PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft/Rockershaft ???

denhonda
03-07-2009, 11:46 AM
In my shop manual it goes on about the camshaft & rockershaft. Are these different parts or what?

This is to do with my 1602cc '82 that for years has had an annoying tap from the top of the engine. I had the valves adjusted a couple of years back but this made little difference really as the lobes are worn.

I'd like, therefore, to replace the camshaft but I'm confused if this really is what I'm needing...?

Ichiban
03-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Nah, they actually are different parts. The rockers themselves pivot on a shaft, that's attached to the cylinder head via cast pedestals. Actually, on the EK/EL engines, there is only one rocker shaft, as the crap counterflow head places both intake and exhaust valves on the same side of the camshaft.

I personally have resigned myself to the fact that the top end of the EL is noisy, probably due to the fact that every #4 exhaust cam lobe I've seen on these engines is totalled.

denhonda
03-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I see...

So would I need to replace the camshaft or rockershaft to get rid of the tapping noise?

The engine used to be silent when my dad first bought the car but frequent cold starts & infrequent servicing put an end to that!

This IS the year that the car will be seeing the road again... I even made a start on things yesterday but it was snowing this morning so that put paid to todays plans.

denhonda
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I took the rocker cover off to day & two of the camshaft lobes are worn... in fact one of them is totally buggered with heavy scoring & all, so no wonder the engine is a bit tappety! Replacement is the only way forward.

I take it I won't need to replace the rocker shaft ? The car has 90k on the clock so its not done excessive miles by any means, but what I don't want to happen is that I replace the camshaft, only for it to be knackered again by the likes of the rocker being worn... I'm just sounding out my thoughts here and don't actually know if this would happen or not...

2ndGenGuy
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Shoudln't be any need to replace the rocker shaft. I suppose you could pull the rockers off of it and see if there is any wear. But I doubt there will be a problem. If you do have worn cam lobes, the faces of the rockers might be worn down too. I believe a machine shop can repair those, but might find another head for donor rockers and then get all good ones resurfaced.

Wonder if there is some kind of fix we could come up with to help keep those cam lobes oiled up properly.

denhonda
03-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I've got a spare engine so I could maybe scrounge that for parts... that would work out cheaper too...

A guy I bought my old '83 spares car off always used fully synthetic oil in his Honda's. I used to use mineral 10W/40 in the '82 & the fact that the top of the engine is worn is saying a lot.

I was originally gonna swap the engine over but I'd like to retain the original one if possible.