PDA

View Full Version : ECU numbers (not codes)

vercillo
03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I am trying to find out whether every car has different ECU numbers (identifying the unit itself). I am not trying to figure out the ECU codes (lights flashing, etc).

The reason is that I need to replace mine (I think), but it appears that I would not be able to read the numbers without removing the seat first, and that would be a pain easily avoidable if the numbers are all the same for certain models.

Mine is an '87 LX-i, hatchback (if that matters), manual transmission, fuel-injected (obviously), and located in California (if that matters for emissions reasons).

The information on which I am basing my request is quoted below, from another website. I need "the middle three characters" and the "last three characters" in the sequence.

"All Honda ECU's have a part number which is located on the side of the ECU and inside on top of the ECU connector. (Example 37820-P72-A01)

* The middle three characters are the most useful to identify what the ECU is (Example 37820-P72-A01)

* The 37820 is the general Honda part code for Engine Control Unit (ECU) or Engine Control Module (ECM).

* P72 is the code for the engine type, in this case it's a Integra GS-R.
* A01 is broken down into 3 parts. "A" generally is used for USDM ECU's, "G" is European and "J" is Japanese. There are other versions of this, but you get the idea. The second digit "0" usually means Manual transmission, where a "5" would mean Automatic transmission, and the last digit "1" is the firmware version number. I've seen these from "0" up to "3"."

vercillo
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
In other words, I want to replace the ECU, but my local Honda dealer says they cannot get new ones. They told me to try a salvage yard. So, I called a salvage yard, and they could not tell me whether they had one simply based on the year/make/model. They wanted to know the ECU numbers.

Demon1024
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Sounds like they have a pile of ecu's at the salvage and want to make sure that you get the right one. If i where you i'd just take the seat out, it's not hard, just a 14 and an extension.4 bolts. shouldn't take 5 min's. I know its a pj0-something.

vercillo
03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes: found it. It is a PJ0.

Strugglebucket
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
There are a few variations on the PJO. Just make sure you get one that came from an '86 or '87 LX-i.

Make sure it was from California, too.

vercillo
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
There are a few variations on the PJO. Just make sure you get one that came from an '86 or '87 LX-i.

Make sure it was from California, too.

Right. Thank you. I think that I have found one now that I have the full number.