PDA

View Full Version : Fuck! My tranny is screwed up but what/why?!?

POS carb
09-28-2002, 01:28 PM
It figures!!!!!! I get my air fixed and the same day my tranny goes ape shit. :banghead: Here it is

It holds gears! Like a stuck throttle valve (TV) but the motion is totally unobstructed and it is still functioning but it definately feels like the tranny is building excess pressure. It holds first gear till redline, sometimes past, it's annoying as hell, I have to get on it and let off or shift it into D2.

BUT MY SHIT PULLS like someone stuck a STAGE 8 torque converter in there while I wasn't looking, accelleration is harder and faster but not because of the gears and the revving, it's the pressure or something.

It also holds forever shifting in all gears, and I can't put it in neutral to drop the pressure and put it back in gear cuz it goes right back to the same gear. It also has erratic pressure on decelleration and it also holds the gear sometimes even when you push the gas (sounds like when you punch it in a stickshift car) so I think it has some fucked up valving like to the torque converter lockup or a really bad clog

oh and when you first start it now and put it in reverse it feels like it's hunting for like 1/2 a second then it makes a mild grind/clackclack sound (not the typical "chaaack" sound it always makes when changing from reverse to neutral) but it reverses just fine. And it only does it this when you first start it. It makes no abnormal noises while driving either, it's like someone is holding the tv cable up

I changed the fluid, looks like I'm going to have to try a tranny flush or finally get a 5-speed

Can anybody figure this out? Did anybody read this far? :sadwave:

POS carb
09-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Oh yea, if it's holding first and I go to D2 it does go to 2nd gear and then when I shift back to D4/D3 it goes back to 1st gear but it's like shifting your 5-speed into 1st and leaving the clutch depressed. The rpms are low and you push the gas and it free-revs all the way untilit catches up to the car (like if you're going 30 I can rev like between 1-5k rpms until it reaches whatever rpm = 30 mph in 1st gear) I hope someone gets this cuz I know it must sound chinese to you guys. :help: :help: :help:

doug
09-28-2002, 01:32 PM
it sounds like all the abuse has finally taken its toll, automatics never were Honda high points.

jteuton
09-28-2002, 01:38 PM
cough cough.....5sp swap.......cough cough

88LXi68
09-28-2002, 02:09 PM
start the chant...."5spd 5spd 5spd"

POS carb
09-28-2002, 02:13 PM
whatever, I'm going to go drive home now, lets see if it's gotten any better.
Does anybody have any advice for the atuo trans though? I'd rather wait a bit on the swap if possible.

doug
09-28-2002, 02:27 PM
no advice on the tranny, but I think you have already arrived in miami so change your location. :)

MoonScryer
09-28-2002, 04:08 PM
Check the cable that runs to the throttle? Torque convertor going bad? POS, I'd say you may need a tranny shop :(

A20A1
09-28-2002, 05:20 PM
So you've checked the TV Linkage on the transmission case and it moves up and down freely... make sure at WOT the TV linkage has an extra 2mm of movement in the upwards direction.

Cause I have driven with a locked TV linkage on purpose and the symptoms sound about the same.

but even with the linkage locked it won't rev past 6,000 rpm
Do you have a transmission cooler installed already?

POS carb
09-29-2002, 05:52 PM
nah, i had a rig made out of my old radiator's "cooler" but I took it out and still no change... I think my tranny is just dying of age/abuse :sadwave:

ACCORD EX
09-30-2002, 01:33 PM
you were so hard on it man ! :(

MIKE

shepherd79
09-30-2002, 02:07 PM
when was the last time you changed oil and filter on that transmission.

flamed89
09-30-2002, 03:04 PM
i have a similar problem with mine. some times, not all the time my tranny won't shift out of first unless i let off the gas, it's only first gear and it's done it since i've had the car. but i just bought a totaled lx and i'm putting the 5spd in it. FUCK AN AUTO! just do it man!

cruznz
09-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Engine flare between shifts indicate low line pressure....high pressure would give harsh application of bands/clutchs during initial engagement or during gearshifts....so problem could be either.....cable linkages...faulty vacum control(if equipped)...sticky regulator valve...blocked passages....sticky valves....govenor problem...vacum modulator....stator prob in torque convertor....a stall test and fluid pressure test would pick up the problem if u got a good tranny shop handy.......hope this sheds abit of light...:bandit: