PDA

View Full Version : running rich?

accordion89
03-12-2009, 11:16 AM
It kills me to see the time some put into their cars before driving, theres one thread about a 380 dollar ebay car thats inspriring, I'm having problems with my car smoking out the tail pipe, looking at the smoke its not blue colored or smokes downhill, its grey at start ups and clouds up and goes away

I know I have to adjust my valve height, not mechanical, but any ideas?
I still drive my car even with this problem, I go to shool full-time and seattle weather impedes my automotive time cause I live in an apartment and dont want my apt manager questioning me

Oh you guys were very helpful about my torn fuel line, I fixed that, very easy

accordion89
03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I know I have to adjust my valve height, not mechanical, but any ideas?

* I'm not mechanical, rather

2ndGenGuy
03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
It smokes on startup? But goes away after a while? That sounds like either you've got a valve stem seal leak if it's black smoke, or if it's just steam, that's just a cold engine and it's normal. Especailly here in our climate, my cars always puff out steam in the morning. If it goes away after a few minutes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe give it a whiff, it also should be a little rich when it's cold, it helps with cold starting, it's caused by the choke being closed.

If you're looking to do a valve adjust, I recommend picking up a Chiltons or Haynes. Even better would be a factory Honda manual. It's a sort of detailed process, but isn't really hard.

accordion89
03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
oh yeah, valves I'm not to worried about, the weather is a deturent

its a grey smoke, but I dont think its because of the cold weather,

lol, I'm taking a final right now

russiankid
03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Does the car run rough when you first start it up?

accordion89
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
what do you meen by rough, not that I've noticed, i give it a little gas when starting

i had a problem with the motor deisling after turn off, but it hasnt done it since i replace my fuel filter, not sure if that fixed the problem, but it runs a little better

accordion89
03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
lol, I just finished one of my finals, think I aced it

2ndGenGuy
03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Good work on the final. :)

Dieseling, I believe, is a sign of running lean.

accordion89
03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Good work on the final. :)

Dieseling, I believe, is a sign of running lean.

Hmmm, my thinkings backwards, I will have to read up on it

not afraid to work on my car, just if I'm lacking in knowledge

I was having a problem with the idle raising up to about 2900, not eraticly, but on initial take off, if i would shut off it would deisle, and would not fire up when trying to start, I was thinking fuel problem, my filter looked as if it was never replaced, so I replaced it and the hose attached (tore when taking filter off :/ )

2ndGenGuy
03-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Oooh I see. Well if you shut the engine off while the revs are high, the throttle plates stay open a bit, while the fuel supply cuts, hence a lean condition at shutdown.

Definitely replace BOTH fuel filters. Hmm I am pretty sure the 3gee also has 2 fuel filters, that might just be the 2gee. Well replace whatever amount of filters you have.

The problem with the high idle is probably related to one of your thermovalves. It basically controls vacuum to the high idle solenoid based on temperature of the coolant. It's supposed to keep the idle up while the engine is cold. Sounds like that it going haywire, or perhaps the solenoid itself is sticking, and a little WD40 could fix it.

russiankid
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
The reason I ask if its running rough is because if your choke does not operate properly it will make the car rich. I know it did in mine.

accordion89
03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
the only time it is rough is when putting in drive at startup if the idle doesnt drop

2ndGenGuy
03-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Hmm, well let us know if you find anything out. Check out the choke and make sure it's closed when the car is off, and opens up after the car is running again.

accordion89
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
ok, I have a haynes manual, thanks for pointing me into some directions

Hauntd ca3
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
run on/diesiling can be caused by the lean mixture mentioned before, incorrect ign timing, build up of carbon in the combustion chamber or even a spark plug thats of to high of a heat range.
i think carb 3g has two fuel filters, ones right at the back of the car somewhere.

accordion89
03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
there are two filters, ones up by the carb, I havent replaced that yet, havnt found time to do it, I'm going to try to do as much as I can in the engine bay when I can

accordion89
03-13-2009, 01:19 PM
there are two filters, ones up by the carb, I havent replaced that yet, havnt found time to do it, I'm going to try to do as much as I can in the engine bay when I can,

I replaced the lower filter by the tank/left travel arm of the car along with the hoses, I was surprised how much a shop in washington charges to do this, jiffy dudes charge like 70 to do it w/o the hoses, I paid like $4 for the filter and $6 for the hoses

russiankid
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
When you replace the hose under the hood replace the lines a well. Cheap insurance.