PDA

View Full Version : fuck my life.

Tdurr
02-28-2009, 05:57 AM
So its raining hard as balls right now, and i just got home from limping my car home from the airport... why?

THE SAME FUCKING VALVE DROPPED!!!
wut the fuck man? Well yesterday was my birthday(this is a great gift!) and now im out a car, no job, with 145 in birthday money to fix this fucking car. I NEED A18 springs, gonna get another new valve, and prob for the hell if it, go ahead and p&p the head, maybe even get a b16 intake mani......
fuck man. right after i turn 18....:gun::rant:

89T
02-28-2009, 06:31 AM
wtf are you doing to drop valves? are you banging the limiter?
you have done this more than once?

ooh happy birthday.

2oodoor
02-28-2009, 07:13 AM
yes this rain is a mutha this weekend, dam look at the radar,, wholly crap
sorry about your woes.. and dropping valves is not a typical A20 issue, what is going on?
I heard of float a bunch at the dirt track without using limiters, but not dropping or coming out of the keepers.
you did not wire brush those stems did you?

Pico
02-28-2009, 07:21 AM
sucks to hear what happened.
I not sure what could be causing the problem your having.
Is there a unseen damage to the head where the valve sits causing the problem.
just a thought.

2oodoor
02-28-2009, 08:02 AM
sucks to hear what happened.
I not sure what could be causing the problem your having.
Is there a unseen damage to the head where the valve sits causing the problem.
just a thought.

good point Pico, I assume he checked that, the valve going into the seat too far , I dunno I guess that could create enough shock at rpm to allow the spring to untension enough to shake the keepers out. Or it could be the tappet was too close and heating up enough to shape shift the keeper grooves. :dunno: would have to be pretty extreme..

I would like to see how the regrind cam looks, mic it out to check the spec again too.
Tdurr did you get the spec sheet with it from delta or did you get that one used, I forgot.

labeledsk8r
02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
thats sucks balls man, good luck on the fix,

and i just saw your wanted thread, you will not be able to use the A18 head as it has a difrent intake runners then the A20, most prelude guys swap the A20 head onto the A18, just letting you know before you buy a head thats useless

86ccord
02-28-2009, 10:40 AM
the rain is coming my way quick.. but dang bro.. sorry to hear that..

MessyHonda
02-28-2009, 12:12 PM
swap it to a b and rev to 9k

lostforawhile
02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
anybody got a used head they can sell him? might be something wrong.also did you think of changing those keepers? it very well may be a bad keeper or the keeper got damaged the first time. never reuse components like that from something that has dropped a valve. it's also possible the keeper groove on the valve is damaged,might have been damaged the entire time,did you check installed height after putting everything back together? you possible have a weak spring or something too.

Rendon LX-i
02-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Damn bro...just another head and build it...idk wtf but something is wrong...

Tdurr
02-28-2009, 06:24 PM
yea i dono wut is going on. I got new keepers, and a brand new valve so i dono wut the fuck is up. i was at 6600ish rpm's this time, its fucking weird. I've hit 7200(on accident) but i really dont drive the car hard. Just hit 6.5k once a week and well it was raining today...

But i dont want a whole head, just the intake valve springs. I guess in my haste i typed the wrong thing.

and rodo, i do have a spec sheet. i really dono wut the specs mean tho. I cross checked them before to some of the ones ppl posted and it looked similar.

if there was something wrong with the keepers/something else i would have assumed it would have happend when i went to the mtns this past sunday... so i dono... maybe my car hates me?

btw was is valve float btw? im not 100% sure what that means.
and were is a good site to order parts besides rock auto and summit?

russiankid
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Valve float is when the valve does not close on time. Happens more often at higher RPM's because the valve spring is not strong enough to close it fast enough which is why you should upgrade to A18 springs if you're going to be revving high.

lostforawhile
02-28-2009, 06:36 PM
what year prelude are those springs off of anyway? nopi can probably order them new. i wouldn't want to use a used valve spring anyway.

Tdurr
02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
2nd gen, 83-87 i think. Ill check nopi.com then.
and thanks Russian kid. i got it now.
psh, nopi doesnt have valve springs. I might have to hit bisi up... lulz.

Tommy AC89 Thailand
02-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Swap new engine...this is the last choice...

Tdurr
02-28-2009, 07:25 PM
^^ ill get a new head first. engine has 8500-8000 miles on a rebuild.

also, i just realized that the timing was retarded a good bit both times this happened... could that have anything to do with the problem?

lostforawhile
02-28-2009, 08:00 PM
somebody carries stock valve springs for a stock prelude. you might cal nopi during the week,sometimes the website is hard to use.

Tommy AC89 Thailand
02-28-2009, 08:04 PM
^^ ill get a new head first. engine has 8500-8000 miles on a rebuild.

also, i just realized that the timing was retarded a good bit both times this happened... could that have anything to do with the problem?

Money for fix your engine I think It easy to buy second hand B20A here...

Oldblueaccord
02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Maybe the valve you have and the keepers are not compatible somehow. I dunno what degree locks Honda uses but there 8 and 10 on alot of cars depending on what type of valve you are using.

If you check youtube there some good vids of valve float as its happening.

wp

Tdurr
02-28-2009, 08:26 PM
good point lost, i did e-mail bisi tho... bout springs and a cam gear.

tommy, i would love to buy a b20 from there, but shipping + cost of the swap would kill me.

oldblue, i dont think so. Ill get some pics tomorrow, but the top to the valve(the thing that holds the keeper on the valve) is broken also, part of the side broke off so i gotta find it. Im thinking that might be/been part of the problem...

lostforawhile
02-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I emailed crower, if i knew all the specs of the prelude springs i could match them up,they have a ton of honda valve springs but listed by spec not car.

Tdurr
02-28-2009, 09:27 PM
sweet. Ill call some places tomorrow/monday and find out specs if i can.

labeledsk8r
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
cough cough

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=PRELUDE&catcgry2=1987&catcgry3=2DR+DX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=VALVE-ROCKER+ARM

cough cough

lostforawhile
02-28-2009, 11:57 PM
if you'll notice the inner exaust spring is missing from the parts list as is the upper retainer for the exaust valve.

AccordB20A
03-01-2009, 12:29 AM
get another head for the whole shebang

Tdurr
03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for that link sk8er. helped alot! it would be $88.xx if i got just the parts from there, no gaskets and wut not...

labeledsk8r
03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
no prob yeah it gets pricey buying from honda sadly, and i didnt notice that the inner spring wasnt listed i noticed it o nthe digram and posted from there. i thought the inners were the same on both the 3g and lude, thus only needing to order the lude outers? not positive at all about that

Tdurr
03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
do i need the inners + outers from the lude also? I thought you only needed the intake springs?

also
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13SB00_E12.gif
#s 16+17, anyone have a spair intake one laying around? somehow mine broke...
and good headgaskets? name some
w

Tdurr
03-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Update:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/3geez%20stuff/smack.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/3geez%20stuff/broken2.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/3geez%20stuff/broken.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/3geez%20stuff/block.jpg

And i thought this pic looked cool...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/3geez%20stuff/backround.jpg

Rendon LX-i
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM
damn bro...that sucks ass. by the time you know it. it well be back on the road

Tdurr
03-08-2009, 06:00 PM
hopefully. I think im gonna be getting the head ported and polished+ a valve job....... hehe then bisi is making valve springs now so im pumped.... this gives me a reason to upgrade...

Bassmastry101
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
would it be possible to shave the head too? a little extra hp if it wouldnt be a clearance issue.

A18A
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
whoooaaa

Tdurr
03-08-2009, 06:43 PM
would it be possible to shave the head too? a little extra hp if it wouldnt be a clearance issue.

it would, but i dont wanna raise CR cuz i plan on going turbo. :cool:

whoooaaa

lol. yea, i said a few different words when i first saw it...

MessyHonda
03-08-2009, 11:49 PM
so now you need new pistons?

Civic Accord Honda
03-09-2009, 01:27 AM
you should of drained the block before removing the head. just makes things easyer .

and what are you going to do about the botom end

Tdurr
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
so now you need new pistons?

nah its good, just gonna make sure that there are no sharp part from the valve smacking the piston.

you should of drained the block before removing the head. just makes things easyer .

and what are you going to do about the botom end

lol and yes, i forgot to drain the block, i was sick and in a hurry trying to get it done by today so i could sent the head off this week...

bottom end should be fine, i drove it 10miles home and didnt have too much of a prob :slap: lol

lostforawhile
03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
nah its good, just gonna make sure that there are no sharp part from the valve smacking the piston.

lol and yes, i forgot to drain the block, i was sick and in a hurry trying to get it done by today so i could sent the head off this week...

bottom end should be fine, i drove it 10miles home and didnt have too much of a prob :slap: lolno it's not good, the piston has damage now,it's unbalanced, the valve hit the piston,which hammered the wrist pin, which hammered the rod which hammered the bearing, it's fail somewhere in there soon, you never reuse engine parts with physical damage.

Tdurr
03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Hmm true, but im just gonna have to put it on the road to get from point a to point b. Asked a master tech about it before and he said it was fine so yea. ill just deal with it for now. Thanks for the info tho. guess ill start building up parts for good rebuild. :)

ghettogeddy
03-09-2009, 01:36 PM
i have a set of pistons for sale hella cheap

a new set

Tdurr
03-09-2009, 02:19 PM
20 over bore? I dont have cash on me atm seeing how i have to get the head up to par
lol.

ghettogeddy
03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
no as fare as i can tell there stock size

i bought them from ebay thinking they were a .50mm over

turns out that the manufacture the guy got them from stamped them with es1 witch is a pre 3rd gen motor but they use the same piston style just smaller
so there actually es1 pistons at a 50mm over witch puts them at a stock 3rd gen piston lol

so it was marked with a esi but the model number matched that of the a20
i have a spec sheet from the company and a few pics

and im only looking for 50 shipped comes with wrist pins and rings

Tdurr
03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
damn, thanks for looking out! ill prob end up doing all after market parts on everything tho.

ghettogeddy
03-09-2009, 02:40 PM
damn, thanks for looking out! ill prob end up doing all after market parts on everything tho.

umm lol
they are aftermarket lol
toto pistons

Tdurr
03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
damn ur ninja edit! lol, ill think about that one sir... but still, my motor is bored over 20 so dono if they are the right ones by ur discription

ghettogeddy
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
damn ur ninja edit! lol, ill think about that one sir... but still, my motor is bored over 20 so dono if they are the right ones by ur discription

if your already bored then no go lol