PDA

View Full Version : Engine "Stumbling?"

nerdmeier
03-13-2009, 03:48 PM
'87 Accord

Starts reliably. Idles smoothly. Pulls strongly and smoothly on acceleration. Stumbles in the cruising range:confused:. Started stumbling occasionally a few years ago and got worse over the course of a couple years. Now it's an all the time thing. By stumbling I mean it feels like an occasional "miss". Not enough to not drive the car - just annoying! It's not consistent - some days it's worse than others.

Doesn't stumble until the engine is warmed up - the first few minutes after a cold start it runs smoothly in the mid-throttle range. Plugs are good. Passes the emissions tests here in Denver, Colorado with flying colors - actually gets a "quick pass" from the emissions testers - doesn't have to go through the entire test because the numbers are so low in the initial phases of the test. Fuel mileage is what you might expect from this model.

Local Honda mechanic says the fuels have changed over the years and the olde carburetor doesn't handle the new additive mixes as well. Tried a couple tanks of premium with no noticeable difference.

I've run a can of BG 44K through the gas tank and I think the stumbling has lessened a bit but not much.

I should repeat - it never stumbles on idling or acceleration - just at a partial throttle - both in city driving and highway driving.

Anybody else with this problem? Or with knowledge of how to remedy the issue?

Rendon LX-i
03-13-2009, 06:26 PM
crabs

-$MOKIN-
03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
thermostat / sensors ....... fluid check

Demon1024
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
sounds like rrrrrrrrrpop rrrrpop pop rrrrrrrpop huh?
Mine does that too and it's efi been driving me crazy. it's been asked before but i dont remember the outcome of the conversation. hopefully the asnswer will come up again and i'll remember to bookmark this page!

lostforawhile
03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
maby the new alachol fuel is making it drunk,causing it to stumble. :beer: