PDA

View Full Version : what 5-speed tranny for my car??

POS carb
09-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Looks like I may have to buy a new tranny but I want to know what would be best to get? I know later model LXi's had shorter gears and Lude trannies had even better ones and maybe even a teg trans can fit?
What trans fit on the A20's? And what model/year do they come in?
Thanks!! :super: :super:

88LXi68
09-28-2002, 02:06 PM
check out what Phydeaux is doing in the "Project Central" area. 1st gen integra guts (gears) w/ an Accord bell housing. He is also using a Phantom Grip LSD kit. I have the Prelude Si tranny and it is pretty good. I too also did the auto to 5spd conversion, so if you need some help IM me or PM me.

POS carb
09-28-2002, 02:12 PM
I don't have the time for that at the moment, the most I'm willing to go is a 5-speed swap and if a prelude Si trans fits I'm going to get that. What should I look for in choosing a trans?

doug
09-28-2002, 02:38 PM
I'm not well informed on all the details, but I think the auto has a speed sensor that the manual does not have (could be wrong)
and one side (not sure which) drive axle is different. Call junk yards and ask for a 86-87 5 speed.

PhydeauX
09-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Prelude Si is the easiest, accord axles work, no mods required. Hopefully the teg is the best (the numbers say so), but its a whole lot of work. You'd also need to buy an accord and a teg trany to build the hybrid. I'm not sure if the auto and manual speed sensor's interchange, but you can use an 5 speed accord speed sensor in a lude tranny no problem.

andy

POS carb
09-29-2002, 05:58 AM
the "speed sensors" are the same in all the accords, it's just a gear driven device that regulates the flow of the power steering fluid (variable assist) and it has a hole to spin the speedo cable.

I have 3 questions about the Lude tranny...

1. what year?
2. what about the linkage... do I get an Accord one or a Lude one?
3. if the bellhousings are different wouldn't that allow for water and dirt to get in all over the flywheel?

I need some quick answers cuz I wanna get this fixed quick. My tranny is getting worse.

I'm off to go search for info. My new temporary AOL screen name is ericalegret28

88LXi68
09-29-2002, 06:31 AM
1)Any 2ng gen Prelude Si tranny. a2k5 is the name of mine
2)Use the Accord shift rods
3)The bell housings for the 1st gen teg and the Accord/Prelude are different. The accord and prelude ones are the same.

Also, you know you need a lot of misc. stuff like the flywheel and its bolts, pedals etc.

POS carb
09-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Oh yea, I remember reading something Andy wrote once that you have to use Prelude flywheel or bolts or something...

if I get the Lude tranny should I get a Lude or Accord flywheel? Maybe the Lude is lighter :beer:

Thanks for the replies :super:

88LXi68
09-29-2002, 03:49 PM
If you use the DX prelude tranny you need the DX flywheel and axles. if you use an Si tranny you can use accord stuff.

PhydeauX
09-29-2002, 10:11 PM
You can use a DX flywheel with an Si trany, but you can't use an accord or Si flywheel with a DX tranny. The DX is about 2lbs lighter and has a slightly smaller disk. You can use an Si tranny with an accord flywheel no problem. If you're getting the tranny from the junkyard the you might as well grab the flywheel from it too.

andy

night
09-29-2002, 11:54 PM
i have a 2.0 fly in my tranny, but it takes some grinding :)