PDA

View Full Version : wierd idle

badbobb
02-28-2009, 11:10 AM
i just got an 83 accord se. when it is in park, it idles in the 4's and shakes a bit. when i take it out of park it drops a lil bit. also when im stopped and start to takie off it almost dies so i have to hit the gas a few times. it also kind of hesitates when accelerating. she only has 115k miles

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you should define what you mean by "in the 4's." I read that as 4,000 rpms, which is obviously wrong.

As for the hesitation, run a can of injector cleaner through it and do a tune-up. If that doesn't help, let us know.

Rough idle is typically caused by bad motor mounts.

badbobb
02-28-2009, 11:27 PM
its carburated. im planning on the tune up when i wake up.

Dr_Snooz
03-01-2009, 08:10 AM
its carburated. im planning on the tune up when i wake up.

Run it anyway. Carbs get gunky too.

badbobb
03-02-2009, 04:59 AM
what is the car supposed to idle at anyways? i know on my crx it should idle a little under a grand. that is feul injected, do carbs have a diff idle than fuel injected?

badbobb
03-02-2009, 07:08 PM
i went to auto zone for some carb cleaner. can you believe that this old *@#$ argued with me about how i dont have a carb, and kept calling it a throttle body? i even showed him and he pretty much called me stupid. after that, he asked his buddy, some honda guy. then he believed me after that. stupid old guy.

SZfiftyfour
03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I call it StupidZone. Because almost everone i've ever seen working there, knows nothing about vehicles.
Your problem sounds like the choke or a vacuum leak. Those would be the first things I would check at least.

badbobb
03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
omg! that accord is secksy! i need to wake up EARLY tomarrow to do a proper tune up then i should ask questions. someone mentioned my accelerator pump with the hestitaion thing. what ya think

Ichiban
03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
i went to auto zone for some carb cleaner. can you believe that this old *@#$ argued with me about how i dont have a carb, and kept calling it a throttle body? i even showed him and he pretty much called me stupid. after that, he asked his buddy, some honda guy. then he believed me after that. stupid old guy.

You should have kicked the shit out of that guy. Just like the guy telling me that the balljoints in my toyota always go. Too bad my toy doesn't have balljoints, it has two baby sized kingpins for each front wheel. When play develops, you remove a shim, play goes away. Awesome system, but according to the idiot at the parts store, I gotta buy these balljoints. Retard.

Anyways, if the VECI decal is missing off of the bottom of your hood (because I can't remember the idle speed for an auto off hand, and would probably ignore it anyways) take the common sense approach. Turn the idle up enough that the car doesn't threaten to die in gear, but not so high it pukes CV joints during the park-drive shift. I'd say a shade below 1000 RPM, and at least above 600-650 while in gear. Of course this applies to a warm engine with the choke off and high idle canceled.

badbobb
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, about 99.9% of the time, they are just ignorant. Although I was there one time, and one of the kids that worked there seen me getting in my rex and he showed me his teggy and we were cool. He also knew a lot about sh*&, now he gives me discounts! Yeah! I goto napa. They are smart and hooks me up too.
To be honest with everyone I know how to maintain my vehicle but know nothing of carbs. Im out of my element here.
What about the best way to adjust that idle? You know, how to get to it easily.
I dont really want to be asking and asking, so I was wondering about links for my car. You know information. I know I need to buy a book, but I want a good manual in PDF format so I can put it on my laptop. I got a cheap laptop just for E books. Much easier this way. I fuigured under a grand, but I didnt know if generations and years had the same idle.
I think my gauge is messed up. The rps keep bouncing around the number. Not solid at all. It says 4000 in park and 2-3000 in gear. The speedo kind moves around but reads the speed though. Another thing is, the trip stays on 0. It wants to move but bounces back to 0. With all these probs in the cluster, one would think its going out. What you think?

badbobb
03-04-2009, 05:17 AM
what yall think?

badbobb
03-05-2009, 04:34 AM
hey, is anyone there? im needing your guys help?!!!!!!!!!!

Placebo
03-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Seriously man, go get a manual, Chiltons or Haynes. I appreciate that you want it on your laptop in PDF, but you can get a hardcopy for $15 or less. I'm not sure companies are rushing out to publish digital manuals for 84 Accords. I could be wrong but I don't know if that's a growth market. Besides, my manuals are covered with dirt and grease. Do you really want your laptop to be covered with that?
Finally, once you have a manual you won't have to wait for a response to basic questions like how to adjust the idle, which incidentally can be done by turning the knob on the back of the carb (the side facing the firewall). :ugh2:

Ichiban
03-05-2009, 04:56 PM
My trip meter screws up like that too. I think someone had the cluster apart and buggered it up. If I want to reset my trip meter I have to hit the button 20 times until it finally zeros and then pull the reset button out with my fingers or it doesn't begin counting again. You should check your ignition parts (cap, coil, wires, etc) for arcing or loose connections, these can cause poor performance and also mess with the tach readings.

Hope some of this helps.

2ndGenGuy
03-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Alldata sells the manuals online.

badbobb
03-05-2009, 09:43 PM
hmmm, i noticed that little knob thing. i just wasnt sure about it. im picking up my book in the morning. sorry bout tha stupid questions guys.