PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Info Please

jpetrovic
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Okay, Well since Fixing my car from the accident is gona be cheaper i can invest in a suspension, it Really needs it :P

Soo im thinkin tokico blue But i dont know what type of spring i should get.

i DONT want my car droped anymore then 1.5 Inches due to the fact that a camber kit will be needed. So i want a stiff ride kinda like a bmw Z4 or a Porsche boxer Ya know stiff But still has a little bit of play when u hit a bump, i dont want it to bounce,

i've seen some civics that have drop springs and its terrible when they switch gears the car bounces and wheen they hit a bump its almost as if they have hydraulics :P

soo i know alot of u have m0dded suspensions, soo some input would be awesome

I wana Keep the Tokico blue b/c I THINK they are pretty good cheap all around struts, If u know better Plz tell me

Tomisimo
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
there are nothing more unless you get you a KONI sett. The KYB and Tokico will never be as stiff as you want, it never gona bee boxter or z4 like on those shocks, the best set up if you want to lover no more then 1.5 or 1.6" like I dois to get some progressive springs, like H&R or Jamex, and invest in Swaybar kit, to eliminate body roll.. and do all bushings, it helps alot.
Well correct me if I'm wrong :D

jpetrovic
03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
there are nothing more unless you get you a KONI sett. The KYB and Tokico will never be as stiff as you want, it never gona bee boxter or z4 like on those shocks, the best set up if you want to lover no more then 1.5 or 1.6" like I dois to get some progressive springs, like H&R or Jamex, and invest in Swaybar kit, to eliminate body roll.. and do all bushings, it helps alot.
Well correct me if I'm wrong :D

If i use Tokico blue with progressive springs will i get a bounce? or will it just be a Slight bit stiffer then stock

Tomisimo
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Tokico is a believed to be better but figures speak for it self KYB are 10-15% stiffer. so eitherway the car will me a bit stiffer then OEM replacement.
But You car get Bilstein HD and get them revolved to be stiffer.. its a bit costly but you get what you pay for.

Joay
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
If i use Tokico blue with progressive springs will i get a bounce? or will it just be a Slight bit stiffer then stock
I was a little worried about Progress springs being too harsh, supposedly the fronts are 350lb/in and the rears are pretty close to that according to this site. But honestly I live in West Virginia with some of the shittiest roads in the nation and it's totally fine. When you hit a bump the car bumps one time, rebounds, and stops. The ride is actually pretty close to my stock 120k-old setup.

For a 1.5" drop I think H&R Sports are what you want.

jpetrovic
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
well i did some looking and i found that JustAnotherMike is selling his Suspension Techniques Sway Bar set and his Koni Adjustable Struts in the tradeing post i shot him an offer. I'm set on working a deal with him to get those, i see he used progressive springs, (b/c hes selling them) if he anwers me maybe he can tell me how it they ride.

Tomisimo
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Well yes H&R are good, but I think Jamex is better.. somehow, they make some of the nicest set ups for European makes, and they do know what their doing.. H&R are also German tho... ehh

86AccordLxi
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I was a little worried about Progress springs being too harsh, supposedly the fronts are 350lb/in and the rears are pretty close to that according to this site. But honestly I live in West Virginia with some of the shittiest roads in the nation and it's totally fine. When you hit a bump the car bumps one time, rebounds, and stops. The ride is actually pretty close to my stock 120k-old setup.

For a 1.5" drop I think H&R Sports are what you want.

Progressive are progressive springs (most lowering springs are). They might be 350lb fully compressed, but not uncompressed. That's why the ride quality is still there.

If they were linear springs you'd probably be singing a bumpier tune ;)

MessyHonda
03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
well i did some looking and i found that JustAnotherMike is selling his Suspension Techniques Sway Bar set and his Koni Adjustable Struts in the tradeing post i shot him an offer. I'm set on working a deal with him to get those, i see he used progressive springs, (b/c hes selling them) if he anwers me maybe he can tell me how it they ride.

i was in the car and they are stiff

jpetrovic
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
i was in the car and they are stiff

sweet, he shot me a good offer, i just need to see how much shipping is going to be to see if i can get that budgeted in with other billz

markmdz89hatch
03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
nice. yes those Koni's and sustech bars will help a ton. Pair those up with H&R's and you'll be a VERY happy camper as long as Darryl and/or Mike didn't push those Koni's too hard or too long. The Progress springs are very close to the Koni's limits, which is fine, but I would (just so you know) ask how many miles he estimates are on the shocks.

jpetrovic
03-10-2009, 04:58 PM
nice. yes those Koni's and sustech bars will help a ton. Pair those up with H&R's and you'll be a VERY happy camper as long as Darryl and/or Mike didn't push those Koni's too hard or too long. The Progress springs are very close to the Koni's limits, which is fine, but I would (just so you know) ask how many miles he estimates are on the shocks.

He said around 15K miles, and there 2 or 4 years old i dont remember. Not bad

markmdz89hatch
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
He said around 15K miles, and there 2 or 4 years old i dont remember. Not bad

yeah that should be more then fine. good luck with the purchase.

jpetrovic
03-10-2009, 05:10 PM
thank ya :) quick question...

I cant find Progress springs, at 1.6inch drop.
i found H&R Springs. Will the H&R springs be under the koni limits?

markmdz89hatch
03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
thank ya :) quick question...

I cant find Progress springs, at 1.6inch drop.
i found H&R Springs. Will the H&R springs be under the koni limits?

YES...

...which is not necessarily a bad thing. The trouble is that there's soooooo many spring mfg's out there for us, but nearly nothing for shocks.

What will happen with stronger shocks is that when you load a corner the rebound of the spring will be hampered by the high rebound valving of the shock, which again is not necessarily a bad thing. Where it can be slightly less than optimal (slim chance) is if you were to load one corner, then before the spring has a chance to return to resting position, you reload the corner, compressing the spring even further. Too much of too extreme of a double (or more) loading can (theoretically) cause you to completely compress the spring. (Load: A hard left will cause the front right to "load" courtesy of the weight transfer that occurs.)

Anyway, that's a slim chance as mentioned. With a harder spring, especially one of such stiffness as the Progress, although it'll function great, the H&R's will probably cause the Koni's to last longer.

Sorry, I'm a bag of hot air, and almost always give way more info in a response than is really needed.

jpetrovic
03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
well due to the fact i no pretty much nothing about springs and struts you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the info. :) thanks

Tommy AC89 Thailand
03-15-2009, 06:13 PM
My R-racing shock absorber.
http://rcw.ms/forums/picture.php?albumid=666&pictureid=4134

accordion89
03-15-2009, 06:17 PM
tire sizes? any rub with setup?

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
TOmmy why you have to tease. you have a nice setup bro. 1.6 would be perfect. regradless you going to need a camber it.