PDA

View Full Version : 86 accord. PGM-FI Code 12

shawncb11
02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
First thingsfirst, this forum is incredible. Glad to see people are driving 20+ yr old cars and taking care of them so well. Got mine 5 years ago with pretty low mileage for being 18 yrs old(72K). Now it has 111K, not too bad still. Recently, was getting poor gas mileage so I gave it a tune up and new fuel filter. Was ok for a while. Then the pgm-fi light came on. Searched through here, checked out the ECU: Code 12. I have no idea what the EGR lift sensor is. Looking through here, I saw people had different symptoms when the light came on with a code 12 and saw different suggestions (change the valve, clean the EGR ports, check sensors, clean hoses, check for leaks etc...) What steps should I take? Here is what I noticed so far

1. High RPM on ingnition. 2000 then drops to 1500 and stays there. Is this a normal RPM, I've never notice it before when it was normal.

2. After driving for a while and stop somewhere(car in park) RPMs bounce up and down.

3. While stopped at a light for example, RPMs drop very low and car almost stalls.

4. Pretty bad gas mileage, only getting about 280(give or take a few miles) miles on a full tank. Most recently put 5.6 gallons in and almost empty after driving 90 miles.

5. Seems like car is jumping while driving at low speeds (25-35 mph)

I'm assuming these might be caused by a couple of things. What should I do first, second, third...?

AccordB20A
02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
12 LED FLASH(s) 85-98 Accord
EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

the high idle/rev bounding crap is usually caused by a vacuum leak

POS carb
02-26-2009, 04:32 PM
your EGR is probably leaking (either vacuum or exhaust) and needs to be replaced. The sensor is probably fine, you can check it with a multimeter.

gp02a0083
02-27-2009, 07:10 AM
i had ksomething similar over the summer, but i didnt replace anything for the egr system , jsut opened up the black box and cleaned out the filters in there

86-87accordlxi
04-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I just picked up a pair of LXi's for $350, the driveable one is giving code 12 as well. I'm planning on putting the '87 engine in the '86 but would like to get it running right before I introduce the problems swapping engines is bound to bring.

What should the sensor read with a multimeter? Ohms or volts?

Rendon LX-i
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
can always trying cleaning it. should fix the problem

Oldblueaccord
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I did a pretty decent write up a few years ago for the EGR. Maybe search under my logon name and see if it comes up I think it was in this section.

wp