PDA

View Full Version : Fog light wiring (PROPER WIRING)

Sabz5150
03-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Well, warm weather has been bestowed upon us once again, so it's time to get out there and turn wrenches :)

I have a new set of fogs which I plan on installing and I need to know how to properly wire these things in... they come on with the headlamps and switch off when the high beams are activated. The reason I ask is here in good ol Virginny, that's the ONLY way I can pass inspection. I'm sure that a few of you have had to deal with this same problem, so I ask: how's it done?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hauntd ca3
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
you need to wire the relay turn on into the low beam live wire.
that should get them to go off on high beam
wiring should go
tap into the low beam + wire,from there to fuse,fuse to switch,switch to relay,relay to ground.
that should sort being able to turn them on and off
light wiring should be
batt + to fuse,fuse to relay,relay to light +,and light - to ground
with the low beam + wire,you only want to splice into it for a signal for the relay to trun on.
and aslong as you run that wire to a switch before the relay you'll be able to run just low beams, or low beams and fog lights
here fog lights can run all the time and spot/driving lights have to be on with the high beam only

Sabz5150
03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
you need to wire the relay turn on into the low beam live wire.
that should get them to go off on high beam
wiring should go
tap into the low beam + wire,from there to fuse,fuse to switch,switch to relay,relay to ground.
that should sort being able to turn them on and off
light wiring should be
batt + to fuse,fuse to relay,relay to light +,and light - to ground
with the low beam + wire,you only want to splice into it for a signal for the relay to trun on.
and aslong as you run that wire to a switch before the relay you'll be able to run just low beams, or low beams and fog lights
here fog lights can run all the time and spot/driving lights have to be on with the high beam only

I know how to wire the fogs... I was wondering what to wire them to, i.e. where does the stock harness connect to acquire that signal.

I do believe I have found where... at least it's a point that will work. Here's to hoping.

lostforawhile
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
just tie into one of the low beam wires at the headlight, this wire goes to the positive side of your relay coil,the other side is ground,this is switched by the switch.

carotman
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
There's an output for those in the oem fusebox. I'm not sure if there's one for the actual headlights or just the parking lights tough.

Hauntd ca3
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I know how to wire the fogs... I was wondering what to wire them to, i.e. where does the stock harness connect to acquire that signal.

I do believe I have found where... at least it's a point that will work. Here's to hoping.

sorry
didnt know so safer just to give the whole process
if its wired for fogs from the factory, the wires could already be behind the bumper somewhere so have a looksee there for a start.
if theres wires there for them there should also be the switch wiring in the dash and an unused fuse in the fuse box.
if none of that stuff is there, just tap into the low beam + wire like said earlier

Sabz5150
03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
sorry
didnt know so safer just to give the whole process
if its wired for fogs from the factory, the wires could already be behind the bumper somewhere so have a looksee there for a start.
if theres wires there for them there should also be the switch wiring in the dash and an unused fuse in the fuse box.
if none of that stuff is there, just tap into the low beam + wire like said earlier

Understood :)

According to the manual, the control box for the headlight retractor units has what I am looking for... a lead that gives a positive 12 when the lights are on and only with low beams. I can tie into that and the rest is a snap.

Also, for eye candy sake... here's a pic of the fogs I picked up.

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/newfogs.jpg

These won't stick out of the 88-89 bumper like a pair of Cleetus teeth (like the 86-87 fogs I currently have).

jpetrovic
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
GameBoy Color:D^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice Fogs Btw :)

Hauntd ca3
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Coolness
nice looking lights eh
dont forget pics when finished