PDA

View Full Version : Alternater Belt Adjust - Tips or Tricks?

nerdmeier
03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I own an '87 accord. I had the belts replaced in Jan '08. In Jan '09 the alternator belt started squealing on start up. The belt looks to be in pretty good shape - it seems a bit loose. I've read posts in this forum about tightening the belt.

I can't figure out how to get my big hand in on the adjustment nut with a wrench - and then how to turn the nut if I ever figure out how to get in there. I'm able to loosen the top mounting bolt - and I think I'm reading that the bottom bolt doesn't need to be loosened.

Any tips or tricks you guys use to make this adjustment? Any hints on what I might remove to make the job easier/possible?

Thanks for your help!

ghettogeddy
03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
there should be a tensioner on the top liek a 10mm or 12mm bolt should be able to do it there

Dr_Snooz
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I bought a ratcheting box end wrench for mine. Costs like $15 but it's worth every penny. And yes, please do loosen the pivot bolt before adjusting the belt. Thanks.

Pico
03-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I used a prybar on the alternator to tighten up the slack when I tighten up the bolts

Rendon LX-i
03-06-2009, 09:50 PM
When a belt makes sound be carefull no to tighen the belt to tight. Mine belt looked go so i tighen the belt and i ended up messing up my water pump bearing. had to replace it.What you can do is buy some of that dressing or get a new belt. whats happpening the more it glazes the more the sqeualing going to accure. there only like 12 bucks

nerdmeier
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I bought a ratcheting box end wrench for mine. Costs like $15 but it's worth every penny. And yes, please do loosen the pivot bolt before adjusting the belt. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Dr Snooz, I'm heading out to buy a 12mm ratcheting box wrench today. But I'm a little confused - are you saying I should (have to) loosen the bottom bolt as well? I haven't looked real close but I thought I noticed a gap between the alternator and the lower mounting bracket - like the alternator was free to pivot around the bolt. I seem to remember reading on another forum that you didn't have to loosen the lower mounting bolt. It's cold here in the Denver area today so I'm not gonna mess with it today. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow so I'll have another look.

Thanks again to everybody!

Hauntd ca3
03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
you do need to back off the bottom bolt so it can pivit.

nerdmeier
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
you do need to back off the bottom bolt so it can pivit.

Thanks! I'll be crawlin' around under there tomorrow.

MessyHonda
03-08-2009, 03:00 PM
my bolt fell off....so i need to find another one soon...lol