PDA

View Full Version : Started leaking coolant from this hose. Help me name it

geeteedan
03-10-2009, 12:36 PM
changed out the egr valve today and thought everything was running perfect. Well i drive around for a little while to see if the check engine light comes on like it always does but i guess the new egr is working cuz the check engine light never comes on. Well, once i get back home i notice the temp gauge is almost up to H so i turn it off and pop the hood and theres coolant leaking for a hose now. Looks like a screw was rubbing on it put a hole in it. Now i need to get a replace ment hose TODAY and have no idea what kind of hose it is. Heres a few pics; the red arrows are pointing to the hose and btw its an 89 LXI
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/geeteedan/car009-2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/geeteedan/car012-1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/geeteedan/car010-3.jpg

itzdave
03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
im at work right now and i cant see photobucket pix on the military computers. but it sounds like youre not talking about an upper or lower radiator hose, my guess is that its one of the heater hoses. best advise i can give ya is to (if ya got another car) just cut a piece of the hose and measure 'about' how much of it ya need. then go to autozone or where ever and tell them you need a foot or two or three of some heater hose thats that diameter on the inside of the hose; 'inner dia.' then grab some hose clamps and youre good as new! :cheers:

turabaka
03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
It's called a heater hose. You'll have to do what itzdave said, and just get the proper length of hose from Autozone or something.

geeteedan
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
It's called a heater hose. You'll have to do what itzdave said, and just get the proper length of hose from Autozone or something.

yea, thanks guys

it is the upper heater hose, called the local stealership and they wanted $48 for it. Um yea, i dont think so. Just gonna head to napa or autozone and cut the length i need

already got the old one off

ZeroLux
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I shall call it Theodore.

geeteedan
03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I shall call it Theodore.

i was thinking more like pedro :dunno:

mephi
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Tim?

geeteedan
03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
ight, got it replaced with some more heater hose but found a new problem now. Went to fill the resivor with coolant and the freaking tank is cracked now and just leaks onto the ground. So, topped off the radiator (btw: which is full of rust) and drove home. Luckly the temp didnt move and stayed dead in the middle of H and C so i think it will be ok to drive for a while. Father in law is going to check out 2 of the local scrap yards tomorrow for another resivor tank to swap out. In the mean while, is there any way to clean out that radiator?

Civic Accord Honda
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
get a flush kit from walmart there cheap and should clean out that radiator

geeteedan
03-10-2009, 04:58 PM
get a flush kit from walmart there cheap and should clean out that radiator

thanks, will check that out friday (next day im off)

any idea what it runs?

itzdave
03-11-2009, 04:44 PM

damn im good... couldnt even see the pix and i knew what he was talkin about! lol

geeteedan
03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
damn im good... couldnt even see the pix and i knew what he was talkin about! lol

lol

found out that 4 hoses where dry rotted so replaced them all and getting the radiator flushed this weekend

w261w261
03-13-2009, 08:36 AM
One thing that made a big difference for me was to use distilled water exclusively, including during the last part of the flushing process. Unless you drain the block separately, you can't drain the whole system through the radiator drain. Consequently, if you flush with tap water, then refill with distilled, you'll still have non-distilled as a good part of the total, and that rusty look will appear much sooner.

Also, if you don't drain the block separately, when you are refilling the system after a flush, you have to use a much higher percentage of anti-freeze than 50%, as the block is more dilute at that point. Get one of those little gauges with the floating balls that will test the anti-freeze level - they don't cost much. You want around -35 protection, not for the freeze protection (but of course that too), but for the anti-corrosion properties.

Don't forget to bleed the system via the little bolt near the thermostat.

russiankid
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Distilled water is the best. I don't use any other than distilled.

accordion89
03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
its funny every shot hose I have had has been from those factory wire clamps, I replace them with the screw compression deelies

Dr_Snooz
03-14-2009, 07:01 AM
lol

found out that 4 hoses where dry rotted so replaced them all and getting the radiator flushed this weekend

I suspect all the ones you haven't changed are lined up, waiting for their opportunity to fail. Replace them all. It's a chore, but will keep you from being stranded. W261w261's advice is good. You should follow it.

Rendon LX-i
03-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Distilled water is the best. I don't use any other than distilled.

x2....Reasong distilled water is better dont cause the nasty build up that regular water does. best thing i ever did. Very good on aluminum;)