PDA

View Full Version : friend bought a new 3gee and has a problem

danny nr crew
03-08-2009, 11:15 AM
well my friend bought an 88 accord 2door manual and started up at first and then smoked a shit load then killed itself and didnt want to start after o yea and its a carberator

mephi
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM
What color is the smoke? White, black, or bluish white?

danny nr crew
03-08-2009, 02:06 PM
i couldnt really tell cause he was behind us but i think it was whitish smoke but we checked the oil and it was over filled so we took some out but still didnt want to start
do you think that if we let everything set and try to start it u think that would help

cubert
03-08-2009, 02:41 PM
how overfilled was the oil?

Its possible if it was wayyy overfilled it may have fouled the plugs while burning the oil...

Civic Accord Honda
03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
sounds alot like a head gasket.... was the oil light brownish? like carmal color

Joay
03-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Does it crank and just not fire, or does it not turn over at all?
Three things: air, fuel, spark. Pull one of the plugs and see if it's (a) completely fried or (b) firing at all. If you can smell gas when you crank it without a plug in then it's getting fuel, but I agree with CAH it sounds like a head gasket.

danny nr crew
03-08-2009, 05:58 PM
it was like 2 inches over the second dot on the dip stick
im jus gonna tell my friend to take his plugs with him and a few tools to see wats goin on but it does crank it just doesnt sound and feel like its even wanting to start
o yea and the thing is we cant work on it right now because its in iowa and im 3 hours away so this weekend were gonna go again

bank2me
03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
it was like 2 inches over the second dot on the dip stick
im jus gonna tell my friend to take his plugs with him and a few tools to see wats goin on but it does crank it just doesnt sound and feel like its even wanting to start
o yea and the thing is we cant work on it right now because its in iowa and im 3 hours away so this weekend were gonna go again

2 inches over the full mark! Holy fuck what did someone fuckin add oil blindfolded. :nuts:

Hauntd ca3
03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
shit mate! taht'll be why then.
take the plugs out and crank it over for a we bit to get the oil out the chambers
stick some new plugs in her and you should be good as long as you've taken out enuff oil to get the level back to where it should be

3rd Party
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
haha, my brother did the same thing with his Mazda MX-3...way overfilled it so when you gave it more than a 1/4 throttle it smoked worse than most diesels. but once we changed the oil and plugs it ran fine. but this was also with a FI car...so lord knows how much of a hassle it is with the carb'd motor.

cubert
03-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I remember taking out an older suzuki streetbike that had stuck float valves in the carbs, so fuel was dumping into the oil. I was riding along and all of a sudden the bike lost power, I happened to look back in the mirror.....

well, lets just say there were no living mosquitos for a good 2 or 3 miles due to all the smoke :lol:

Civic Accord Honda
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5GmplkrBo
it sound like that?

cubert
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
what color was the oil on the dipstick? It wasnt a milky tan/brown/coffee color, was it (like CAH asked)?

danny nr crew
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
haha yea it was a shit load of smoke and it sounded just like that accord on the video so when we get to it we will do all the things it needs to start and just tow it back o yea and the oil was just burnt black i could tell the asshole who sold it to us never gave it an oil change
thanks for the help it would have taken me about 2 days to figure out that it was the plugs :D but ill get back to u guys this weekend and get you guys up to date

Civic Accord Honda
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
if it sounds like the accord in the video then it has no/really low compression. ether the head gasket is leaking badly, or the rings are really bad , or the timing belt is broken.
hopefully you can get it figgured out and get it back on the road soon

danny nr crew
03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
ok we got the car back to lincoln changed the plugs oil filter and oil gave it a jump and started up with no problem and runs great:lock:

cubert
03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
very nice :thumbup:

w261w261
03-16-2009, 03:13 PM
You might want to keep an eye on the coolant and oil levels. Make sure the head gasket isn't letting the coolant get into the oil and vice versa.

danny nr crew
03-16-2009, 04:52 PM
yea no problem man but i dont think it has that problem but if something does go wrong well make sure to fix it and keep it running cause truthfully these kind of cars arent meant to be left sitting around and getting old:D