $300 for a new one from honda... You pick. ;)

itzdave
02-25-2009, 11:34 AM

i used to work security for a place back home that built ALL of the starters and alts that autozone, o'riellys, and advance use. multiple brand names, all built at the same place.. they take they old ones, take them apart, send to mexico to be 'rebuilt' then sent back to the place i worked, finished getting put back together, repainted, boxed, sold. no bs...

314lxiSleeper
02-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Well guys thanks for the help but im getting rid of the car its just giving me to much problems and its taking all of my money as well im going to upgrade to something newer

lostforawhile
02-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Well guys thanks for the help but im getting rid of the car its just giving me to much problems and its taking all of my money as well im going to upgrade to something newer if you let us help you it can be fixed but we need to be able to see whats wrong,it's probably something simple.

Dr_Snooz
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I did skim quickly through this thread. My guess is that you are yanking and jerking on the hub end of the axle when you install it. The shop manual is pretty clear that doing so will cause the inner joint to separate leading to the kind of failure you've been experiencing. You need to install that axle carefully without any yanking that will pull that inner joint apart.

LX-incredible
02-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Well guys thanks for the help but im getting rid of the car its just giving me to much problems and its taking all of my money as well im going to upgrade to something newer
Do no be silly.

You're obviously doing something wrong or something's misaligned. Posting pictures probably would have revealed the problem to one of the keen eyes on here. Dr_Snooz may have nailed it on the head, you pull that spider out of the cage and one of the bearings could fall out. You likely wouldn't notice it until you put some load on it.

314lxiSleeper
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the help guys but im going to school right now to be a auto mechanic so i think i know how to put a cv axle in the correct way and i think i can diagnose a car the correct way i know whats wrong with it and its gone bye bye ..:321::banghead:

lostforawhile
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys but im going to school right now to be a auto mechanic so i think i know how to put a cv axle in the correct way and i think i can diagnose a car the correct way i know whats wrong with it and its gone bye bye ..:321::banghead:if you are so smart why did you keep tearing up axles then, school doesn't mean you know crap about these old cars. the people here do. If you want to be arrogant go to one of the civic tuner forums. doesn't fly here too well/.

lostforawhile
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
sorry to go off on him so bad,but he asks for our help then throws it up in our faces that he knows how to fix it. if he knew how to fix it why did he ask for help then? I guess we are just a bunch of ignorant idiots who can't change a tire right? I hate people like that. ask for help then throw it back in your face.

Dr_Snooz
02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Yikes! Deep breaths everybody. The car is not to blame really, but if it's time to move on then it's time to move on. No worries, right?

LX-incredible
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
sorry to go off on him so bad,but he asks for our help then throws it up in our faces that he knows how to fix it. if he knew how to fix it why did he ask for help then? I guess we are just a bunch of ignorant idiots who can't change a tire right? I hate people like that. ask for help then throw it back in your face.

Yeah, he's going to be some mechanic... the kind who forgets to tighten the lug nuts.