PDA

View Full Version : problem with the idling

Nik247
03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
i have a 89 lxi manual and after i start it and the car is idling it tends to rev up bout couple hundred rpms and then goes back to the normal idle but it does it repeatedly ever second or so this problem goes away after bout 10 mins of drivin but can someone pls tell me wats wrong?

3rd Party
03-09-2009, 08:56 PM
i have a 89 lxi manual and after i start it and the car is idling it tends to rev up bout couple hundred rpms and then goes back to the normal idle but it does it repeatedly ever second or so this problem goes away after bout 10 mins of drivin but can someone pls tell me wats wrong?

the fluid's low in your idle control valve...it works like a plunger to regulate idle, and if the fluid's low it'll move up and down a bit 'till it settles at the level of the liquid. i think NAPA's one of the few parts stores that actually carries a sort of, "Lucas Stabilizer" fluid that prevents the idle control valve from loosing it's fluid in the future.

AZmike
03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
The only idle valve with liquid in it is the cold idle valve. It uses the engine's coolant--nothing special. Check your coolant level and bleed any air out of the system. The fact that it gets better as the engine warms up means it's almost certainly this valve. If the cooling system is ok, do a search for cold idle valve and you should pull up plenty of ideas of what to try next.

3rd Party
03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
The only idle valve with liquid in it is the cold idle valve. It uses the engine's coolant--nothing special. Check your coolant level and bleed any air out of the system. The fact that it gets better as the engine warms up means it's almost certainly this valve. If the cooling system is ok, do a search for cold idle valve and you should pull up plenty of ideas of what to try next.

that was completely meant as a joke...:inout: